Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Back taxes and the Stimulus.  (Read 563 times)

• Liked: 49
Back taxes and the Stimulus.
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
Hello! I am a bit confused. I have been living in the UK now for almost three years and I am preparing for my third marriage visa out of four. I do not own property in the US nor do I have any connections there other than it being the place friends and family live and of course still considered a citizen. The last time I  paid taxes was for the year of 2017 where most of the year I had income earned in the US. I have not filled out a tax form since. Am I supposed to be doing so? I also was wondering number one if it would qualify me for the stimulis that was given out and two will my social security be waiting for me when I retire and be able to still claim it? Thank you for answering as always! x

• Liked: 957
Re: Back taxes and the Stimulus.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »
Have you been earning any income in the UK? If your tax status is married filing separately (due to having a non resident alien spouse with no ties to the US), a US citizen has to file a tax return for any income over $5. For single and married filing jointly the minimum income threshold for reporting is higher. US citizens are taxed on worldwide income regardless of where you live. I can't help with how you go about correcting your filing, but you probably do need to. You should also get an annual social security statement based on your contributions.

I don't have an answer for the stimulus payment, but if you've checked online with the address you lived at in 2017 and its not there you might not qualify.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »
Great question. My main tip is to remain calm as you explore your next steps.  Using last year as an example, a US income tax return for 2019 is required to be filed with the IRS by US taxpayers if worldwide income and gains exceed just $5 (!) (married filing separately), $400 (self-employed), $12,200 (single) or $24,400 (married filing jointly) (there are exceptions for some kinds of income, such as disability). If needed, a US income tax return for 2019 for taxpayers outside the United States was due to be filed by 15 July 2020; but might easily be extended until 15 December 2020 by filing an IRS Form 4868 by 15 July 2020 - followed by writing a letter to the IRS by 15 October 2020. An FBAR for 2019 must, however, if needed be filed with the US Treasury by 15 October 2020. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
Good advice there on the tax situation.

As to the question on SS, the answer is yes, you will still be entitled to SS wherever you’re living. If you are living in the UK when ready to file for SS you can best do so by contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London, and can have SS paid directly into your UK bank account.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab