Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Children Passport Expring and Visa Renewal  (Read 614 times)

• Liked: 156
Children Passport Expring and Visa Renewal
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
Not sure if this topic has been explored. My children passports will be expiring soon March and October 2021 respectively, our visas are up for renewal in July.

I have contact the US embassy and they sent me a link to gov.uk that was rather unhelpful. My question is will I be able to renew their visas without a valid passport? My son will still have time on his if we apply in July, but my daughters would have been expired.

Whats are my options in this situation?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 47
Re: Children Passport Expring and Visa Renewal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »
Why not just renew both passports now? There’s no reason you can’t do this early and then you won’t have to worry about the visa apps being affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
No, they MUST have valid passports in order for the visa to be issued.

No valid passport = automatic visa refusal.

I would try to renew both of their passports before you apply in July, though if there are restrictions due to Covid, you may need to renew your son's passport before July and then your daughter's passport before October.

See here for how to renew a child's US passport in the UK:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/child-passport-renewal-under-age-of-16/

They will need to attend in-person appointments at the US Embassy, however, standard appointments are not being offered at the moment, due to Covid, and only emergency appointments (for travel within 5 days) are available.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:12 AM »
Why not just renew both passports now? There’s no reason you can’t do this early and then you won’t have to worry about the visa apps being affected.

The only issue with this is that they must attend in-person appointments at the US Embassy, but the embassy is only allowing emergency appointments at the moment due to Covid, so I'm not sure if it will actually be possible to renew the passports now.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
No, they MUST have valid passports in order for the visa to be issued.

No valid passport = automatic visa refusal.

I would try to renew both of their passports before you apply in July, though if there are restrictions due to Covid, you may need to renew your son's passport before July and then your daughter's passport before October.

See here for how to renew a child's US passport in the UK:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/child-passport-renewal-under-age-of-16/

They will need to attend in-person appointments at the US Embassy, however, standard appointments are not being offered at the moment, due to Covid, and only emergency appointments (for travel within 5 days) are available.
These services are not working at the moment. I can only get a passport for them if we are traveling to the states which we are not. I haven been trying to see the renewal process for months now but there is no regular service for them.

The link the embassy sent me is not informative. Emergency services are only for individuals traveling within 5 days.

I dont know what to do. Sighhhh

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
Don't panic.

All you can do at the moment is keep checking the link and see if they open up the standard appointments again.

You have 6 months to sort this out, so while earlier is better, if you can't actually get a new passport now, then there's nothing you can do about that.

If necessary, you'll have to do an emergency appointment for your son just before you apply for the visas, with the reason being that you need his new passport in order to get a new visa for him.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
The only issue with this is that they must attend in-person appointments at the US Embassy, but the embassy is only allowing emergency appointments at the moment due to Covid, so I'm not sure if it will actually be possible to renew the passports now.
Totally forgot that kids have to attend in person!

OP, best of luck. I’m sure it will all work out!

April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
Don't panic.

All you can do at the moment is keep checking the link and see if they open up the standard appointments again.

You have 6 months to sort this out, so while earlier is better, if you can't actually get a new passport now, then there's nothing you can do about that.

If necessary, you'll have to do an emergency appointment for your son just before you apply for the visas, with the reason being that you need his new passport in order to get a new visa for him.
They are not offering emergency appointments unless your are traveling. This is what was received.

Thank you for your email.  

Due to national restrictions and the impact of COVID-19, the U.S. Embassy in London can only provide limited passport and citizenship services at this time.  

Under U.S. regulations, all U.S. citizens - including dual citizens - must enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S passport only. You may travel to the United States on your U.S. passport up to and including the day it expires.  

You are able to apply for a passport even after a previous passport has expired.  

Standard appointment services  

No routine in-person passport and citizenship appointments will be taking place until further notice. Please keep checking our website at http://uk.usembassy.gov/america411 for the most up-to-date information about passport and citizenship services (including CRBAs) at U.S. Embassy London. 

We cannot predict when specific services will resume. We will update our website at http://uk.usembassy.gov/america411 as soon as operations change. Please keep checking that page regularly as we cannot provide any further information by email or telephone. 

Emergency appointments  

The UK government guidance on foreign travel states: 

"Foreign nationals are subject to the ‘Stay at Home’ regulations. You should not travel abroad unless it is permitted. This means you must not go on holiday. 

If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination." 

We continue to offer emergency services for those returning home.  

However, due to the level of demand, we are unable to consider emergency appointment requests submitted earlier than five working days before the date of confirmed overseas travel. If you or your child require a limited-validity emergency passport for urgent overseas travel, please resubmit your emergency appointment request five working days before the date of confirmed travel by replying to this message at that time with the following information:   

The full name of each applicant and which passport/citizenship service they require.  

The date, time and point of departure of the confirmed overseas travel.  

Your UK telephone number.  

The applicant's current location (nearest city).  

The purpose of your travel.  

Please make sure that you are prepared for the possibility of an emergency appointment by obtaining the documents required in support of the application. Visit our website at http://uk.usembassy.gov/passports for details. Please note that you will only be able to receive an emergency passport at an appointment at this time. We will not be able to issue full-validity passports. 

Please also continue to monitor our website as when services resume, it may be possible for you to book an earlier appointment using our online appointment calendar. 

If your request relates to a UK visa/permit/indefinite leave to remain application, please visit the UK government's website at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents for information about new guidelines in light of COVID-19 and travel restrictions. Please contact the UK government directly with any further questions about your case in light of your expired or expiring passport. As advised, we can only consider emergency appointment requests related to imminent overseas travel. 

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »
They are not offering emergency appointments unless your are traveling. This is what was received.

I'm aware of what it says, I just think it may be worth attempting to get an emergency appointment in a few months' time with the reason that you need the new passport for a visa renewal.

Also, bear in mind that by June/July, the restrictions may have been eased and they may have standard appointments available again.

Not to mention, I see from your earlier posts that your BRPs are valid until 21st October 2021... which actually gives you 10 months in which to get the new passports and apply for the visas, and there's even more chance that things will be starting to get back to normal by then.

Basically:

There's no need to worry about this right now. You have several months to get the passports sorted out, and it may be the case that restrictions have eased and normal appointments are available by then.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »
I'm aware of what it says, I just think it may be worth attempting to get an emergency appointment in a few months' time with the reason that you need the new passport for a visa renewal.

Also, bear in mind that by June/July, the restrictions may have been eased and they may have standard appointments available again.

Not to mention, I see from your earlier posts that your BRPs are valid until 21st October 2021... which actually gives you 10 months in which to get the new passports and apply for the visas, and there's even more chance that things will be starting to get back to normal by then.

Basically:

There's no need to worry about this right now. You have several months to get the passports sorted out, and it may be the case that restrictions have eased and normal appointments are available by then.
I'm just a bit worried because it has been months in this same situation, I did explain to them that I need passports to renew my children visa and this was the response. So I assume to them this is not an emergency situation.

If this continues for awhile I will have to travel with my children to the US and this would not be a great option for me as I am a person that is shielding and been home since March 2020.

This is just a worrying situation for me to be honest. I'm trying not to think negatively but noone knows how the next few months will play out.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »
I had a similar issue as to yours last year. It wasn't for a child passport it was for my passport.

My passport had expired just as the first lockdown started so I could not mail in my application and my visa expired in August.

I too tired many times sending a message to them to get a emergency passport appointment setup. I got the same responses that they would only do an appointment for an emergency passport with confirmed travel plans within so many days (i think it was 3 days last year). I kept getting the same response they would not make an appointment.

It slowly krept to the expiry date of my passport and I kept sending messages. Sometimes I got no response, sometimes i got their auto response.

I eventually did get an appointment within the 3 days of my visa expiry. Even this confirmation said I needed to have confirmation of travel which I did not have.

When I went to the consulate for my appointment they did ask if I have travel plans. I was honest with the person at the consulate saying I did not have any travel plans that was visa was expiring and needed to get an emergency passport to renew my visa. The person had no issues with this and i got my emergency passport the same day.

I was nervous they wouldn't give me the passport since i had no travel but last year they had no issue with this.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
When I went to the consulate for my appointment they did ask if I have travel plans. I was honest with the person at the consulate saying I did not have any travel plans that was visa was expiring and needed to get an emergency passport to renew my visa. The person had no issues with this and i got my emergency passport the same day.

I was nervous they wouldn't give me the passport since i had no travel but last year they had no issue with this.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

This was what I was assuming - that even though they say you can only get an emergency appointment for a travel, since you are required to have a valid passport for a new visa application, it’s likely they will let you attend an emergency appointment and will issue a new passport anyway.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 06:52:46 PM »
I had a similar issue as to yours last year. It wasn't for a child passport it was for my passport.

My passport had expired just as the first lockdown started so I could not mail in my application and my visa expired in August.

I too tired many times sending a message to them to get a emergency passport appointment setup. I got the same responses that they would only do an appointment for an emergency passport with confirmed travel plans within so many days (i think it was 3 days last year). I kept getting the same response they would not make an appointment.

It slowly krept to the expiry date of my passport and I kept sending messages. Sometimes I got no response, sometimes i got their auto response.

I eventually did get an appointment within the 3 days of my visa expiry. Even this confirmation said I needed to have confirmation of travel which I did not have.

So should my next step be to try and apply for an emergency appointment. I have not yet done so. I was just sending a query to see if they would allow me to have the passports done.

Thanks for your response.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:33 PM »
So should my next step be to try and apply for an emergency appointment. I have not yet done so. I was just sending a query to see if they would allow me to have the passports done.

Thanks for your response.

I don’t think you will be allowed to do that yet, because they still have several months left on their visas, so it’s not an emergency.

In order to get an emergency appointment now, you would need to be able to show that their visas are about to expire... which they aren’t.

All you can do for now is wait and see if their open up standard appointments in the next few months.

If it gets close to when you need to apply for your visas and there haven’t been any standard appointments released yet, then you can try for an emergency appointment.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:57:42 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
When they do reopen for standard appointments, they release times for the following week on Wednesday and Friday for the following week only.  I think it’s at 2pm. The competition for the appointments is FIERCE. So try to be online and ready to go at those times. It’s stressful at the best of times. This will be sorted, just as John experienced. But it might not be on the timeline you desire. Hugs!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab