Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Experience with H&R Block  (Read 1057 times)

• Liked: 14
Experience with H&R Block
« on: July 01, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
Anyone use H&R Block Expat tax services for preparing US Income Taxes?
I've used them for 2018 & 2019 returns.
2018 service was okay, some issues that were ultimately resolved but 2019 was terrible. Errors and omissions and impossible to get timely responses to questions.
I'd be interested in others' experiences and alternatives.
Arrived in UK:   22-Feb-2018
Nationality:  US Citizen; wife is UK Citizen
FLR(M)Online application:  25-Jul-2020 anticipated

• Liked: 7
Re: Experience with H&R Block
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »
I've spent a long time searching for a good, affordable service. Let me know if you find one.  :)

I tried going with a UK adviser, and spoke to about 6 firms but I had bad experiences with them all - either non-responsive, or gave me bad advice, and in one case even led me on as a client before dropping contact bizarrely. They were all UK Chartered Accountants w/ US tax experience, but no actual CPA/EA in the company - they all outsource the actual filing of your taxes to a US based firm.

Eventually I gave up trying to find a UK based firm, and talked to Taxes For Expats and Greenback Tax - which are both US based firms employing only CPAs that market heavily to expats. Both seemed to be quite competent and gave me timely advice. I went with GB just because it was a bit cheaper at the time, and they really helped me out with a complex situation.

Unfortunately both Taxes For Expats and Greenback are quite expensive in my opinion for any non-trivial return, as they charge a fee PER form. Also unlike a traditional accountancy practice, you can't just ask them questions on the fly - they charge you per tax consultation. As someone self-employed this all adds up very quickly. So while they seem quite competent it is so expensive. I'm not sure what I can do about this, apart from finding a US tax practice who will charge more reasonable fees. But I've had no luck on this front, unfortunately.

So at this point, my recommendation would be to try either Taxes for Expats or Greenback. They seem quite competent, it's just expensive.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:21:05 PM by hhkb »

• Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »
Thanks for the info - I’ll look into both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arrived in UK:   22-Feb-2018
Nationality:  US Citizen; wife is UK Citizen
FLR(M)Online application:  25-Jul-2020 anticipated

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »
I've spent a long time searching for a good, affordable service. Let me know if you find one.  :)

I tried going with a UK adviser, and spoke to about 6 firms but I had bad experiences with them all - either non-responsive, or gave me bad advice, and in one case even led me on as a client before dropping contact bizarrely. They were all UK Chartered Accountants w/ US tax experience, but no actual CPA/EA in the company - they all outsource the actual filing of your taxes to a US based firm.

Eventually I gave up trying to find a UK based firm, and talked to Taxes For Expats and Greenback Tax - which are both US based firms employing only CPAs that market heavily to expats. Both seemed to be quite competent and gave me timely advice. I went with GB just because it was a bit cheaper at the time, and they really helped me out with a complex situation.

Unfortunately both Taxes For Expats and Greenback are quite expensive in my opinion for any non-trivial return, as they charge a fee PER form. Also unlike a traditional accountancy practice, you can't just ask them questions on the fly - they charge you per tax consultation. As someone self-employed this all adds up very quickly. So while they seem quite competent it is so expensive. I'm not sure what I can do about this, apart from finding a US tax practice who will charge more reasonable fees. But I've had no luck on this front, unfortunately.

So at this point, my recommendation would be to try either Taxes for Expats or Greenback. They seem quite competent, it's just expensive.

Excellent feedback, thanks for that.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:36:35 AM »
I use a US based accountancy firm who work with a tax attorney for any complicated questions. Return including FBar, UK pension reporting, 2 rentals, 8938 5471 etc. about US $500. I referred several people here who have been pleased with the service. Send me a PM for a referral.

I used Greenback initially to prepare a streamlined submission (which I didn't do in the end) and can confirm they are component and timely, but expensive and I prefer a year round relationship with the accountant. I don't believe Greenback have actual CPAs on staff - they outsource it so I suppose your experience depends on who you get. I was pleased with mine. Also I want to use people who will interpret the treaty etc. in the most advantageous way.

A

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 12:21:51 PM »
I don't know how complicated your taxes are, but I've used TurboTax for Home & Business (the one for self-employed) for years and paid for with the audit protection.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »
Hi guys,
I am a CPA based in NY and one of my specialties is preparing US tax returns for people living overseas.

Unfortunately,  H&R Block doesn't hire full-time tax experts. They don't require experience when hiring someone, so they aren't the most reliable people to prepare a tax return.

If you think I can help you out, feel free to send me a message.
CPA with many years' experience filing for foreign residents and US citizens living abroad

• Liked: 102
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
Golden Rules for choosing a great tax professional when in the UK:
1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long.
2. COST
Ask what they charge!
3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dually US/UK qualified (so you know that the tax preparer is regulated in both the US and the UK) and who you feel you can get on with. This is a personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...

Sponsored Links