Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pensions?  (Read 1004 times)

• Liked: 0
Pensions?
« on: January 07, 2005, 03:04:36 PM »
Not sure where to ask this one...

At the company Christmas party last Saturday night, I was told by a woman who is Norwegian that even though she is living here in the states, for the past 15 years, she will get her state pension when she comes of age. Is the same true for a Brit living in the US? DH worked for 10 years in the UK and still has some sort of private pension set up from what he has said. Just wondering. Thanks.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Re: Pensions?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »
Yes, the pension will pay you no matter where you are. Have him call and confirm it.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »
It is possible.  My dad currently lives in the States and worked for 14 years in the UK and he gets a monthly pension from both the UK government and his old company.

bvamin

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 05:35:23 PM »
how is that taxed?  if at all?

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 08:09:02 PM »
how is that taxed?  if at all?

i'm not sure, but i think it is taxed.

bvamin

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 08:33:38 PM »
Who would you contact for the government pension? How is it paid? By check or deposit in a bank account?

One other thing...If you are a legal resident alien do you get social security? If so, does the same go for social security in the US would you still get it if you live in the UK?

And would I as an american get social security if we moved back to England.

Mind you the last are IF it is still around when I retire in 30+ years!

Thanks

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 08:49:16 PM »
The UK government office (Department of Pensions (I think that is the name)) to contact is in Newcastle.  I'm not sure of the address or telephone number, but I'm sure it can be found on the Inland Revenue web site.

My dad gets his pension by direct deposit into his US bank account.  If you are a legal resident alien and paid into a company pension or a government scheme, you will get something back regardless of where you live.  My dad was not a British citizen when he worked here, I think he was on an ILR.

As an US citizen, if you have paid into Social Security, you will get part of it back (As long as it is not bankrupt in 30 yrs time  ;)) no matter where you live.

Sponsored Links