Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax implications of UK to US money transfer?  (Read 783 times)

• Liked: 2
Tax implications of UK to US money transfer?
« on: February 21, 2021, 11:27:16 AM »
I'm a dual citizen, UK resident but US domiciled. I still own a home in the US which I rent out. I pay UK tax on the remittance basis, which means I have to be a bit careful about money transfers from the US  so they aren't coming from earnings (and therefore a remittance to the UK).

Is there any issue with transfers going the OTHER way, UK to US? My understanding is that there isn't because the IRS taxes on worldwide earnings, none of this arising/remittance complication.

I think my property may have been damaged in the recent Texas freeze so depending on fees I might transfer some cash from my UK accounts for repairs while waiting for insurance to pay out (depending on transfer cost). I would guess there are no tax ramifications and nothing to report to IRS or HMRC (unless transfer of over $10K) but hoping someone can tell me if that's wrong.

Thanks

• Liked: 102
Re: Tax implications of UK to US money transfer?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »
I'm a dual citizen, UK resident but US domiciled. I still own a home in the US which I rent out. I pay UK tax on the remittance basis, which means I have to be a bit careful about money transfers from the US  so they aren't coming from earnings (and therefore a remittance to the UK).

Is there any issue with transfers going the OTHER way, UK to US? My understanding is that there isn't because the IRS taxes on worldwide earnings, none of this arising/remittance complication.

I think my property may have been damaged in the recent Texas freeze so depending on fees I might transfer some cash from my UK accounts for repairs while waiting for insurance to pay out (depending on transfer cost). I would guess there are no tax ramifications and nothing to report to IRS or HMRC (unless transfer of over $10K) but hoping someone can tell me if that's wrong.

Thanks
It is unusual for a US citizen to elect to claim the remittance basis.  What is the logic why it is beneficial in your circumstances?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:48:33 PM »
You're right, I wrote that incorrectly, sorry. I've actually been paying UK taxes on the arising basis for some time, but remittance was a concern when I first moved here (with no UK income but weird US income situation).  I didn't end up paying on remittance basis but it stumped a couple of tax advisers, so I think worrying about moving money from the US to UK stuck with me.

The question still stands: are there ever any concerns (tax or otherwise, aside from the usual caveats about reporting >$10K) about moving money in the OTHER direction, UK income to USA? My understanding is that since the US taxes on worldwide income, it should not be an issue and I'm fine to move it over.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:12:14 PM »
You're right, I wrote that incorrectly, sorry. I've actually been paying UK taxes on the arising basis for some time, but remittance was a concern when I first moved here (with no UK income but weird US income situation).  I didn't end up paying on remittance basis but it stumped a couple of tax advisers, so I think worrying about moving money from the US to UK stuck with me.

The question still stands: are there ever any concerns (tax or otherwise, aside from the usual caveats about reporting >$10K) about moving money in the OTHER direction, UK income to USA? My understanding is that since the US taxes on worldwide income, it should not be an issue and I'm fine to move it over.

There is no problem in moving money in either direction that I am aware of and done so many times including  money we have received  from UK inheritances.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab