Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TaxAct free file.  (Read 1533 times)

• Liked: 0
TaxAct free file.
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
I wonder if /hope that someone can help me here.

I have just done my taxes using the IRS free filing option with TaxAct. I have printed my return and it has given me form 1040, schedule 1, schedule 6, 2555.  It has not  produced a schedule B. It asked me about my interest income and that is entered on my 1040 on line 2b. It did not offer me a prompt that I may need to fill in schedule B myself (as far as I recall, when I go to review my return it does not take me through this step).    It also did not produce form 8965 although I see that the instructions for form 1040 say I don't have to produce one if I can tick the box claiming I am exempt, which the program has done.

I  have printed out schedule B from the IRS website and will file along with the rest of my documents. I just find it astonishing that the program did not do it.  Has this happened to anyone else? It did recommend that I compare this years returns to previous years, which I am doing, and everything else appears to be OK.

Also, if anyone can confirm that I have got all the forms/schedules I need I would be very appreciative.  I am  a taxpayer abroad with only employment income, no pension plan contributions, no ISAs or any other investment vehicle, and no self-employment income. Also no gambling winnings, etc, etc. that come under other income.

I am wondering if  perhaps I may have clicked through info directing me to  schedule B accidentally.
I originally tried to file using the Turbotax free option, but got to the end and they asked for a US address. I think they may have mentioned schedule B. I used their paid software last year and one was produced. On a final note, I bought the paid software (CD) from ebay this year as in previous years, but it did not load.

Re: TaxAct free file.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »
To reply to my own question. I think I may have entered my interest income as if it came from a US bank. Hence no production of schedule B. I can see if I can enter the program to amend this.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
I am not familiar with TaxAct, bit I do use TurboTax which also has free IRS filing.  Looking at the printed copy of the return I do indeed Schedule B with the UK bank interest listed.  I enter UK bank interest as if I had received a 1099-INT, and I've done this for many years.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 45
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:42:49 AM »
I use TaxAct and find it very intuitive and easy to use. You can't use the free on-line edition for some common forms that we'd use in the U.K. For example 8938 and 1116 from memory are only available with an upgrade, (I paid around $15 with a previous year discount). Also it's not immediately obvious that you need the upgrade either.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
Thank you both for your responses. I will use it again next year and look out for suggestions that I might need to upgrade.

Sponsored Links