Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel restrictions have me worried  (Read 6387 times)

• Liked: 16
Re: Travel restrictions have me worried
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »

My mom was supposed to come in May and that was all cancelled and we probably won't see her until we (hopefully) go back at Christmas (IF our flights aren't cancelled and the US doesn't still have a ban on being allowed to enter the country as i won't go without my husband). My parents haven't seen our new home (our forever home) yet and they are getting up there in age (my dad is 70 in October). And we are feeling the exact way as KF said...we will see each other again when it's safe to do so. My mom wanted to risk flying here and i told her under no circumstances was she to do that as i could not live with myself if anything happened to them or they brought it here to others (as Margo said). It's obviously not ideal and everybody is feeling it, but we'll get to the other side and be reunited again. Just wait and see what happens towards the end of the year. If you've not got any flights to worry about, i would just wait it out and see what happens without getting too worried just yet. We all have loved ones we want to see and places we want to go and we just have to be patient unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It sounds like our mothers are similar -- mine was trying to figure out if she could still come for my wedding in three weeks (it was supposed to be next weekend, but was cancelled and now we're going ahead the minute its possible with basically no-one there just because of visas, which isn't terribly romantic but it is what it is) and it was so hard to put my foot down and tell her not to even try, but she ultimately came around to the fact that it was an awful idea.

Getting married without my mom (or my grandparents, who I'm incredibly close to) is going to be the bittersweet at best, but I absolutely agree with everyone else on this thread that I'd rather have them not there but get more time with them when its safe than have this hurt them or anyone else in any way.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
It sounds like our mothers are similar -- mine was trying to figure out if she could still come for my wedding in three weeks (it was supposed to be next weekend, but was cancelled and now we're going ahead the minute its possible with basically no-one there just because of visas, which isn't terribly romantic but it is what it is) and it was so hard to put my foot down and tell her not to even try, but she ultimately came around to the fact that it was an awful idea.

Getting married without my mom (or my grandparents, who I'm incredibly close to) is going to be the bittersweet at best, but I absolutely agree with everyone else on this thread that I'd rather have them not there but get more time with them when its safe than have this hurt them or anyone else in any way.
That is crappy, i'm sorry :( just try to think of it as just the legal paperwork part and you can share that in a more intimate and romantic way (i think there definitely can be a romantic element to just the 2 of you, even if it is hard because you want youe loved ones there) and save the party and fanfare for when it's safe so you won't end up with a potentially guilty conscious.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »
I think it's reasonable to be worried about when we can see our only remaining family again, especially now that there are actually international laws in place preventing it. It's not like they live the next town over and we can have a socially distanced visit in the back garden, but we miss them just as much as people who can do that. I know I'm not alone feeling this way either. I'm just devastated, and don't need any shaming for feeling that way.

No hard feelings otherwise.
This.
First of all -- hi everyone. I feel I haven't properly been back on this board since I finally got my Spousal Visa last year, thanks to all the cool heads and advice here!
I'm so glad I found this thread. I lost my Father to cancer right before I moved here and my Mother is pretty much all alone. I haven't seen her since last Thanksgiving. I KNOW the risks. My husband works for the NHS.  I'm from NY and I personally know four people there who had the virus -- two died (both under 50, by the way.)
But it still doesn't change the fact that it still hurts. From what I understand (as of today 28/6) as a UK spouse, travel is permitted, but you
1. immediately have to quarantine for 14 days at point of destination
 2. Immediately have to quarantine for 14 days back in the UK.
And of course, social distancing whilst I'm there. And my Mom lives nowhere near JFK -- so I would have to figure out a car service/limo/ride to the house.
I keep telling myself it's not worth the risk, I know. But I also have the fear that something could happen in the meantime and I'll miss this window and definately won't see her for Thanks/Xmas.
Also, flight prices are going up.
Thanks for letting me vent.
 :\\\'(

• Liked: 70
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »
It's an uncertain time for us all.

I was terribly lucky (?).  My mother turned 70 in Jan and as it wasn't my Christmas, my husband and I went to visit the US and take a little road trip from PA down to GA in mid-Jan to early-Feb.  Because my grandmother died we actually saw a ton of my family who I hadn't seen for a decade at the funeral.  My mum's birthday was put on the back-burner, but we did go out for it a week late.  My grandmother just happened to die at a good time for me to see family and a bad time to celebrate what I'd actually gone to the US to celebrate.

My parents, in their 70s, were due to visit here in September, but general poor health - diabetic father who had a bypass surgery in May 2019 - has meant that their plans are cancelled.  Such is life!  It's my Christmas and I'm not holding out hope for it.  I told my parents this last week and yesterday husband and I started discussing our plans, which don't involve visiting the US this winter.

Yes, I'd like to see them.  They'll be alone (my sister is a bit of a nomad...and bit is understatement) and dammit, it's MY family's Christmas.  But sh*t happens and this year has been particularly sh*t.  They are safe and well and isolating from my sister when she comes back from wherever she's been.  That's what important in all this is that everyone is keeping well.  I understand that there may not be a next year, my father is in poor condition, but it is what it is.  Isolating for 2 weeks either side just to see them isn't realistic.  Potentially exposing myself and family by taking unnecessary trips could be quite dangerous.  Phones and internet are fantastic inventions :)  I'm guessing we're all addicted to them at this point.

OP, you are not alone.  We're all missing family and friends and loved ones.  But we also lucky.  We have the ability to contact those people easily - seeing and hearing them - while keeping everyone safe.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »
morecoffee, it weighs heavy on my mind too.

My Mom turns 70 today. I was supposed to be heading there in a few weeks for a mega birthday party.  All cancelled, of course. My Mom was quite sad and depressed this morning and I couldn't do anything about it except chat on the phone.   
She's high risk as she's got mega COPD, and my Dad turns 70 in a few months, so not in a great bracket of male, overweight, and over 70.  My worries stem from my parents, or my sister with mega autoimmune issues getting this and I'm not able to be there and say goodbye or attend the funeral.

My feelings on this are always -
First. I have extreme privilege. I'm white and cisgender.  I'm still working from home with a good job.  My husband currently is, after being on furlough. I don't have kids to homeschool. I enjoy introverted hobbies. I can afford my nice house, with good internet, and live in the beautiful Scottish countryside where Covid isn't really hanging around. I know I am privileged. I'm trying my best to help out other organisations, food banks and things as best I can. I can't do too much as I have autoimmune issues, but I can do a little bit here and there.
Second,, yes, of course, it's totally utter shite that so many are losing lives with totally heartbreaking funerals with few people (if held at all) and those who have it are living with complications and still dealing with problems because of it.   And that people are still in pain from ops that should have happened. That people are having trouble with money and employment, losing businesses, tanking economy. That kids are missing out on learning opportunities and summer camp. That refugees, famine, hunger, etc are going to be worse after all of this.  That the mental health of the world's population is suffering.  And of course, I'm not being arrested and stamped on because of the colour of my skin or my sexual orientation. And yes, we can think of all this and be sad. 
Third, but we are also human and we are allowed to be sad about missing stuff, whether it's not moving house, not seeing family, and missing holiday.  Of course technology is amazing and we can  be on screens chatting and talking and being 'part of it all' from 5,000 miles away. But it doesn't replace human connection. It just doesn't. (And it does impact our mental health)  We can of course, buck it up, because it's not hard.  So we wait. But we are allowed to be sad. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:16:37 PM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »
I hope we all get to see our families overseas as soon as possible. It's tough in general living far apart, but these circumstances make it all the harder.

My in-laws what to take a trip to visit my brother-in-law in France on a 'travel bridge'. I am a UK spouse visa and haven't travelled outside the UK since December, but the EU is blocking Americans. I know there are some exceptions. However, I'm not sure if I would fall under an exception? Any ideas? 

I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this years Christmas plans. It's been 4 years since I've gotten an American Christmas, so here's hoping!

• Liked: 344
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
Scotland has a very low Covid rate at present. It's still on more of a lockdown than England is.

Scotland has had a very high covid 19 rate per million people, which when you consider how rural Scotland is compared to how overcrowded England is, it's not good

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-coronavirus-death-rate-third-worst-world-2880962

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scotlands-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-among-the-world-s-worst-8ffn2wmsb

https://upcomingworldnews.com/europe/not-a-chance-backlash-over-bizarre-clap-for-sturgeon-campaign/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:45:21 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 680
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »
There were, thankfully, no deaths from Covid in Scotland for days, until the 3 reported today. And only 10 new cases today. The "R" factor looks to be around 0.75 (0.6 - 0.8) based on the most recent data I've seen. Considering at one point the estimates I saw were between 6.0 and 8.0, that's a hell of an improvement.  Overcrowding and poverty don't help. There are tremendous amounts of both here. And a higher proportion of aging persons than in other areas of the island. And of those with pre-existing conditions as well, apparently. So, you get old, poor people; young poor people; both complicating factors on their own. Put them in crowded tenements or out in rural areas with marginal medical care and pre-existings,  it's not so good.

Comparatively speaking, it's still safer here than in London or other parts farther south. And definitely a ~way~ safer and lower infection rate than the States. Although if people don't start wearing a freaking mask and stop having raves in the park or clustering around in groups, that will all go to hell.  >:(   What the hell is it people do not understand about how this all works????

And then there's that new influenza they've just come across in pigs in China....

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:47:39 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »
I hope we all get to see our families overseas as soon as possible. It's tough in general living far apart, but these circumstances make it all the harder.

My in-laws what to take a trip to visit my brother-in-law in France on a 'travel bridge'. I am a UK spouse visa and haven't travelled outside the UK since December, but the EU is blocking Americans. I know there are some exceptions. However, I'm not sure if I would fall under an exception? Any ideas? 

I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this years Christmas plans. It's been 4 years since I've gotten an American Christmas, so here's hoping!

I think it's American residents that will be blocked. If you're a UK resident/spouse of who has not been to the USA recently, I would assume you'll be allowed anywhere a UK citizen can go - as long as you travel with them. As long as the individual country therein hasn't blocked their border. I think.

See the EU announcement:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/06/30/council-agrees-to-start-lifting-travel-restrictions-for-residents-of-some-third-countries/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:38:06 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:36 PM »
morecoffee, it weighs heavy on my mind too.

My Mom turns 70 today. I was supposed to be heading there in a few weeks for a mega birthday party.  All cancelled, of course. My Mom was quite sad and depressed this morning and I couldn't do anything about it except chat on the phone.   
She's high risk as she's got mega COPD, and my Dad turns 70 in a few months, so not in a great bracket of male, overweight, and over 70.  My worries stem from my parents, or my sister with mega autoimmune issues getting this and I'm not able to be there and say goodbye or attend the funeral.

My feelings on this are always -
First. I have extreme privilege. I'm white and cisgender.  I'm still working from home with a good job.  My husband currently is, after being on furlough. I don't have kids to homeschool. I enjoy introverted hobbies. I can afford my nice house, with good internet, and live in the beautiful Scottish countryside where Covid isn't really hanging around. I know I am privileged. I'm trying my best to help out other organisations, food banks and things as best I can. I can't do too much as I have autoimmune issues, but I can do a little bit here and there.
Second,, yes, of course, it's totally utter shite that so many are losing lives with totally heartbreaking funerals with few people (if held at all) and those who have it are living with complications and still dealing with problems because of it.   And that people are still in pain from ops that should have happened. That people are having trouble with money and employment, losing businesses, tanking economy. That kids are missing out on learning opportunities and summer camp. That refugees, famine, hunger, etc are going to be worse after all of this.  That the mental health of the world's population is suffering.  And of course, I'm not being arrested and stamped on because of the colour of my skin or my sexual orientation. And yes, we can think of all this and be sad. 
Third, but we are also human and we are allowed to be sad about missing stuff, whether it's not moving house, not seeing family, and missing holiday.  Of course technology is amazing and we can  be on screens chatting and talking and being 'part of it all' from 5,000 miles away. But it doesn't replace human connection. It just doesn't. (And it does impact our mental health)  We can of course, buck it up, because it's not hard.  So we wait. But we are allowed to be sad. 

So perfectly written.  We are allowed to be sad.  And hey, I get to be 39 for two years.  That’s a plus!  ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
I think it's American residents that will be blocked. If you're a UK resident/spouse of who has not been to the USA recently, I would assume you'll be allowed anywhere a UK citizen can go - as long as you travel with them. As long as the individual country therein hasn't blocked their border. I think.

See the EU announcement:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/06/30/council-agrees-to-start-lifting-travel-restrictions-for-residents-of-some-third-countries/

Trying to understand this - as a resident (Aka visa holder?) in the UK, could theoretically travel to open EU countries like Spain, etc?

Not really a good idea at this point, but trying to wrap my head around what the case is for an American Passport living in the UK!

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 02:15:00 PM »

Trying to understand this - as a resident (Aka visa holder?) in the UK, could theoretically travel to open EU countries like Spain, etc?

Not really a good idea at this point, but trying to wrap my head around what the case is for an American Passport living in the UK!

The notice that came out was advisory to the EU countries. Each has it's own borders as well. Ireland, for example, isn't prohibiting USA, but everyone who arrives gets to quarantine for 14 days....

• Liked: 722
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »

It is not the passport that is the problem it is the country of origin the traveler is coming from. The USA is averaging 44,000 new Covid cases every day, and that is only cases confirmed with a test, the actual level of infection is going to be much higher.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 12:47:48 PM »
It is not the passport that is the problem it is the country of origin the traveler is coming from. The USA is averaging 44,000 new Covid cases every day, and that is only cases confirmed with a test, the actual level of infection is going to be much higher.

Right...

So my country of origin being Scotland, Im free to visit EU whenever things get cleared up and allow that...

Because doesn't sound like America will be open for a veeeeery long time...

Sounds like if I were to travel, would need to bring proof of address or something alongside my shiny visa!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
Right...

So my country of origin being Scotland, Im free to visit EU whenever things get cleared up and allow that...

Because doesn't sound like America will be open for a veeeeery long time...

Sounds like if I were to travel, would need to bring proof of address or something alongside my shiny visa!
I imagine your BRP/Passport alone that you'd normally carry anyways would cover it :)

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab