Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican Cheese Dip  (Read 2081 times)

• Liked: 10
Mexican Cheese Dip
« on: September 02, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
I know this is a long shot as I have been searching here and the internet but has anyone been able to make Mexican style cheese dip?! My kiddos have been asking for cheese dip all weekend and I must admit that I would love some as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
Re: Mexican Cheese Dip
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
This recipe is pretty good, but it's almost impossible to get the correct cheese for it here. And, as with all recipes, you have to kind of twiddle it to fit your tastes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/185796/authentic-chile-con-queso/

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 03:24:31 PM »
This recipe is pretty good, but it's almost impossible to get the correct cheese for it here. And, as with all recipes, you have to kind of twiddle it to fit your tastes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/185796/authentic-chile-con-queso/
I will see if I can get the ingredients and try it out! Thank You!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
Caveat, I'm from New England, so I don't know about anything authentic, but I've made super easy cheese dip with cream cheese,  'Mexicana Cheese', and salsa mixed in and it tastes good to me. Easy easy easy. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
Caveat, I'm from New England, so I don't know about anything authentic, but I've made super easy cheese dip with cream cheese,  'Mexicana Cheese', and salsa mixed in and it tastes good to me. Easy easy easy.
That’s a great idea! I will try that!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
And there is always the old standby - Velveeta and Rotel chilis and tomatoes. Both of which are excruciatingly difficult to get here. But you might be able to get a can of Rotel (they've been spotted here and there) and use a mild cheddar, and get something dippable. My guess is that the cheese would just separate, though.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
And there is always the old standby - Velveeta and Rotel chilis and tomatoes. Both of which are excruciatingly difficult to get here. But you might be able to get a can of Rotel (they've been spotted here and there) and use a mild cheddar, and get something dippable. My guess is that the cheese would just separate, though.  ;D
We usually bring back velveeta with us and that is my go to cheese dip but I forgot to bring some back this last trip! I did see it on amazon earlier for £19!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
I just don't get Velveeta. It wasn't something we had as kids and I think it tastes awful. Chemically and gross.   Sorry.   :-X
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:44:13 PM »
I do something similar to what Phatbeetle does, but even one step easier... no Mexicana for me... i just stir Mrs Renfro's Jalapeno Salsa into cream cheese and call it done.
We also have a Mexican deli place here in Glasgow where you can buy queso in a jar (can't remember the brand), but i still prefer my cheats version.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
You'd need to make a bechamel of some sort or the cheese would separate. But that's way better than velveeta, and my plan with the Rotel tomatoes that made my day.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
You'd need to make a bechamel of some sort or the cheese would separate. But that's way better than velveeta, and my plan with the Rotel tomatoes that made my day.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

+1 for this, I frequently make a cheese sauce for broccoli by stirring cheese into a bechemel.  With something spicy stirred in it would make a fine dip.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
We tried this last night and it’s a new favourite for us! My husband loved it!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
We tried this last night and it’s a new favourite for us! My husband loved it!!

Awesome, glad you like it!
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links