Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 2 things I’d like to teach the shops and manufacturers  (Read 2086 times)

• Liked: 325
2 things I’d like to teach the shops and manufacturers
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
For the manufacturers:

A cardboard perforation on aluminum foil or parchment paper does not work.  Stop pretending that it does.

For the food shops:

Avocados should not be refrigerated.  They go from hard straight to rot when they are.

• Liked: 718
Re: 2 things I’d like to teach the shops and manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »
For the manufacturers:

A cardboard perforation on aluminum foil or parchment paper does not work.  Stop pretending that it does.

For the food shops:

Avocados should not be refrigerated.  They go from hard straight to rot when they are.

I think the disappearance of serrated metal strips from boxes of foil and parchment paper may have something to do with health and safety regulations.

Our supermarkets where we live do not have avocados in the refrigerated areas. I agree with you, keeping them refrigerated is nuts.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
I think the disappearance of serrated metal strips from boxes of foil and parchment paper may have something to do with health and safety regulations.

Yes, think of all the needless disfiguring injuries and deaths have been prevented by the removal of serrated metal strips from aluminum foil packaging. Why, you could practically fill a London taxi with all of the people who have been saved from this deadly hazard.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »
Yes, think of all the needless disfiguring injuries and deaths have been prevented by the removal of serrated metal strips from aluminum foil packaging. Why, you could practically fill a London taxi with all of the people who have been saved from this deadly hazard.  ;)

Yes indeed, I agree.

While I was working I used to have a cartoon of a prisoner going up the steps to the gallows past a sign saying “Please hold the rail”.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:17 AM »
While I was working I used to have a cartoon of a prisoner going up the steps to the gallows past a sign saying “Please hold the rail”.

Good one!  :D

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »

Well, that’s ridiculous.  A kitchen is chock-a-block filled with sharp things that will cut you.  The metal strip on boxes of foil is considered dangerous?  I think it’s just cheaper.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 10:21:20 AM »
Well, that’s ridiculous.  A kitchen is chock-a-block filled with sharp things that will cut you.  The metal strip on boxes of foil is considered dangerous?  I think it’s just cheaper.

I bet it is cheaper, but they don't want to say "We'll make more money by selling our product to you in a slightly inferior packaging," so they say "We're concerned about your safety, so we took this incredibly dangerous piece of metal off of our packaging."

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »

Or more recyclable maybe? To recycle the cardboard box would mean tearing off the metal strip. This is all just guessing.

We spent 2 weeks in France this summer in a rented house, and the kitchen had 2 boxes on the wall with metal serrated edges for one to put their rolls of foil and cling film into so France maybe have similar issues with no cutting edge on their boxes?

• Liked: 15
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:56:32 AM »
Losing the metal strip means the pack is all cardboard and can be recycled.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 10:21:05 AM »
Losing the metal strip means the pack is all cardboard and can be recycled.

And I totally get that.  They just need to quit bothering with serrating the cardboard edge.  I’m sure it’s an added expense to manufacturing and it simply does not work.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab