Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying to USA  (Read 1850 times)

• Liked: 8
Re: Flying to USA
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, 

Just as I got all my flights up and to the payment page I suddenly remembered my Travel Insurance is invalid now due to UK Government having a warning against all but essential travel and there is no way I am going to America with no medical cover...

I did check battleface insurance who cover trips against FCO recommendation but it was expensive, when I used them for SPain a few weeks ago it was only £25 for 2 weeks!....   so unless government change the non essential travel ban I wont be spending Thanksgiving or Xmas with my wife this year!.. 

• Liked: 679
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, 

Just as I got all my flights up and to the payment page I suddenly remembered my Travel Insurance is invalid now due to UK Government having a warning against all but essential travel and there is no way I am going to America with no medical cover...

I did check battleface insurance who cover trips against FCO recommendation but it was expensive, when I used them for SPain a few weeks ago it was only £25 for 2 weeks!....   so unless government change the non essential travel ban I wont be spending Thanksgiving or Xmas with my wife this year!..

Sorry to hear that, for you.  :(

But yeah, a minor illness that you can't treat yourself can cost you your firstborn here. And I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Interestingly, the US has removed "do not travel" advisories for going overseas from the USA. The UK is still listed as "reconsider" due to Covid and high terrorism prospects. And it seems to be a mandatory quarantine origination point for travelers coming into the  USA. I had been wondering if it was that we traveled into the Shengen (sp?) zone to transfer flights, and if we had gone through Iceland would we still have been put under mandatory quarantine? But then I remembered that the UK was on the list at the CDC checkpoint at the airport when we filled out the forms. They didn't take into account that Scotland at the time we left still had a low rate, they just lumped all the countries in the UK together. (Oh, well.  Almost done, and now well-rested.)

You really are safer staying there, at present. California is not a good place to be right now, and probably will not be for a while. The heat/winds/fires should die down by late October, but everything else is just a mess right now. Hope your other half is safe and well.

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
Oh for Pete's sake!

Trump has just ordered that screening of incoming foreigners stop. No more funneling through the 13 airports. So no getting info that has people slapped into quarantine....  Annoying in that we still have four days to go.

And that it's a really bad idea to not screen people. A really bad idea.  ::)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »
Yep I agree its possibly safer staying in UK at moment just a long time to be away from wife although that may help my golf handicap with being able to get out more :-)   but on serious side my grandparents in Oregon are 97 and 101 and I really want to see them as you never know when it may be the last time :-( hopefully things will change soon for the better!....

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Yep I agree its possibly safer staying in UK at moment just a long time to be away from wife although that may help my golf handicap with being able to get out more :-)   but on serious side my grandparents in Oregon are 97 and 101 and I really want to see them as you never know when it may be the last time :-( hopefully things will change soon for the better!....

Hope you can do so soon!

Fire season usually lasts through Halloween, although "usual" doesn't seem to apply anymore. So at least that will calm down before Thanksgiving. If they'd get their collective backsides in gear and wear masks, etc., hopefully they'll get a handle on the Covid soon, before what passes there for winter kicks in. So who knows, perhaps you can still go over to visit, but won't know until the last minute?

Best wishes....

• Liked: 11
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 10:50:52 AM »
Oh for Pete's sake!

Trump has just ordered that screening of incoming foreigners stop. No more funneling through the 13 airports. So no getting info that has people slapped into quarantine....  Annoying in that we still have four days to go.

And that it's a really bad idea to not screen people. A really bad idea.  ::)

Where was the source of this pls?

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Some national TV news outlet. Several, actually.

Here's what's on the CDC website (found through a Google search):

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, the United States Government (USG) is innovating and taking a new approach to help keep international air passengers healthy. The new, more effective strategy focuses on the continuum of travel and the individual passenger, including pre-departure and post-arrival education, efforts to develop a potential testing framework with international partners, and illness response. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more effectively protects the health of the American public.

Beginning September 14, 2020, the USG will remove requirements for directing all flights carrying airline passengers arriving from, or recently had a presence in, certain countries to land at one of 15 designated airports and halt enhanced entry health screening for these passengers. Currently, enhanced entry health screening is conducted for those arriving from, or with recent presence in, China (excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau), Iran, the Schengen region of Europe, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), Ireland, and Brazil.

We now have a better understanding of COVID-19 transmission that indicates symptom-based screening has limited effectiveness because people with COVID-19 may have no symptoms or fever at the time of screening, or only mild symptoms. Transmission of the virus may occur from passengers who have no symptoms or who have not yet developed symptoms of infection. Therefore, CDC is shifting its strategy and prioritizing other public health measures to reduce the risk of travel-related disease transmission.

USG resources will instead be dedicated to more effective mitigation efforts that focus on the individual passenger, including: pre-departure, in-flight, and post-arrival health education for passengers; robust illness response at airports; voluntary collection of contact information from passengers using electronic means   as proposed by some airlines to avoid long lines, crowding and delays associated with manual data collection; potential testing to reduce the risk of travel-related transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 and movement of the virus from one location to another; country-specific risk assessments to assist passengers in making informed decisions about travel-related risk; enhancing training and education of partners in the transportation sector and at United States ports of entry to ensure recognition of illness and immediate notification to CDC; and[ post-arrival passenger recommendations for self-monitoring and precautions to protect others, with enhanced precautions, including staying home to the extent possible for 14 days for people arriving from high-risk destinations.

By refocusing our mitigation efforts on individual passenger risk throughout the air travel journey, the USG can most effectively protect the health of the American public.

No more airline funnels.
No more mandatory info collection.
No more mandatory 100% quarantine.

Note - this is federal. What states will do is their prerogative. The NY/NJ/CT area has some pretty stiff penalties for not filling in their traveler information forms and/or breaking quarantine as a traveler from abroad. You'd need to check the states to which you'd be traveling for their requirements.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:34:09 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 107
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 09:53:12 AM »
My wife & I are travelling to Newark and then driving to PA where we’ll be staying. Does this apply to us? We’ll be in NJ no longer than 2 hours
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »
Check the NJ and PA state health department websites.

In MA, for example, "in transit" passage through the state is allowed. But you can't stay overnight, and you can't do anything other than getting on with your transportation - no shopping, no going out to eat (if anything is open), etc. You can just catch your train/bus/rental car/etc. and then are allowed to use road-side rest-stops as needed until you are out of the state. Parents dropping their kids off at college are allowed to bring them in, drop them off, and then have to leave the state. My guess (but do check) is that it's the same in NJ.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab