Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can you get insurance with your American license if you have a UK license?  (Read 869 times)

• Liked: 10
Hi

I just passed my UK practical test and looking at insurance comparison websites it is cheaper to get insurance using my American license that I've had for 9 years.

I have lived here for about 6 months.

Would I be able to get insurance with my American license and then in 6 months switch over to my UK license when I'm no longer permitted to drive on it?

Not sure if that's possible or allowed. Mainly just curious.

• Liked: 957
How is it cheaper on your US license?! That's really surprising. You can contact the insurers to see if you can transfer the no claims bonus from the US and that might help. My fees went down significantly when I got my UK license and continue going down as I gain credit and residency history. We went with Admiral after I switched to my UK license and were on Aviva at first as they were the only ones who would insure me based on foreign license and short residency.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

How is it cheaper on your US license?! That's really surprising. You can contact the insurers to see if you can transfer the no claims bonus from the US and that might help. My fees went down significantly when I got my UK license and continue going down as I gain credit and residency history. We went with Admiral after I switched to my UK license and were on Aviva at first as they were the only ones who would insure me based on foreign license and short residency.

I'm not sure how it's cheaper. I was surprised as well. I'll look into contacting them. Thanks for the tips!

Oh, I'm not sure if you're working yet, but if you aren't make sure not to choose unemployed for the employment status. I was supported by my husband at the time so we used his income and labeled me a "homemaker" or similar. He doesn't drive (getting lessons right now).

• Liked: 63
Were you by chance saying you had 9 years no-claims? That's the only thing I can think of that would have returned a lower price.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Oh, I'm not sure if you're working yet, but if you aren't make sure not to choose unemployed for the employment status. I was supported by my husband at the time so we used his income and labeled me a "homemaker" or similar. He doesn't drive (getting lessons right now).

I have been putting unemployed because I thought because I'm seeking employment I am, by definition, unemployed. It does make the premium a lot higher so I'd like to change it!

Were you by chance saying you had 9 years no-claims? That's the only thing I can think of that would have returned a lower price.

No I've actually put 0 no claims bonus for both. The only thing I change is saying I have a brand new UK license to an international license for 9 years and it drops massively.

• Liked: 3589
Can you get insurance with your American license if you have a UK license?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 09:34:58 AM »
No I've actually put 0 no claims bonus for both. The only thing I change is saying I have a brand new UK license to an international license for 9 years and it drops massively.

It might be the 9 years part... that seems to be the magic number for UK licences and insurance.

I think that a lot of people here who have tried getting insurance with a US licence have found that the insurance company won’t consider any of their past US driving history, so the premium has been the same or higher than a new UK driver because both are treated as high risk - and so in order to get a better rate with a US licence, they’ve had to call around to find an insurer that will accept their US driving history to make the premium lower.

At the moment, are you just putting your details into the insurance comparison sites and seeing what quote it gives you from each insurer? Or have you actually gone into any of the individual websites to give more details and refine any of the quotes?

I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the how the comparison site interprets the answers you’re giving and that maybe when you actually try to buy the insurance from an individual company, the quote for the US licence might end up increasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:33:52 AM by ksand24 »

At the moment, are you just putting your details into the insurance comparison sites and seeing what quote it gives you from each insurer? Or have you actually gone into any of the individual websites to give more details and refine any of the quotes?

I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the how the comparison site interprets the answers you’re giving and that maybe when you actually try to buy the insurance from an individual company, the quote for the US licence might end up increasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've just mainly been putting my info in comparison sites. I have clicked through to a couple of the insurers websites and have seen the same quote but I haven't gone any further or refined it or anything. That could be it like you've said. I'll have to go a bit further and see if the quotes get adjusted when I go through the whole process. Thanks for the response.

• Liked: 6110
Whatever you do, make sure that the price you end up paying is correct for your situation. You don't want to take any chances when it comes to being covered. Best to speak with someone when you've narrowed down your choices.

Whatever you do, make sure that the price you end up paying is correct for your situation. You don't want to take any chances when it comes to being covered. Best to speak with someone when you've narrowed down your choices.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

• Liked: 716
I checked with my son and his experience was that, on my advice, he went with Aviva when he arrived in 2017 and they accepted his 10+ years no-claim record with GEICO from the USA. He passed his test and got his full UK licence after about 9 months here (had to keep nagging hime to get the test taken). He informed Aviva of his UK licence and there was no change to his premiums.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

I checked with my son and his experience was that, on my advice, he went with Aviva when he arrived in 2017 and they accepted his 10+ years no-claim record with GEICO from the USA. He passed his test and got his full UK licence after about 9 months here (had to keep nagging hime to get the test taken). He informed Aviva of his UK licence and there was no change to his premiums.
I had the same happen with Aviva, so I shopped around after getting my license and found a much lower rate with Admiral. :) Always good to shop around when circumstances change!

• Liked: 716
I had the same happen with Aviva, so I shopped around after getting my license and found a much lower rate with Admiral. :) Always good to shop around when circumstances change!

I agree. No idea if he is still with Aviva, he is familiar with the comparison websites.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links