Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying a New Oven  (Read 1050 times)

• Liked: 3595
Buying a New Oven
« on: July 22, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
Hi all,

I need to buy a new electric oven, as mine doesn't heat evenly and makes a really loud rattling noise when turned on, and I also need a new gas hob because the hob button indicators have rubbed off mine. Problem is, I'm having trouble deciding which one(s) to buy, and was hoping you guys might have some suggestions/advice?

I've found a Neff oven which I really like the look off - it's one of the best-rated on a number of sites, and it has a hide-and-slide door and pyrolytic self-cleaning. The problem? It's £829, and while I can afford it, I don't know if I should spend that much money on an oven, especially if there's a chance I might end up moving house in the next few years.

The new hob is less of a concern - I've also found a Neff one for just over £200, though I'm not married to that one. The previous owners of my house did leave a new hob in the shed, ready to be installed, but I kind of forgot about it until the shed was damaged last year, so it's been in there 4 years and has gone a bit rusty... so I'm thinking I might as well just buy a nice, shiny new one.

In my online research, I've realised that I will need to pay 2 installation and recycle fees... one for the hob and one for the oven. So if I go for the Neff oven and hob mentioned above, it will cost about £1,250 in total from Curry's (except that the oven was in stock yesterday but is apparently no longer in stock today!). It is in stock on other websites (AO and John Lewis), but their installation and recycle fees are a few pounds more.

There is another Neff oven which is £699 and has a £70 cashback offer, but it's manual cleaning. Or there's one for £849 with a £100 cashback offer which does have the pyrolytic cleaning... the Neff website is 'Under Maintenance right  now though, so I can't check the terms of the cashback offer.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can make my decision, and/or have any oven recommendations/experiences you might be able to share?

As far as pros and cons, the only con I can come up with for not getting either the £829 or the £849 Neff oven (with cashback) is the price.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Buying a New Oven
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
Could you save on the recycling fee by putting the old hob in the shed until you're able to get to the dump? The oven would presumably be too big/heavy?
I made a big deal about the main oven in the cooker I have now being self cleaning but I literally only have it on two days out of the year so it's never had a chance to get dirty!
Other than that, all I have to add is; don't get a Hotpoint. Looks like not an issue for you but hoping I can save the next person!  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
Could you save on the recycling fee by putting the old hob in the shed until you're able to get to the dump? The oven would presumably be too big/heavy?

That is an option, though the recycling fee I'd save is only £15-20, so compared to the whole cost, it's not much.

I've essentially resigned myself to the fees, so my debate really is: Is it worth spending around £800 on the oven I really want, or do I only spend maybe £300 on one that does the job, but doesn't have all the features I want? (I love the idea of the slide-and-hide door, which only seems to be available from Neff).

I've spent the last 6 months building up my savings while overseas, and I've also saved probably £2,000 on holidays I didn't get to take this year, so I can afford to splash out if I want to... I just don't know if I should (the bargain-lover in me is cringing a bit).

I made a big deal about the main oven in the cooker I have now being self cleaning but I literally only have it on two days out of the year so it's never had a chance to get dirty!

Lol - I feel like self-cleaning would be really useful because I use the oven probably at least twice a week and I'm really lazy about cleaning it :P.

Other than that, all I have to add is; don't get a Hotpoint. Looks like not an issue for you but hoping I can save the next person!  :)

Yeah, I signed up for Which? today and the Hotpoint ovens didn't get very a good score on their reviews.

The oven brand that I have now (which came with the house) is a DeLonghi, which doesn't even seem to make it onto the lists at all and according to Google is pretty rubbish :P

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
I've essentially resigned myself to the fees, so my debate really is: Is it worth spending around £800 on the oven I really want, or do I only spend maybe £300 on one that does the job, but doesn't have all the features I want? (I love the idea of the slide-and-hide door, which only seems to be available from Neff).

An exercise :)....imagine that the expensive one has been discontinued. How disappointed would you be not to be able to buy it after all? If you're really upset at the thought, it's probably worth it to you to get the dearer one. If you're not that bothered at the prospect, go with the cheaper one. 

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
Update:
I asked my friends in our WhatsApp group what they thought I should do about the Neff oven, and they were like, 'Go for it' :P. So, I did... kind of.

I was going to order the £829 oven from Boots Kitchen Appliances, which had slightly cheaper installation and would give me Boots points, but then I discovered that they will only connect the appliance and will not disconnect it (I guess that's why it's cheaper), and I don't want to attempt to disconnect the electricity to the oven myself.

In the end, I decided to go for the £849 oven with £100 cashback from John Lewis, which is basically the same as the £829 one, but it's a smart oven, so it can be controlled from my phone :). I wasn't going to go for it at first, because they didn't offer an option for installation on the website, but turns out I could get that sorted over the phone (though I ended up on-hold for the best part of an hour). So, it's all paid for now, and will be delivered and installed next Tuesday.

I decided not to go for a new gas hob just yet though because I discovered there are new clearance regulations for gas hobs and it seems that the hood above my current stove may not be high enough to meet them (it measures 74cm and the new regulations are at least 75cm), so I'm going to have to look into whether I will need a new hood as well if I decide to replace the current hob.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »
Only just seeing this but I would LOVE the sliding door.  No idea why!  As it’s not like you keep the oven open but on Great British Bake-off, I’m always like “I want!”

These are what I’m longing after at the moment

https://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-joseph-editions-mixing-bowls-measuring-cups-nest-set-9-pieces-sky/p4147465

https://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-joseph-editions-nest-plus-6-utensils-multi-holder-set-sky/p4191157

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
Update:
I asked my friends in our WhatsApp group what they thought I should do about the Neff oven, and they were like, 'Go for it' :P. So, I did... kind of.

I was going to order the £829 oven from Boots Kitchen Appliances, which had slightly cheaper installation and would give me Boots points, but then I discovered that they will only connect the appliance and will not disconnect it (I guess that's why it's cheaper), and I don't want to attempt to disconnect the electricity to the oven myself.

In the end, I decided to go for the £849 oven with £100 cashback from John Lewis, which is basically the same as the £829 one, but it's a smart oven, so it can be controlled from my phone :). I wasn't going to go for it at first, because they didn't offer an option for installation on the website, but turns out I could get that sorted over the phone (though I ended up on-hold for the best part of an hour). So, it's all paid for now, and will be delivered and installed next Tuesday.

I decided not to go for a new gas hob just yet though because I discovered there are new clearance regulations for gas hobs and it seems that the hood above my current stove may not be high enough to meet them (it measures 74cm and the new regulations are at least 75cm), so I'm going to have to look into whether I will need a new hood as well if I decide to replace the current hob.

Oh, yes, it's worth buying from John Lewis as they give an extra years guarantee so you'll get 2 years. Congratulations!  :)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »
Only just seeing this but I would LOVE the sliding door.  No idea why!  As it’s not like you keep the oven open but on Great British Bake-off, I’m always like “I want!”

Same here - as soon as I saw that there was an oven brand with a sliding door, I was like, "I have to have it!" :P

I actually hadn't even noticed that the British Bake-Off ovens had sliding doors - I only realised this week when I was reading oven reviews and Bake-Off was mentioned :P.

https://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-joseph-editions-mixing-bowls-measuring-cups-nest-set-9-pieces-sky/p4147465

https://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-joseph-editions-nest-plus-6-utensils-multi-holder-set-sky/p4191157

Ooh, those are nice :).

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
Same here - as soon as I saw that there was an oven brand with a sliding door, I was like, "I have to have it!" :P

I actually hadn't even noticed that the British Bake-Off ovens had sliding doors - I only realised this week when I was reading oven reviews and Bake-Off was mentioned :P.

Ooh, those are nice :).

You will *always* notice the ovens on Bake Off now (which they've started filming by the way).

I have nesting bowls.  I have a carousel with the utencils.  I need both of those items like a hole in my head.  But I want them?

I also want a Bentley convertible.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab