Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mystery account on Transferwise  (Read 1595 times)

• Liked: 676
Mystery account on Transferwise
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
Ok, that was weird. I logged into my Transferwise account to move a little extra money over to cover some bills. I have only got two bank accounts linked up - the one in Calif and the one here. This was done when everything was in my former name, so that's the names on the accounts.

So I started the transfer setup and then realized that the receiving account was in my new name, and showing as going to an Irish bank, and with some text about that it should be used for transferring Euros. There was a whole separate icon for that Irish bank, in my new name. With an IBAN number and everything.  I backed right out of that, cancelled everything, had a cup of coffee (it was early) and started over. This time there was no Irish bank account info in there at all. (And I was transferring $ to £.)

I have emailed Transferwise to ask what is going on. I have changed my password, although I would think that if someone had my password they'd have pilfered my USA account already.  I was doing all of this in "bank safe" mode on my Avast (chrome) browser, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to think about this.

• Liked: 957
Re: Mystery account on Transferwise
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
That is super odd. Emailing transfer wise was the right move. Did you take any screen grabs before backing out of it all? Will be changing my password just to be safe today!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
If you were mindful enough to take screenshots then that would be great to send to Transferwise, but I can understand if you didn't, I think that under the same circumstances I would have logged out immediately and changed my password like you did.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:00:52 AM »
I actually phoned them a bit later. They were able to see it all.

It says I added the account in 2018.  I did some checking, and I had tried to set up an Irish bank account in 2018, and the numbers matched. But I did not finalize the Irish account.

And as this info hasn't shown up when I've logged into Transferwise monthly since that time, I can only assume one of two things - I had originally set up something on TW (which is possible, I guess, though I don't remember doing so) and their server hiccuped and restored old data that had been deleted, or there's a hack somewhere.

Fingers are crossed.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:25:53 AM »
I actually phoned them a bit later. They were able to see it all.

It says I added the account in 2018.  I did some checking, and I had tried to set up an Irish bank account in 2018, and the numbers matched. But I did not finalize the Irish account.

And as this info hasn't shown up when I've logged into Transferwise monthly since that time, I can only assume one of two things - I had originally set up something on TW (which is possible, I guess, though I don't remember doing so) and their server hiccuped and restored old data that had been deleted, or there's a hack somewhere.

Fingers are crossed.

I think you are going to be okay, sounds like a problem with their software displaying something that you had already entered but not completed, rather than someone hacking into your account.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
Yeah. After a lot of remembering, I DO remember entering it all. But then deleting it. Daughter says she watched me delete it. So, they just did a backup of something somewhere that pulled in some older data.

I don't anticipate using it a lot more, so I'm good with it. They certainly have been great to have as a resource!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab