Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Popeye's is Coming!!!!!!!!  (Read 5661 times)

• Liked: 1891
Popeye's is Coming!!!!!!!!
« on: March 23, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »

Please don't let this be as lame as Wendy's and Chick fil a:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/popeyes-fast-food-chicken-sandwich-wars-chick-fil-a-wendys-uk-launch-hospitality-sector-000148049.html

Cult US fast food chain Popeyes Chicken to launch in UK

A fast food chain behind a chicken sandwich that bewitched the United States has set its sights on the UK.

Popeyes said on Tuesday it will launch in the UK this year, with the goal of opening hundreds of restaurants in the coming years as part of a European expansion plan. The first restaurant is expected to open by the end of 2021.

Founded in New Orleans in 1972, the company is known for its Louisiana style menu that includes spicy chicken, chicken tenders, fried shrimp, and other regional items.

Popeyes created a storm in 2019 with the launch of its fried chicken sandwich, part of what became known as the "chicken sandwich wars" with rivals like Chick-fil-A and Wendy's. The new menu item caused an online frenzy and became a meme on Twitter (TWTR), prompting long queues, shortages, and even think pieces from the likes of the New Yorker.

Popeyes famous "Southern-style” chicken sandwich comes with mayo (regular or spicy), thick-cut pickles, a buttery brioche bun, and a chicken breast seasoned and spiced with Popeye's traditional buttermilk batter.

Shortages and a frenzy to get hold of the sandwich led to fights, death threats and an incident where a cashier was threatened at gunpoint.

The attention helped drive record sales and raise the stock of Popeyes' parent company Restaurant Brands International (QSR), which also owns Burger King and Tim Hortons. Popeyes will come to the UK markets as part of a deal between its owner — PLK Europe GmbH, Ring International Holdings (RIH) — and co-founder of Popeyes UK, Elias Diaz Sese.

David Shear, president international of RBI, said: “Our UK launch will build on other successful international expansions in Spain, Switzerland, China, the Philippines and most recently in Sri Lanka.

"We are confident that our UK guests will love their fried chicken from Popeyes and we look forward to offering an alternative product in a major international market that we believe is ripe for disruption."

The launch is expected to lead to major investment in talent and digital innovation and will create a new jobs, including "critical operational roles in construction, supply chain and distribution," Popeyes UK said.

“We are very pleased to launch Popeyes, a brand that has brought moments of celebration to guests globally, something we believe is important more now than ever," said Elias Diaz Sese, co-founder of Popeyes UK.

"It allows us to contribute in hardship moments for the country by creating hundreds of career opportunities. We truly aspire to become an employer of reference for big-hearted talent through care, service and supporting the neighbourhoods in which we operate."

Sold out hangs at the Popeyes on Brookline Avenue in Boston, US. Photo: Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
Sold out hangs at the Popeyes on Brookline Avenue in Boston, US. Photo: Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
The UK will be the brand’s 11th country in Europe, the Middle East and Africa region, which already has more than 350 Popeyes restaurants. Popeye's opened in Spain in 2019 and Switzerland in 2020. The company currently owns over 3,400 restaurants across 29 countries.

“We are extremely proud to bring this beloved brand to the United Kingdom," said Andreas Hacker, CEO of RIH in Scandinavia and the UK.

"We want to become the first choice for chicken in the country by serving our guests fresh and locally sourced chicken, offering the iconic tastes and joy of Popeyes through a rich in-store and digital experience."

• Liked: 387
Re: Popeye's is Coming!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
My dad raves about them and says that next time I'm visiting, he must take me to try them.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 06:36:03 PM »
I'm trying to book flights to Spain right now.  Can you imagine eating a Fried chicken Popeye's biscuit in Spain?  My head would explode from the wierdness. 

It's like going to Thailand and finding out it is full of Diary Queen and 7-11s.  More 7-11s than America! 

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:36:44 PM »
My dad raves about them and says that next time I'm visiting, he must take me to try them.
  In the US or Spain?

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 06:40:19 PM »
In the US. 

I feel like I've somehow missed all these places when I was still in the US, and only get to catch up once they hit the UK.  Never had Five Guys until they came over.  Never had Slim Chickens until they came over.  Still never had Popeye's or Chick-fil-A.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »
In the US. 

I feel like I've somehow missed all these places when I was still in the US, and only get to catch up once they hit the UK.  Never had Five Guys until they came over.  Never had Slim Chickens until they came over.  Still never had Popeye's or Chick-fil-A.
  Chick fil lay was around when we were kids.  Maybe not where you lived but certainly in the south.   At the time I didn't even like it.  I've only ever known 5 guys from here, as far as I am concerned they are British.   They certainly have British prices. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
I saw this!

Wish it would come to the Highlands , where we had that strange Chik-Fil-A location. Ahhh well.....
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
I saw this!

Wish it would come to the Highlands , where we had that strange Chik-Fil-A location. Ahhh well.....
I haven’t heard from anyone about the Chik fil A in reading.  Haven’t any of you Reading people gone to try it?

• Liked: 768
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 02:25:41 PM »
I haven’t heard from anyone about the Chik fil A in reading.  Haven’t any of you Reading people gone to try it?
It closed ages ago. There was a boycott and it didn't survive the backlog.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
I saw this!

In the Cairngorms was a very odd choice.  Inverness would have been better, I'm thinking.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
It was so strange! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 04:09:40 PM »

Massive protests when it opened so they were immediately given notice and then Covid. I never got to go!

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
  Chick fil lay was around when we were kids.  Maybe not where you lived but certainly in the south.

I can't recall ever seeing any in New England when I was younger, so either they weren't up there or were in places up there where I wasn't.

I've only ever known 5 guys from here, as far as I am concerned they are British.   They certainly have British prices. 

Yep, ain't that the truth.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing any in New England when I was younger, so either they weren't up there or were in places up there where I wasn't.

Yep, ain't that the truth.
Five Guys price point is pretty similar to US prices.

When I lived in CT, we didn't have a CFA. We had them in Florida though.

Bojangles was North of Georgia and we got Popeyes sometime in the 90s.

In the 70s and 80s, we had Maryland Fried Chicken.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
Five Guys price point is pretty similar to US prices.

When I lived in CT, we didn't have a CFA. We had them in Florida though.

Bojangles was North of Georgia and we got Popeyes sometime in the 90s.

In the 70s and 80s, we had Maryland Fried Chicken.

Actually I was just thinking that I may not know all that much about Popeye's .  My area of expertise is Bojangle's .  It's just chicken and biscuits right?  If they don't have biscuits then sh*t is gonna hit the fan. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab