Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I’m finally working !!!!!!  (Read 1042 times)

• Liked: 37
I’m finally working !!!!!!
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:40:06 PM »
 Yeah.....I got a job  ;D and am finally working and I love my job

It felt weird going back to work after having 10 months off but it feels good to work again and have some money coming in.  I was keeping myself busy fixing up my flat and finished most of it at the beginning of September but had to wait until the beginning of October to get my kitchen appliances in so I wasn’t in a rush to look for a job until then.

Bit of backstory.... for the last 30 years have been self employed with my own cleaning business.  When my friends and people asked me in Hawaii why I was moving to Scotland I would jokingly say I was moving here to retire and go down to a 40 hour work week...thing about being self employed is you always work more because you don’t know where your next job could come from and if you don’t work, you don’t get paid.  I lost count of the 60-80 hour weeks I pulled in the last 5 years.  And damn it....I want a job that pays me 28 days off a year !!!!!!

When I moved here I was supposed to have the Head of Housekeeping job at a 54 room local hotel.  I had a contract to start April 1.  The plan was to start me in and I would eventually take over the job of the current Head of housekeeping who at the age of 72 should of retired years ago.  Then Covid hit....the hospitality sector is in the toilet....and that plan went out the window.   They still want me but with furlough, limited contracts to current workers and my contract not starting until after the shut down there is just no way they can justify bringing me in when they can only offer 10 hours to their long term workers right now. ..... and I got bored waiting, and since there is no end in sight to Covid, I decided to look for a job.  The first hurdle was writing a CV....lol....found my last resume that I wrote in 1994 and updated it. [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif].  I haven’t had to do or use a resume since then....don’t think I even ever used that one but made it up when I moved from Quebec to B.C to help look for a job.

I was blessed and found a job easily.  Think it took 2 weeks.  I downloaded the Indeed App ( that one of my cousins showed me how to do) and started looking at jobs.  I applied for 2 I saw.  One was for a company that had a horrible reputation but I liked their 4 day on, 4 day off 12 hour day schedule and another at a large resort as a housekeeping  supervisor.  I applied for the job online at 5:45 on a Tuesday and got an email 20 minutes later that they were “keen” to talk to me and have an interview.   Emailed them back and set up a day to talk to them.  Talked to them the next day and set up to go see them on the Friday for an interview and work with the team for 2 hours to see what the job was about.  So went off on the Friday morning to do that and when I finished the 2 hour work, driving home was thinking that’s not a job I want.  Absolutely no structure, never even had an interview with a manager...just showed up, they were pretty much unwelcoming and rude....my introduction was use the hand sanitizer and stand in the entrance way.....where I had to stand for 10 minutes being ignored...Finally the manager came over, introduced herself...(she was the one who barked at me about the hand sanitizer told me where to stand) and said I’d be working with Ruby for 2 hours to see what the job was about.  So off I go with Ruby.  The job was basically I’d have 4 houses under my care and I’d prep them for the actual people who cleaned them and check them when done to make sure they were properly done and set up.  I spent 2 hours helping Ruby do things hearing “ I do it this way but other people do it their own way” for 2 hours.   Not a list of things to do, a check list or any written info given.....never even had an actual interview with a manager.....just worked for 2 hours and drove home thinking “ I don’t think so” .....so on Monday I got the call saying I didn’t get the job..... I didn’t want it but I was still shocked and  a little hurt that I didn’t get it.....  I’ve always been the person turning down work and saying no.....it was a bit of a shock being told I didn’t get the job.   The lady who called me was very nice and told me it wasn’t anything I’d done but that they had a large number of applications and went with someone else and that I was welcome to apply for other jobs with them......I thought “ I don’t think so “

So that got me thinking....hmmmm, maybe finding a job won’t be so easy....watching the news about everyone getting laid off and people having trouble finding jobs.....thought, ok, I’m just going to apply for anything....I need to work and I need money coming in.   So went back on Indeed and applied for 4 more jobs.  My cousin works for a large grocery chain and she sent me a link for a job with them... I thought, what the hell, apply for that also.  My first job was in a grocery store in 1985....started out as a cashier and within 6 months was made Head cashier of the store.  The job at this store was for filling and packing the online orders...which is what my cousin does at her job.....I thought what the hell, it will be money coming in.   OMG , the online questionnaire I had to fill in to apply for this job.....are you freakin kidding me.  They had 20 questions I had to answer.....half of them not even relevant to the job I was applying for.  I was waiting for a question like......” you have a cat and your dog runs away....how much does a goat cost “.   Is this what it takes to get a job now.... it’s a flipping joke.....and not a good one.  >:(

So the next day I got a phone call to have an interview for the one job out of the 5  I applied for that I that I actually wanted.  It was cleaning 21 hours a week at a care home for vulnerable adults with mental issues.   So we set up an interview day on the Monday at 10 a.m.   I went to it and was actually interviewed by 2 ladies for 45 minutes asking me pertinent questions about the job..... some of them were test questions also.  10 minutes into the interview they said they also had a Head of Housekeeping job at 30 hours a week also and asked if I’d be interested in that.  I said yes as long as it had proper training.  They were very nice but I had to laugh....I haven’t had to do an interview for a job since 1994.....so no idea how I was doing.....I decided just to be me for the interview....and hope my sparkling personality would shine through  ;D .....  they were really lovely people....the said they had more interviews to do and they’d let me know on Wednesday what they decided.  I left their place at 10:45.... dropped in to see my cousin for a quick visit, did some messages and went home and was making my lunch at 1:45 when they called to say I had the Head of Housekeeping job if I wanted it....I said YES......have just finished my second week and I absolutely LOVE the job.....it’s a beautiful old Victorian manor and all the people who work there are brilliant and very friendly.   So am happily employed...... and eventually looking forward to paid vacation days off..... ;)

• Liked: 287
Re: I’m finally working !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:43:13 PM »
Congratulations on the job, I bet you feel refreshed and raring to go again.

Enjoy the paid holidays.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Application Type : FLR(M)
Application Submitted online on: 19/08/2020
Postal or In-Person Application: Online
Biometrics Enrolled: 10/09/20 using IDV App
Acknowledgement Received: No
Additional Documents Requested on (if any): no
Decision Email: 18/12/2020
Decision Letter Received on: 18/12/2020
BRP Card Received on: 22/12/2020
Decision: APPROVED

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:56:11 PM »
Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 11:32:02 PM »
I loved reading this!  And I bet they are THRILLED to have found you!!  If you love it two weeks in, you will always love it!   [smiley=smitten.gif]

• Liked: 6109
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 01:33:58 AM »
Well done! Congratulations!!  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »
Great news!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
How lovely! Congratulations!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 70
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Aw, I love a good story.  Congratulations!!  It sounds like a great fit for you and I hope that you'll continue to love your work.

Sponsored Links