Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American food  (Read 3724 times)

• Liked: 154
American food
« on: December 30, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
I cannot believe I’m saying this...l but I have been in America for two weeks now and all the food I thought I loved I don’t anymore.  Sure I still ate it, but I thought I’d enjoy it way more.

I struggled to find kids fruit yogurt for the kid, and was surprised to see all these crappy sugar ridden flavors. OMG I’m turning lol. I actually can’t wait to get home and detox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
Re: American food
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
Oh man.

The worst part is that once that happens, you can never go back to all those old favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
I cannot believe I’m saying this...l but I have been in America for two weeks now and all the food I thought I loved I don’t anymore.  Sure I still ate it, but I thought I’d enjoy it way more.

I struggled to find kids fruit yogurt for the kid, and was surprised to see all these crappy sugar ridden flavors. OMG I’m turning lol. I actually can’t wait to get home and detox.

Happens to us all, I’m afraid!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »

What store were you shopping in? I feel like while there is sugary crap available in all of them, some are much better than others for also having good healthy options. I miss the sushi restaurants back home, and bubble tea, but that's pretty much it beyond individual restaurants. I've finally found suitable replacements for most things (except GF flours, because the brand matters for recipes working out) and life is much more tolerable now!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 06:23:09 PM »
Happens to us all, I’m afraid!

Only thing I still love is triscuits lol

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
What store were you shopping in? I feel like while there is sugary crap available in all of them, some are much better than others for also having good healthy options. I miss the sushi restaurants back home, and bubble tea, but that's pretty much it beyond individual restaurants. I've finally found suitable replacements for most things (except GF flours, because the brand matters for recipes working out) and life is much more tolerable now!

Just the local grocery store. They did have a few organic stuff but they were like two or three bucks per container.

I felt robbed when we bought fresh fruit!  I do like some things better here but I just feel like my opinion of food has changed drastically since moving away.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »

Just the local grocery store. They did have a few organic stuff but they were like two or three bucks per container.

I felt robbed when we bought fresh fruit!  I do like some things better here but I just feel like my opinion of food has changed drastically since moving away.
Ah yeah, the organic is way overpriced both places :( I was very spoiled with wegmans, Trader Joe's, and a super target nearby so I could get everything I needed for the best price possible.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
Also, now that I can finally eat fresh veg (in small quantities) I've been reading salad dressing ingredients to find replacements for what I had in the US. Anyone else think that "French Vinaigrette" here is pretty close to Italian dressing in the US? The Italian dressings  here all have way more mustard.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »
Also, now that I can finally eat fresh veg (in small quantities) I've been reading salad dressing ingredients to find replacements for what I had in the US. Anyone else think that "French Vinaigrette" here is pretty close to Italian dressing in the US? The Italian dressings  here all have way more mustard.

Yes, I like the French vinaigrette here. I don’t like many salad dressings but always loved Italian so it’s a good substitute:)

• Liked: 71
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »
Only thing I still love is triscuits lol

OMG--they are a cult food favourite! My British husband loves them too, and I have just recently been able to find them in a kosher grocery store in Golders Green (near where I work). They are not cheap, but they do the trick. The ones I can't find anywhere are Chicken in a Biskit (except on Amazon). I am sure I'll hate them if I ever eat them again....
Met online: 12 Feb 1997
Met in person: 8 July 1997
Married in the US: 10 Aug 1999
Submitted online Spousal Visa application: 26 March 2015
Visa received: 22 April 2015
Left US on 7 July 2015; arrived in the UK: 8 July 2015
FLR(M) application approved: 13 Jan 2018
BRP received: 17 Jan 2018
ILR(M) application submitted online: 11 June 2020
ILR(M) approved: 12 Nov 2020
BRP received: 17 Nov 2020
Naturalisation submitted (Nov 21); confirmed (Nov 23)
Biometrics: 21 Dec 2020
UK Citizenship email: 29 March 2021
Citizenship ceremony: 14 June 2021

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
Last time I was in Costco, I bought a two pack of party size Cheetos.  The super crunchy kind.  My French relatives were in town and packing a picnic for the trip back home, so I offered them a bag to try out.  Here's what happened:

(What's reasonable) Oh, thank you!  We'll give those a try.  They must be good if you like them so much.  Gosh, I noticed that you've given us one of only two bags, and it looks like they came straight over from the USA.  We are extra thankful.  We'll be sure to let you know how we liked them. 

(What actually happened) Ugh, I'm sure this will taste horrible.  Look at the ingredients, there's no cheese in here.  Look at how much MSG there is. 

I held my tongue and politely suggested that my feelings would not be hurt if they thought it wasn't what they wanted and didn't want to take it.  Surprisingly, they decided to grudgingly accept the bag after talking some more sh*t.

Grrrr

Guests and fish get very old after 3 days.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
Last time I was in Costco, I bought a two pack of party size Cheetos.  The super crunchy kind.  My French relatives were in town and packing a picnic for the trip back home, so I offered them a bag to try out.  Here's what happened:

(What's reasonable) Oh, thank you!  We'll give those a try.  They must be good if you like them so much.  Gosh, I noticed that you've given us one of only two bags, and it looks like they came straight over from the USA.  We are extra thankful.  We'll be sure to let you know how we liked them. 

(What actually happened) Ugh, I'm sure this will taste horrible.  Look at the ingredients, there's no cheese in here.  Look at how much MSG there is. 

I held my tongue and politely suggested that my feelings would not be hurt if they thought it wasn't what they wanted and didn't want to take it.  Surprisingly, they decided to grudgingly accept the bag after talking some more sh*t.

Grrrr

Guests and fish get very old after 3 days.

You GAVE AWAY Cheetos?!??  I would have filed for divorce over that!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
To be fair, I was so happy that they were finally leaving I was ready to do anything. 

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
To be fair, I was so happy that they were finally leaving I was ready to do anything. 

BWAHAHAHA.  That I can relate to.  But seriously.  Walkers cheese & onion crisps would have been PERFECTLY acceptable.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »

Hahaha my thoughts!!!!

Sponsored Links