Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Resolutions or Goals this year?  (Read 2112 times)

• Liked: 4985
Resolutions or Goals this year?
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »
I'm not really a New Year's Resolution person.  But I do like to set random goals/targets for the year.

You guys know I love to moan about how much my family spends on food.  So my husband and I have decided to do a financial challenge each month in 2020.  Starting with FOOD.

According to the Office of National Statistics, the average UK family spends £60.60 a week on food and non-alcoholic beverages. The average household being 2.4 people. Taking that to 4 people, gives us a weekly budget of £101, or £444.84 for the entire month of January. This may sound like a lot but considering we typically spend £800-£1,000 a month on food (allergies aren't cheap people), this is going to be a MAJOR challenge. Here's to hoping we can save lots of money on food this month and continue it all year long!

Anyone else have something they are aiming for this year?

I also plan to actually WRITE DOWN my bucket list.   ;D

• Liked: 719
Re: Resolutions or Goals this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
I’m not normally a NY resolution type of person, but I have set one target this year, to do a Power Of Attorney.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
I’m not normally a NY resolution type of person, but I have set one target this year, to do a Power Of Attorney.

Practical and should definitely be do-able.  I like it!

Can you answer this for me - why is it SO expensive to name someone a PoA in the UK?  It's so simple and cheap in the USA.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:26 PM »
Practical and should definitely be do-able.  I like it!

Can you answer this for me - why is it SO expensive to name someone a PoA in the UK?  It's so simple and cheap in the USA.

I have no idea. I never did do a PoA in the USA, no idea how much it costs.

Looks like I’ll need 2 PoAs, one financial and one for health decisions, cost of £82 each to get them registered.

https://legalservice.which.co.uk/media/2074/england-wales-poa.pdf

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
I have no idea. I never did do a PoA in the USA, no idea how much it costs.

Looks like I’ll need 2 PoAs, one financial and one for health decisions, cost of £82 each to get them registered.

https://legalservice.which.co.uk/media/2074/england-wales-poa.pdf

Is that all?  I swear I was told £1500!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »
Is that all?  I swear I was told £1500!

That is 10 times what it cost me to do and register a will here, so I certainly hope it doesn’t cost that much. I plan on following the Which? guidelines and do it myself. According to Which? Going through a lawyer can cost as much as £500.

Some people prefer to get their Power of Attorney prepared by a solicitor. This can prevent mistakes which sometimes cause an application to be rejected, but the cost of applying through a solicitor is considerably higher - some charge as much as £500, plus the £82 OPG fee.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/wills-and-probate/power-of-attorney/setting-up-power-of-attorney-awjxy7l1h5ru - Which?”

• Liked: 958
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »
We are setting some savings goals, and to actually travel to Europe at least once. Starting the new job and visa renewal will kinda kick my butt into summer (using husbands income again thankfully), but I *will* have my wheelchair by then so I can zoom around and spend more time outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:06:17 AM »
In the new year, I want to start eating healthier...written as I sit here with an Egg McMuffin.  ::)

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
In the new year, I want to start eating healthier...written as I sit here with an Egg McMuffin.  ::)

May I ask how the weight loss is going?  How far have you come?

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:15:48 AM »
May I ask how the weight loss is going?  How far have you come?

It's going really well... I seem to lose weight no matter how crap I am eating, or how much beer I am swilling.
I've lost 10 stone 9 pounds so far.  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
It's going really well... I seem to lose weight no matter how crap I am eating, or how much beer I am swilling.

Holy Moly!  That is absolutely unbelievable!!!!!  I hope you are very very proud of yourself!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »

Wow, and I really mean WOW!!

Great work.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »

Well done!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »
Holy Moly!  That is absolutely unbelievable!!!!!  I hope you are very very proud of yourself!

I can't say I'm particularly proud, as it's all happened without any effort from me.... but YAY the surgery has worked, and was money well spent to fix all the damage i'd done to myself, and im very happy to have my life back!!

But i do need to start eating better, as im sure im not getting the nutrients I need.  I was told i needed 60g protein a day, for example, but i probably dont  get even half of that.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 111
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
Albatross—that is incredible and I’m truly happy for you!

I’ve had quite possibly the worst year of my life last year, 2019, and that was quite a feat considering it trumps 2011 when my father died.
I’ve spent the past year having temporary custody of my three young grandchildren because my son and the kids’ mother are totally immature POS’s so CPS placed them in my care. They’re a seven-year-old girl and three-year-old twins. They’ll be here until at least May 2020.

I’ve come to the realization that apart from my husband and young adult children and the CPS, I have hardly had contact with other adults or left my house in nearly a year. I stopped doing hobbies, going to the gym, going out to museums or having lunch alone, never mind with friends or my husband. My resolution is to go out once a week and find my sense of self again.

I’m off to join a meetup.com group that’s as least child-centric place and people I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links