Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Johnson to move to suspend Parliament  (Read 6585 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: Johnson to move to suspend Parliament
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
So, in the long run, does this have any bearing on Brexit at all?

The LibDems say they'll cancel Brexit if elected, but there's not time to hold an election, right?

• Liked: 716
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
So, in the long run, does this have any bearing on Brexit at all?

The LibDems say they'll cancel Brexit if elected, but there's not time to hold an election, right?

I think it has everything to do with Brexit. Increased pressure to resign, vote of no confidence or contempt of Parliament. I don’t think there is any way that he can defy parliament now and execute a no-deal Brexit instead of requesting an extension. I think it will be an exit with a deal in place or cancel the whole thing altogether.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
Seriously? You think he'd cancel Brexit?

I kind of wonder if he won't hold on, and hold on, and hold on until when he's finally forced out that it's too late for there to be a general election. We are down to just a number of weeks now, right? Five weeks until Brexit?  Doesn't there have to be a period of time after there's a vote of no-confidence for him to put together another government, and then after that another period of time required before a general election where people vote for their MPs?

What if he refuses to ask for the extension? Is it possible for Parliament to go over his head and go to the EU to do that?

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »
Seriously? You think he'd cancel Brexit?

I kind of wonder if he won't hold on, and hold on, and hold on until when he's finally forced out that it's too late for there to be a general election. We are down to just a number of weeks now, right? Five weeks until Brexit?  Doesn't there have to be a period of time after there's a vote of no-confidence for him to put together another government, and then after that another period of time required before a general election where people vote for their MPs?

What if he refuses to ask for the extension? Is it possible for Parliament to go over his head and go to the EU to do that?

Parliament makes the laws which once they receive Royal ascent from the Queen becomes the law of the land. The law requiring him to request an extension received Royal ascent  before Parliament left the chamber.  This is unchartered waters of course but the Supreme Court has now shown their willingness to force him to obey the law. He has been found guilty of lying to the Head of State (the Queen) and to Parliament so I can’t see him surviving to negotiate with the EU.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
So, same question then. Is there still enough time to hold a general election before Brexit? If the EU says 'no'... then it's no election and we crash out, correct?

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
So, same question then. Is there still enough time to hold a general election before Brexit? If the EU says 'no'... then it's no election and we crash out, correct?
It depends when Brexit happens. The opposition parties turned down Boris’s request for an immediate General Election twice because they know they have passed a law requiring him to request an extension beyond October 31st. It takes about 6 weeks for a General Election so I guess the next key date is October 17th when the EU next meets and if there is still no new Brexit deal for Parliament to vote on then by law he should request an extension. Labour’s position is now that if they win they will negotiate a new Brexit deal and put it to the people in a referendum to accept or remain in the EU. Lib dems position is that if they win they cancel article 50 and remain in the EU.

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
So, IF they have a proposed agreement to consider by Oct 17th, which is highly unlikely, Parliament still has to approve it. And then the EU has to approve it. Which would require an extension past 31 October. And if Parliament OR the EU does not approve it? Brexit, right?

If there is nothing to consider by Oct. 17th, Boris is ~supposed to~ request an extension. What if he does not? Who does it? And if the EU says "no" because there is nothing further to gain from an extension, then we crash out, right?

So why is it that Parliament does not want another election? Sorry, that one loses me. I would think that they would want a chance to get the Torys out of power. Or do they think that would fail?

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
There is still an outside chance of a deal as the only thing they are trying to change in the current deal is the Irish backstop and even the DUP have now said they would accept N Ireland remaining in the customs union in some form.

The opposition don’t want an election now because that is what Boris wants. They want an election at a time of their choosing, not his.

I really don’t know what will happen if Boris tries to leave without a deal on Oct. 31st. Possibly another high court challenge as he would be breaking the law.

The EU really don’t want a no deal Brexit, and certainly they don’t want to be blamed for a no deal Brexit which hurts everyone so I think they would be willingly to go for one last 3 month extension.

Of course, I know nothing ....

Sponsored Links