Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stimulus check sent to wrong address  (Read 660 times)

• Liked: 253
Stimulus check sent to wrong address
« on: May 28, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
Hi all,

Hope you're doing well. Having a bit of a freak out at the moment. I've been checking the IRS Get My Check tool religiously everyday for the past month, and today it finally updated – showing it sent the check to my previous address (the one on my 2018 tax return). I was told by my accountant, since we filed in February that the check would go to my current address, which is on my 2019 return. However, that's obviously not the case. I'm freaking out at the moment because the tool now says the check was mailed 1 May so could have arrived at the old address any time now, and I'm scared the current tenants have binned it.

I've messaged my letting agency who are in contact with the old landlord to see if there's anyway to getting the check forwarded to me (if the tenants haven't binned it). But I was just wondering if anyone on here had any advice because I'm freaking out at the moment as I really was depending on that check to get me through the next month.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 4985
Re: Stimulus check sent to wrong address
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
Honestly?  I'd knock on the door of your old residence.

When I rented, the previous tenant came by because she "accidentally" used that address for her road tax for her car.  I say accidentally because she purposefully never changed her address and got tickets like it was HER JOB.  Anyways, I happily held onto the road tax disc for her and text her when it arrived and she collected it.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure there is a way to get the check reissued.  I'd wait to investigate that until you try the old residence.

Good luck!  It'll work out.

• Liked: 253
Re: Stimulus check sent to wrong address
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
Honestly?  I'd knock on the door of your old residence.

When I rented, the previous tenant came by because she "accidentally" used that address for her road tax for her car.  I say accidentally because she purposefully never changed her address and got tickets like it was HER JOB.  Anyways, I happily held onto the road tax disc for her and text her when it arrived and she collected it.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure there is a way to get the check reissued.  I'd wait to investigate that until you try the old residence.

Good luck!  It'll work out.

Yeah, we'd considered that, but on reflection, I decided I didn't want to go over there with this energy. And also with lockdown etc, I don't want to roll up if I'm not sure the person there isn't vulnerable or having to self-isolate.

We're sending them a postcard to explain the situation, but still stressful. Accountant said there isn't, currently, any way to get the check reissued once it's been mailed. But possibly once all the checks have been sent, there might be a way to reclaim because (obviously) I can't be the only one who's in this situation lol

So now it's just a waiting game
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

Sponsored Links