Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Exchange rate lowest since 1985  (Read 2149 times)

• Liked: 718
Exchange rate lowest since 1985
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »
Good news for some of us, bad news for others.

I just moved my US pension over today, my son just moved his tax refund over.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 37
Re: Exchange rate lowest since 1985
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
I deposited a large $ US cheque last week and bank says it’s going to take minimum 15 working days for it to clear and it’s driving me nuts every time I check rate of exchange because I have the money but it’s not in my currency account yet for me to switch it over ......argggg...right now it would get me an extra £5000 just with the drop.  Don't understand why it takes minimum 15 working days for a cheque to clear.   It’s not like someone is sitting there going ...$1, $2, $3.....it’s a bank draft .....certified and from the bank......not a personal one.....it’s just a case of them pushing a couple of buttons......arrgggg

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:41 AM »
I suddenly have a very nice extra cushion in my monthly budget, thanks to the drop in the exchange rate.  And nothing to spend it on. We were going to be traveling extensively in the UK in April and May, and a bit in Europe prior to leaving for the USA for good.

Now, not only can we not travel in the UK, we may not be able to leave for quite some time. And who knows now about getting a rental home in the USA when one has been abroad.

I like to consider this a teeeeeenincy blessing, as God only knows what cargo shipping is going to cost, when we can finally go.  ::) So we may need every penny of it.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
I deposited a large $ US cheque last week and bank says it’s going to take minimum 15 working days for it to clear and it’s driving me nuts every time I check rate of exchange because I have the money but it’s not in my currency account yet for me to switch it over ......argggg...right now it would get me an extra £5000 just with the drop.  Don't understand why it takes minimum 15 working days for a cheque to clear.   It’s not like someone is sitting there going ...$1, $2, $3.....it’s a bank draft .....certified and from the bank......not a personal one.....it’s just a case of them pushing a couple of buttons......arrgggg

I know how you feel, that is just crazy.  When we finished our move to the UK in January 2017 then the last thing we sold was our car, and I deposited a check of over $10k in our US bank before we left and it took weeks to clear.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
When I looked on the XE website a bit ago it had the pound at $1.13.

Sponsored Links