Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: settlement visa  (Read 1336 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
settlement visa
« on: June 10, 2003, 12:54:26 AM »
My husband is a British Citizen and I'm a USC.  He is in London now and I'm hoping to be there by the end of July.  I was hoping somebody could help me with some questions and tell me if this is the quickest way for me to get over there with him.  I know I have to file the 2 forms.  I'm planning to do that at the consolate in LA.  Do they interview us?  How do they do that if I'm here and he's there?  Do I have to apply for a NI number or will I be issued one when I fill out these forms?  Can I apply for jobs now or should I just wait until I get there?  I was told that it only takes 2-4 weeks for the Visa to be processed, it this true??  Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks  

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
Re: settlement visa
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 03:26:59 AM »
Woah.  That's a lot of questions.

1)  Yes, you need to fill out IM2A and IM2B  (ahead of time... you need to take a bunch of supporting documents  e.g. bank statements, etc) and they can be downloaded at: http://www.britainusa.com/visas/guidance/Settlement_Spouse.asp (That site also has information about them.)

2)  I wasn't interviewed.  We just handed in the forms and a few hours later we picked up my visa.

3)  You will get your NI number when you get your first job over here.

4)  You can try to apply for jobs now, but don't be surprised if you don't have much luck.  You'll probably have more success once you get here and you can interview and whatnot.  (Don't let that deter you, you've got nothing to lose by applying...)

5)  If you apply for your visa in person (assuming everything is in order) you should have it by the end of the day.  (Don't apply for it more than 3 months in advance... but that won't pertain to you.)

I think that answers all your questions.

Good luck!

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 10:53:46 AM »
Hi Mleighb,

Lisa answered most of your questions for you but I just wanted to add that you do get assigned a temporary tax or NI number when you start working, but you do have to go and apply for a permanent number.  If you don't do this in a reasonable time after being employed (I believe it is about a year they give you) your employer actually gets fined.

Applying for an NI number was an absolute headache for me, but some people have had easy-peasy experiences with it.  I found that the NI process was much more stressful and scrutinizing than the visa process, actually.  But like I said, some people have had no trouble at all!

Best of luck at the consulate, and don't worry about your fiance being in London.  They're used to that sort of thing and if they need to talk to him or need him to get any other info, they'll call him.  And yes, going to the consulate is the quickest way to get your visa as most people get it the same day they apply if they go in person.  (I did my visa by post and it only took a couple of weeks though, which was pretty good I thought.)

We'll be sending happy, calm thoughts your way!

Rebecca

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 09:05:58 PM »
Thank you both for all the information.  It was extremely helpful.  I can't wait to be together with my husband again ;D

• finally home
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 02:50:40 AM »
I went thru this process in jan., i can tell you that you "may" be required to go in for a interview (they state it says that means its possible ) anyway so be prepared for that.
also have everything and ore ready for them, i went thru alot of unneeded hassle with them and rediculous demands.
Bank records, letters, employer letter (your fiance in uk),personal letters,emails,pictures of you together (proves you have met), wedding date and details, date of departure (plane ticket or date you expect to leave atleast)
Phone records for your calls to each other
letters of support
both your passports and birth certificates also.
oh and 2 passport pics

in the interview be prepared to answer questions about how you met, your intentions and how often you speak etc...
seems they have a set form of standard questions than some they choose to ask from your answers

Hope you get someone who wont give you hassle, seems some have no trouble at all, while me and others get the ones who dont know what they're doing and cause problems.
word of advice any problems you have ask for the deputy consulate.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 02:53:06 AM by 9iron »

collington
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 03:31:25 AM »
Just curious, why should you not apply more than 3 months in advance?

-Alzgirl

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 10:53:25 AM »
Simply because they won't let you.  :)

They are kind of funny about things like that and for some reason, have decided that is too long before the big day.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 07:37:03 PM »
I went thru this process in jan., i can tell you that you "may" be required to go in for a interview (they state it says that means its possible ) anyway so be prepared for that.
also have everything and ore ready for them, i went thru alot of unneeded hassle with them and rediculous demands.
Bank records, letters, employer letter (your fiance in uk),personal letters,emails,pictures of you together (proves you have met), wedding date and details, date of departure (plane ticket or date you expect to leave atleast)
Phone records for your calls to each other
letters of support
both your passports and birth certificates also.
oh and 2 passport pics

in the interview be prepared to answer questions about how you met, your intentions and how often you speak etc...
seems they have a set form of standard questions than some they choose to ask from your answers

Hope you get someone who wont give you hassle, seems some have no trouble at all, while me and others get the ones who dont know what they're doing and cause problems.
word of advice any problems you have ask for the deputy consulate.

If it makes you feel better, the process for emigrating to the US is WAAAY more hassle!

Sponsored Links