Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Certificate of Coverage for Totalisation  (Read 772 times)

• Liked: 0
Certificate of Coverage for Totalisation
« on: March 06, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
Hi all, I have another question, sorry if this is too frequent! :)

My wife is a US citizen residing with me in the UK. She does "gig work" on websites as a freelance contractor. The work includes social media moderation as well as freelance copy-writing. For the past two years she has been paying the US self employment tax on her income using form 1040 and Schedule C.

Recently we came to know that the totalisation agreement between the USA and the UK allows her to not have to pay the self employment tax to both the US and UK authorities. However, we have come across conflicting information on how to do this.

Some sources say that a Certificate of Coverage from Inland Revenue needs to be provided to the IRS (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10199.pdf [nofollow] ), however, inquiries to the HMRC forum led to a seemingly different answer: HMRC seems to be saying that we would use a Certificate of Residence as the Certificate of Coverage, or alternatively we would have to obtain some form from the IRS that we would have to fill out and have the HMRC sign.

A second source gave me this advice:

"if your wife resides in the U.K., she would have to only pay into the U.K. system. Self-employed taxpayers must attach a photocopy of the certificate of coverage (Form UK/US1) to their U.S. individual tax return to claim the exemption."

I realise that there have been some recent changes to how the Coverage Certificate is done, including the absorption of Inland Revenue into HRMC, so I am not sure what the latest and correct advice is on this issue.

I would really appreciate some clarification, including any details we might get wrong. Thanks!

• Liked: 6
Re: Certificate of Coverage for Totalisation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
I wrote to HMRC and requested the certificate of coverage. They promptly sent it me and I sent a copy each year with my IRS return until I retired last year.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
I wrote to HMRC and requested the certificate of coverage. They promptly sent it me and I sent a copy each year with my IRS return until I retired last year.

Hi Clare, thank you for your reply. Could you give me the email address or mail address you sent your request to?

I also sent you a question in pms, so if you have time we would appreciate an answer on that. ☺️ Thank!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »

Sir, please check your pms. I would be grateful for your understanding.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
I’ll dig that out for you and let you know. It was several years ago so may now be different.

Sponsored Links