Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bank Recommendations  (Read 2421 times)

• Liked: 24
Bank Recommendations
« on: February 04, 2020, 04:41:36 AM »
My husband uses MetroBank and loves them for their service and convenient hours. I have only been in the UK since the end of December, but I am eager to get my name on mail. Today we went into MetroBank to see about opening a joint bank account, but they said I need 2 proofs of address. My mail from Boots and Tesco wouldn't cut it, but they said I could use my letter from the Department of Work and Pensions as a secondary source. They said I need to get a provisional driving licence or get my name on a bill, such as council tax, TV licence, phone, cable, etc. My husband has tried adding me to the council tax and transferring the TV licence to my name but isn't sure if it worked. It's very frustrating. I am wondering what banks other people use and if needing 2 proofs of address is common? Also, does the bank send you statements in the mail? Thank you in advance.
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 248
Re: Bank Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
We are with HSBC and have monthly statements in the mail.

You have to go on line with all your bills and make sure you turn on the paper statement options. 

Wherever you can try and get joint names on bills.  You can change/check your TV licence on line.

Make a list of utilities etc and just call them one by one to get joint names on them. Check on line to make sure you get paper statements.

Have you registered with a doctor and dentist?

Get yourself a folder/file of some sort and start saving everything with your names and date that is sent to your address.  You will need them for your next visa.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
Get yourself a folder/file of some sort and start saving everything with your names and date that is sent to your address.  You will need them for your next visa.

Absolutely! It really is a good idea to file everything by month. It will make it soooo much easier when it comes to sorting out what you need to send for your next visa application.

I started out by filing it but ended up just throwing it all into a cardboard box and come the time, boy did I wish I'd kept up with the filing!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
I started out by filing it but ended up just throwing it all into a cardboard box and come the time, boy did I wish I'd kept up with the filing!  ;D

I, too, started out with the best of intentions, trying to keep things at least in chronological order.  But then I just ended up with a jumbled up pile of post.  When it came time to select my 6-12 pieces, it was chaos.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
We are with HSBC and have monthly statements in the mail.

You have to go on line with all your bills and make sure you turn on the paper statement options. 

Wherever you can try and get joint names on bills.  You can change/check your TV licence on line.

Make a list of utilities etc and just call them one by one to get joint names on them. Check on line to make sure you get paper statements.

Have you registered with a doctor and dentist?

I will look into HSBC. Thank you for the advice about the bills/mail.

I turned in the paperwork yesterday to register at the clinic my husband goes to. I should hear from them in 4-5 days. I haven't registered with a dentist yet though.
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:32:38 AM »
A bit late, but Monzo allow you to open one of their accounts w/just an ID, no proof of address. Great bank, been with them since they launched. https://monzo.com/blog/new-to-the-uk-account

Sponsored Links