Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mainer in Scotland  (Read 2201 times)

• Liked: 2
Mainer in Scotland
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just introducing myself. A Scottish friend (with an American wife) recommended the forum, and here I am!

I'm from Maine, have lived in the the midatlantic the past six years (Philly, Camden, and NJ) until I moved to Edinburgh in August!

I'm here working for a church. I am thinking about going to seminary, but wanted some training here first, so I am apprenticing with a church in Dundee, which started this week! (Four months late because of Scottish gov issues)

I also have a lovely Scottish gal pal whom I met in the states. She lives in Edinburgh. I think I will be visiting the visa board shortly ;).

Anyway, that's me. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and contributing. my first four months were...rough! But I think I am on the other side of that now, and I am already better for the experience!

Cheers!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Mainer in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
Welcome and good luck with your new position.  :)

• Liked: 60
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »
Hi, welcome aboard! Here's to a happy future with your gal pal  ;D

• Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:50:44 PM »
Hiya and welcome to the forum...
Fellow New Englander
Masshole here.. lol.. born n brought up in Mass, came to Scotland in 1999 on a work permit and worked my way up the immigration ladder.. Dual citizen these days..

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »
Hiya and welcome to the forum...
Fellow New Englander
Masshole here.. lol.. born n brought up in Mass, came to Scotland in 1999 on a work permit and worked my way up the immigration ladder.. Dual citizen these days..

Aw man, I was trying to get away from you Massholes... ;) Just kidding. Not sure if you're a Patriots fan, but sad to see them on the decline. Looks like the dynasty is ending...

Thanks for the welcome all :)

• Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »
Aye Definite Pats fan.. Definitely not doing so well these days.. sigggh..

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »
Ahh exciting to see another Mainer! I haven't posted much on these forums yet, mostly lurking. Couldn't resist saying hi to a fellow Mainer though. :)  Which part of Maine are you from?

• Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Ah there's three of us, at least!

I'm not the OP, but I'm from the western mountains -- you?

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:38 PM »
Ooh, nice! I'm from the southern tip, south of Portland. Married an Londoner, we sent the visa application off last week, and now just waiting on visa centers to reopen and process it so I can finally get moved over there with him.

Which part of UK do you live now? How do you like it compared to Maine?

• Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »
Good luck with your application and the move!

I've lived in Northern Ireland and now am in Scotland, moving to London with my fiancé (hopefully my husband by then, if COVID allows!) later this summer.

The more rural parts of the UK remind me a lot of hoME -- it's actually geologically the same mountain range, just shaved here, so that isn't really surprising. Obviously city life is very different, but I even feel like Portland is very different from where I grew up so I'm not sure how much of it is not being a City Person at heart versus how much of it is a different country.

Ultimately it's really apples and oranges; I've lived basically my entire adult life in the UK so it's hard to compare what it would be like to still be stateside!

Have you spent much time in the UK? What does your spouse think of Maine? My fiancé loves it, I wouldn't be shocked if we move back there in the mid-range future.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
Well, sorry for days late on the response but congratulations on both the move and (hopefully) the wedding to come this summer! COVID is really putting a damper on a lot of things lately. Hopefully it won't interfere too much with your wedding at least.

I have only been to the UK a couple times but I do really like it. As you also brought up, adjusting to living in a city will likely be my biggest hurdle. Moving from a spacious home and yard in rural Maine to a one-bedroom flat in the middle of London will be a culture shock in and of itself I imagine. As excited as I am about the new flat, I can't help but look online at bigger houses for sale in the UK countryside and swoon over them. [smiley=smitten.gif]

My husband really enjoys Maine, but is certainly more used to a busier city life where he can walk/cycle everywhere and I can't say I blame him. Our initial plan was for him to move here but we soon realized we'd actual both prefer the hustle and bustle of the city right now. We have discussed the possibilities of some day moving back though, probably when we we're more settled and no longer 'young', childless and still wanting to travel a lot. I'll certainly miss the beauty that Maine has to offer though. With the abundance of wooded trails and short drive to both mountains and beaches, I have really come to appreciate where I live during this lockdown.

What originally sent you over the UK? Did you go for school?

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
Ahh exciting to see another Mainer! I haven't posted much on these forums yet, mostly lurking. Couldn't resist saying hi to a fellow Mainer though. :)  Which part of Maine are you from?

Hi fellow Mainer (and hello cityplanner as well!).

I'm Greater Portland Lad. Family is from Western Maine, so got a good dose of both growing up. Love me some Portland vibes, but also can't stay in the city too long! Need a long hike to wander the woodlands!

Just reading your other post - will be intrigued to hear how you get on with culture. There is no "say it how it is" here - I can't get people to say what they mean, and I haven't made too much friends with that honesty. Also personality of course.

I'm in Scotland now, just a year in. Still being "culture shocked" and whatnot. When do you plan to move to London?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab