Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK License and Car Insurance  (Read 767 times)

• Liked: 6
UK License and Car Insurance
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »
So I just got my UK driver's licence (yippee!) and wanted to ask two questions:

1) Am I allowed to keep my US driver's license? I've read sometimes you have to give it up but I want to keep it if I can even though in reality I won't really use it.

2) Besides Aviva, what's an expat friendly car insurance provider? Aviva quoted me something like £77-85/month depending on the vehicle which seems high compared to the websites I looked at online. This is for comprehensive insurance. Unfortunately I can't apply a zero claims discount as I haven't had US insurance for over 5 years.

• Liked: 3596
Re: UK License and Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
So I just got my UK driver's licence (yippee!) and wanted to ask two questions:

Congratulations :).

1) Am I allowed to keep my US driver's license? I've read sometimes you have to give it up but I want to keep it if I can even though in reality I won't really use it.

Yes, you keep it. You can't legally use it in the UK anymore but you can use it in other countries.

A foreign licence only has to be given up is when there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and that foreign country that you can simply exchange your foreign licence for a UK one without taking any tests. However, there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK and US, so instead of simply exchanging your licence when you move to the UK, you have to pass all the tests to get a UK licence... which means you get to keep both licences: your US one and your UK one.

2) Besides Aviva, what's an expat friendly car insurance provider? Aviva quoted me something like £77-85/month depending on the vehicle which seems high compared to the websites I looked at online. This is for comprehensive insurance. Unfortunately I can't apply a zero claims discount as I haven't had US insurance for over 5 years.

I think the best option is to go through an insurance broker and see where you can get the best deal.

Some insurance companies may take into account your US driving history and give you a lower rate, while others may treat you as a brand new driver. And if they do treat you as a new driver with no previous experience, you may well find yourself having to pay over £1,000 a year for insurance.

• Liked: 721
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »
Aviva is often recommended here because they accept "No Claim" records from US insurance companies.  Since you have no record then as suggested above I would try an insurance broker, and even before that I would try the compare the market website. I've used it and it worked well for me for house insurance. (My car insurance is with Aviva as it took my US driving record)

https://www.comparethemarket.com/?SRC=CU11&TrackerID=43700006985961356&ds_rl=1251650&ds_rl=1251650&gclid=CjwKCAjwzIH7BRAbEiwAoDxxTn-ORK6dBKRjsXAmQaFBUDa9jz_vGPSkBua3jQiSUOI3CmtUmAoxGRoCOkkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far! Aviva did say they would count my driving experience so I wasn't listed as a 'new driver,' but they have an additional 'zero claims' discount that I could not claim. I'll definitely shop around though as it seems like whatever discount they did give me didn't really help that much. I have friends who said their insurance is a low as £20 per month and that's for two drivers. :o

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far! Aviva did say they would count my driving experience so I wasn't listed as a 'new driver,' but they have an additional 'zero claims' discount that I could not claim. I'll definitely shop around though as it seems like whatever discount they did give me didn't really help that much. I have friends who said their insurance is a low as £20 per month and that's for two drivers. :o

Fingers crossed you can get a good deal.

Unfortunately, because you have only just gained your UK licence and you don't have much UK driving experience yet, you're likely to have to pay higher rates than other people you know.

I have 19 years of UK driving experience and I'm currently paying £26/month for my car insurance (with 9+ years no claims and my parents as named drivers)... and it took me several years to get it down that low.

• Liked: 721
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:36:57 PM »
The car insurance for my wife and I is £190/year fully comp.  I guess that at age 65 I'm considered “mostly harmless”.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab