Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving foods  (Read 2249 times)

• Liked: 24
Thanksgiving foods
« on: November 19, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
I just realized Thanksgiving is in a week and started to panic. I haven't bought anything yet, but my husband and I may be going to ASDA later. I know they usually have a decent amount of American foods, and it looks like they have some inexpensive turkeys (although I don't know how good they are). I have never cooked a turkey myself but my mother and mother-in-law are always saying it's easy. So I think that should work out okay. It looks like I can get canned pumpkin at ASDA too, although maybe not Libby's. I have made crustless pumpkin pies before but would like to make one with crust this year since my husband has never had pumpkin pie. Does anyone here have a simple pumpkin pie recipe? Preferably one that I don't need lard for as the idea of baking with lard grosses me out. What dishes do you normally cook for Thanksgiving and where do you do your Thanksgiving shopping?
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 6110
Re: Thanksgiving foods
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »
I just realized Thanksgiving is in a week and started to panic. I haven't bought anything yet, but my husband and I may be going to ASDA later. I know they usually have a decent amount of American foods, and it looks like they have some inexpensive turkeys (although I don't know how good they are). I have never cooked a turkey myself but my mother and mother-in-law are always saying it's easy. So I think that should work out okay. It looks like I can get canned pumpkin at ASDA too, although maybe not Libby's. I have made crustless pumpkin pies before but would like to make one with crust this year since my husband has never had pumpkin pie. Does anyone here have a simple pumpkin pie recipe? Preferably one that I don't need lard for as the idea of baking with lard grosses me out. What dishes do you normally cook for Thanksgiving and where do you do your Thanksgiving shopping?

I'm not a cook at all but I do break out the oven for Thanksgiving (and Christmas) We're having a Turkey crown which is breast meat on the bone so likely to stay more moist than a joint but not the waste of a whole bird as we both only like breast meat. I've always preferred Tesco over Asda for meat but have bought turkey crowns from Asda in the past which were fine. :)

• Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
I found Libbys canned pumpkin at Tesco! It is here in Edinburgh. Hard pressed for me to find stuffing mix but it may be out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
We've used the recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook forever (with no alterations)

Here's the Pinterest page of someone who took a photo of the recipe:

It's more flavourful the next day, so one less thing to do on Thursday.

Enjoy!

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
I'm not a cook at all but I do break out the oven for Thanksgiving (and Christmas) We're having a Turkey crown which is breast meat on the bone so likely to stay more moist than a joint but not the waste of a whole bird as we both only like breast meat. I've always preferred Tesco over Asda for meat but have bought turkey crowns from Asda in the past which were fine. :)
Thank you! I ended up getting a Tesco slot and ordered a turkey crown and most of what we need from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
I found Libbys canned pumpkin at Tesco! It is here in Edinburgh. Hard pressed for me to find stuffing mix but it may be out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I still need to buy canned pumpkin. The Tesco app didn't have it, but I might try going to one of their stores since you were able to find it. Thank you for the tip. I was able to order a sage and onion stuffing mix from their app as well.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »
We've used the recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook forever (with no alterations)

Here's the Pinterest page of someone who took a photo of the recipe:

It's more flavourful the next day, so one less thing to do on Thursday.

Enjoy!
Thank you!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
I don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving, but i kind of fancy it this year...not sure why!
I dont want a turkey, necessarily, but i want all the wee side dishes.  :)

I buy canned pumpkin on Amazon.  I normally use it for making pumpkin bread/muffins, but pumpkin pie sounds so good right now!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab