Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: huff puff  (Read 1519 times)

huff puff
« on: June 08, 2003, 09:40:09 PM »
Sooo, I got a new bike-first one since university (in the 80's) and the plan was to ride it to work and back, but jeez louise, it is killing me.   ;)  The ride to work is fine-all down hill but the ride home is not.  I am now making it my first goal to get up the first hill without pushing, maybe by the end of the week.  Anyone with any advise or similar experience, and when did I get so old? :)

• Liked: 1
Re: huff puff
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 10:29:36 PM »
I'm right there with you.  Bought a bike a few years back and tried to ride it.  It was like hello those muscles aren't used to being used.  It gets easier though.  Took me ages to finally make it up even a small incline.  It's like with all training...you have to take it a little further each time.  

I also hated the itty bitty seat on mine and replaced it with a more female friendly one.   ;D

I got a big ole butt oh yeah!

Anyway, stopped riding around as it got too hot and there's no place to go from where we are.  I imagine it would hurt again though!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 03:47:27 PM »
hey there Mindy...  nothing like a good ole bicycle eh?  I think what you are trying to do will be best...  give yourself some time to get adjusted...  maybe go a little further up the hill each day...  make the top of each hill your goal...

Most important, make sure you are using your gears (if you have them), lowest gears are meant for hills...  I normally ride between 3rd & 5th gear since I too am starting out new again...  but when I come to hills...the small ones I go down to 2nd gear...and the taller ones I go to 1st...

Another way to do it is...  research and take different routes home...  you may have to ride longer on some, but if the hills are lower it will be good practice...and the farther you ride the more use to it you will become.

Good luck and enjoy...  bikes can be great fun...  a feeling of freedom in the breeze...  you will get there!

shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks.  I did much better today.  Got almost to the top of the hill without pushing-and then was able to get back on and ride much further than I did on Friday.  Made it to my final destination in almost half the time which was great, plus I remembered water today so I wasn't gasping when I got to the school gates . :)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 07:45:14 PM »
Yea! there ya go...  in no time, you will be wanting to come up north for a nice week long cycle tour around scotland or something?   ;D
depths of our soul!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 02:12:41 AM »
Heck let's go for the Tour de France?   ;)

I'll ride behind  you in the car okay?  Better yet I'll be in the lead car clearing the way.

Just kidding!  I am proud of you Mindy.  You are doing a lot better than I am!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 01:09:45 PM »
Hey gratz!  I bought my bike last year...and hello, bought a new bike seat that same week lol!   :-[

It sounds like you're doing really well with it.  :)  

Keep up the good work!
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 05:06:01 PM »
Heck let's go for the Tour de France?   ;)

Are you kidding...  if given the chance Tom would be right in there with the tour de france...

Most women complain about their men and sports on TV...  I use to be one of them (an ex sports widow)  with Tom I only need to worry about the Tour de France and motorcycle racing on TV...  makes me a very happy woman  [smiley=charming.gif]
depths of our soul!

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 06:55:21 PM »
Sheldon was already checking out tickets to Paris for the summer....100 years of the Tour and he's depressed he can't go.  ;D

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 01:41:22 AM »
When I moved here I was really bad with just walking. I would always be out of breath within just a few minutes. Was really embarassing. Jon is a really fast walker, so I'd always have to ask him to slow down.

It was only this last weekend I realized how well I've been doing. We went for a walk into town and not once did I feel winded (uphill a good part of the way) and I didn't ask Jon to slow down, so his back breaking pace the whole time!

It hasn't lost me any weight, but it's made me feel a lot better about myself.

Just wanted to share that with ya, Mindy. In a few weeks, you'll forget all about it being so hard.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab