Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any advice on how/where to open a bank account?  (Read 2134 times)

• Liked: 0
Any advice on how/where to open a bank account?
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:07:00 PM »
Hi all!  I recently arrived in the UK and am trying to spend my 14 days of quarantine usefully. I'd like to get a  bank account set up ASAP so I don't have to keep using my US credit card, but I'm not sure which bank is best to go with or what account type. Seems like it's going to be a hassle since I don't have any credit here built up yet. My fiance is working on getting me added to some bills/etc so I'll have mail with my name on it but things that I've read about it say they might not even accept that as proof of residence.

Anyone have any banks/account types they recommend?

• Liked: 718
Re: Any advice on how/where to open a bank account?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:35:59 AM »
It’s tough to open a bank account these days for sure.  That is a good move by your fiancé to get you added to utility bills. Our son got an account at the same bank (HSBC) we were using when he arrived in 2017 and for proof of residence they accepted a letter from us saying that he was staying with us. I would start with the bank that your fiancé uses as they know her there and should be able to help, but really, any bank will do.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
The moneysaving expert website is a hugely useful resource when it comes to choosing the best bank account, among many other financial matters.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/bank-accounts/

At the moment though, you may be limited so you should look for a bog standard current account (the equivalent of a US checking account) with whichever bank will give you one. You can always switch or open other accounts later if you want to.
It will be easier once you have FLR as the fiancee visa is technically a visitors visa.

Get your name on the council tax too. That's universally accepted as proof of address.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:41:53 PM »
To add to Larrabee's suggestion you should probably be looking for a "Basic Checking Account" as detailed on the website he linked to.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts/

There's a tragic problem in the UK with banking exclusion. Up to 1.5 million people in the UK don't have a regular bank account, and if that's you, even doing simple things like paying bills can take a lot of effort.

Yet there is a solution called a 'basic bank account'. Basic bank accounts are products designed for those with poor credit scores. As the name suggests, these accounts offer a place for you to store your money and pay bills from, though they don't come with overdrafts, or many of the perks that standard bank accounts offer.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
Super helpful, thank you! I assumed I was going to have to get a pretty basic one - suppose I'll just have to grin & bear it that I won't be able to start building credit up right away.

Appreciate the help!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 05:36:33 PM »
Super helpful, thank you! I assumed I was going to have to get a pretty basic one - suppose I'll just have to grin & bear it that I won't be able to start building credit up right away.

Appreciate the help!

It can take a while . They have a section on credit building that's worth a read too. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/

Credit cards for bad/no credit.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards/

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 12:50:08 AM »
Depending on where you are.... RBS gave me an account with a council tax bill and my passport. (Granted, it was an Irish passport....)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 02:38:56 AM »
To get up and running quickly, I suggest first setting up with an online bank like Monzo or Revolut. It’s all virtual, and they’ll give you a card to use through apple/google pay. Then you can work on setting up a more traditional bank which takes a little longer. I use HSBC, and have expat, UK, and US accounts.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab