Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I needed my BRP to check in for a flight  (Read 1040 times)

• Liked: 31
I needed my BRP to check in for a flight
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
I think I've seen some discussion on this forum about traveling with a BRP that has a surname that doesn't match the passport.

We recently returned from our delayed honeymoon to South Africa.  When we checked in for our return flight to London, the British Airways agent asked to see my BRP.  I'm not sure what would have happened if my surname was different from my passport - I'm just glad there were no differences.

That the first time I've been asked to show my BRP and I've had several flights outside the UK.  This was the first one not to the US or the EU though.

• Liked: 4985
Re: I needed my BRP to check in for a flight
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
I think I've seen some discussion on this forum about traveling with a BRP that has a surname that doesn't match the passport.

We recently returned from our delayed honeymoon to South Africa.  When we checked in for our return flight to London, the British Airways agent asked to see my BRP.  I'm not sure what would have happened if my surname was different from my passport - I'm just glad there were no differences.

That the first time I've been asked to show my BRP and I've had several flights outside the UK.  This was the first one not to the US or the EU though.

I was *always* asked for my BRP when checking in from the USA back to the UK.  I'm surprised this was your first time being asked.  I don't recall it being checked inside the EU though.... 

I'm so glad you changed it and didn't get stuck in South Africa. :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:35:52 AM »
I was *always* asked for my BRP when checking in from the USA back to the UK.  I'm surprised this was your first time being asked.  I don't recall it being checked inside the EU though.... 

I'm so glad you changed it and didn't get stuck in South Africa. :)
Yes, I've needed mine as well because they need to see some proof of either a visa or ESTA.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 01:23:43 PM »
Yes, I've needed mine as well because they need to see some proof of either a visa or ESTA.

Interesting.  I've had 3 brief trips to the US since I got my BRP.   Once the check-in agent for my return flight to England asked if I lived in England but she didn't ask to see my BRP.   The agents for the other flights didn't ask any questions.  I always triple check to be sure I have my passport when I travel internationally.  I'll do the same for my BRP going forward. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
Interesting.  I've had 3 brief trips to the US since I got my BRP.   Once the check-in agent for my return flight to England asked if I lived in England but she didn't ask to see my BRP.   The agents for the other flights didn't ask any questions.  I always triple check to be sure I have my passport when I travel internationally.  I'll do the same for my BRP going forward.

That's interesting because they should ALWAYS check your BRP when you travel, and you should NEVER travel without your BRP.

Your BRP is your visa - it's your proof that you are legally allowed to live in the UK, and must always be carried with your passport whenever you leave the UK... if you only have your passport and not your BRP, then they can refuse to let you back in.

• Liked: 3595

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »

I was severely jet lagged when I wrote this.  Lol. I didn't mean esta.

But you have to prove you have a visa that allows you a long stay as you don't have a return ticket booked.

I couldn't even check in online for my flights. I had to show my BRP at the airline check in before being issued a boarding pass.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
I was severely jet lagged when I wrote this.  Lol. I didn't mean esta.

But you have to prove you have a visa that allows you a long stay as you don't have a return ticket booked.

I couldn't even check in online for my flights. I had to show my BRP at the airline check in before being issued a boarding pass.

I flew back Saturday and me and the kids couldn't check in online.  We had used our US passports on our flight to the USA, so they needed to see our UK passports to allow us on the flight (or a visa if we had one).

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »
I flew back to London from the US last Friday, March 13.  I moved my flight forward after the travel ban was announced.

I couldn't complete my check-in online because BA needed to see my travel documents.  When I checked in at the airport, I expected the agent to ask to see my passport and BRP, but she only asked for the passport.

I was starting to get less concerned about carrying my BRP with me during international travel after several trips when I wasn't asked for it.  To anyone who's had the same experience, please heed the advice from the experts on this thread and carry your BRP with you whenever you travel internationally.

As an aside, I'm so glad I moved my flight forward.  I felt very relieved when I reunited with my husband at Heathrow, although it was hard to say goodbye to my elderly parents who are in a high risk category for coronavirus.

Sending a virtual hug to all the forum members as we deal with this pandemic.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »
And I flew back on Delta on the 14th. I couldn't check in online and I needed to give the agent my BRP. She had to scan it.

Sponsored Links