Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Summer Holiday Travel  (Read 583 times)

• Liked: 0
Summer Holiday Travel
« on: June 20, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
Hello All,
Thought I would throw this question out and see what advice you might have :)

My wife and I booked a holiday back in April for the beginning of August (we hoped that the virus would have quieted down by now) to go to Mexico. We were able to book direct flights to Cancun from LGW roundtrip. My family from the US were going to meet us there for a family holiday.

About a week ago now, I was notified by BA that our flight was cancelled, but only the outbound flight. I called to inquire about the cancellation and was informed that I could either rebook, obtain a voucher, or receive a full refund. I did some snooping around and found other flights to get to Mexico, but they all went through the US. When I asked BA if this was possible to book these flights instead, they told me it was fine.

This is where it gets tricky. My wife asked if she needed her ESTA to go to the US even if it was just for a layover. we looked it up and found out it was still required. However, the US still has the Presidential Proclamation in effect banning UK nationals from traveling to the US. I am wondering if, because she is my wife, would she qualify for the US citizens and immediate relatives exemption from the proclamation. So she can get her ESTA and we can freely go to the US to catch our connecting flight to Mexico? Or would CBP frown upon this and send us back to the UK?

I find this tricky because the current situation is rather mixed. More travel is being permitted and people are getting encouragement to take summer holiday. If possible my wife and I would like to go to Mexico to see my family, but if not well cancel our plans. Thanks for the advice!

• Liked: 163
Re: Summer Holiday Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:12:32 PM »
Based on a recent question about a UK spouse traveling to the US, I think your wife is exempt from the US travel ban. (I'm not an immigration lawyer, though, so this is just my amateur advice.)

The other thread is here:

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=98142.0

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab