Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Kilner Canning Supplies - Knock-off or Real?  (Read 1310 times)

• Liked: 680
Kilner Canning Supplies - Knock-off or Real?
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »
Ok. So I ordered two one-litre square clip-top Kilner jars on Amazon. They showed up, Kilner logo on front, usual labels and "Kilner Club" pamphlet inside. Bottom of jar marked "Ravenhead" with an embossed bird icon. Glass lid has no logos or markings. White rubber seals.

Decided I needed a few more. Ordered from Amazon, delivered.  Same logo on front. No markings on bottom of jar. "Kilner" embossed across the top of the glass lid. Orange rubber seals. The embossing (ok, actually, it's raised up and not embossed) is not as crisp as the first two.

So, I'm wondering. Are one or the other of these knock-offs? Are the original "Ravenhead" marked ones just old stock or something? Anybody have any idea? The first two were about a pound cheaper each than the last ones, and were purchased from a private vendor on Amazon. The second batch were purchased from Amazon itself.

The weight of the glass seems the same, no obvious (to me) difference in quality. They are all doing their intended function (holding dried foods). I'm just curious if I've been sold something cheap from China under the guise of the Kilner logo?

(I've written to the Kilner company, but heaven knows how long it'll be before they respond - if they respond at all.)

• Liked: 770
Re: Kilner Canning Supplies - Knock-off or Real?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
Their Wiki explains it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilner_jar

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 680
Re: Kilner Canning Supplies - Knock-off or Real?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
Ah, I missed that PDF. I had seen the page when I did my Google search, but not read thoroughly enough.

So they are just quite old back/dead-stock, the two. I assumed they were all actually manufactured in China (because almost everything is these days), but that one or the other was a "knock-off" product. From the research, it looks probably not. Will still be interesting to see if the company responds and what they say.  :)

Roller (1983:303-304) placed a postscript on the Kilner jars with two jars
embossed respectively “Ravenhead KILNER Jar” and “Ravenhead KILNER
REGD Jar.” These were made by the Ravenhead plant of United Glass
Containers from ca. 1977 to at least 1983.

Ravenhead Glass, founded in 1850 by Frances Dixon and John Merson,
Ravenhead became part of United Glass Bottle Mfg., Ltd. in 1913. The plant
produced a style of jar with the Ravenhead brand name that is considered a Kilner jar
(Figure 45). Ravenhead went into receivership, and the factory was razed in 2001 (Wikipedia
2016c).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:48:48 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab