Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Freelance Work and Social Security Tax Filing Question  (Read 1018 times)

• Liked: 5
Freelance Work and Social Security Tax Filing Question
« on: January 23, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
Hi all. From what I can understand, I would be required to file a Schedule SE since I'm self employed and therefore have to calculate the Social Security tax I would owe that way. However, I am exempt because the US and UK have a totalization agreement that makes sure I'm not double taxed.

Anyway, the directions on Schedule SE say "If your self-employment income is exempt from SE tax, you should get a statement from the appropriate agency of the foreign country verifying that your self-employment income is subject to social security coverage in that country". It goes on to say I need to include that statement with my taxes instead of filling out the Schedule SE.

My question: Does anyone know who to contact about getting such a statement?

• Liked: 102
Re: Freelance Work and Social Security Tax Filing Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »
As a self-employed individual you will file Schedule C and Form 8858 with the IRS.  HMRC issue certificates of coverage, so should you want one you would ask HMRC.

• Liked: 0
Re: Freelance Work and Social Security Tax Filing Question
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »
As a self-employed individual you will file Schedule C and Form 8858 with the IRS.  HMRC issue certificates of coverage, so should you want one you would ask HMRC.

I'm looking form more information on the filing requirement for Form 8858. Would this be required for someone who working in a consulting capacity? I have not formed a company -- just doing a little bit of self-employed work on the side.

Sponsored Links