Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wotcher govn'r / Hey y'all  (Read 2425 times)

• Liked: 23
Wotcher govn'r / Hey y'all
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:13:54 PM »
Originally a UK export, I moved with my job to the States over 18 years ago. Next week, I have my nationalization interview, so shortly to become dual nationality. Retired aged 49 (FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) advocate) at the end of last year, I'm planning to move back to the UK late this year / early next to spend time together with my elderly parents while we can.

So, depending on your point of view, I'll either be:
    (a) the manager of a retirement and real estate fund who's relocated to the UK to care for two aged parents, or
    (b) unemployed and living with his parents!

• Liked: 6111
Re: Wotcher govn'r / Hey y'all
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally a UK export, I moved with my job to the States over 18 years ago. Next week, I have my nationalization interview, so shortly to become dual nationality. Retired aged 49 (FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) advocate) at the end of last year, I'm planning to move back to the UK late this year / early next to spend time together with my elderly parents while we can.

So, depending on your point of view, I'll either be:
    (a) the manager of a retirement and real estate fund who's relocated to the UK to care for two aged parents, or
    (b) unemployed and living with his parents!

Welcome to the forum!  :)

• Liked: 722
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
Welcome to the site, I also FIRE’d, age 55 for me, and returned to England after many years building up our finances in the USA.

Don’t forget to convert any taxable mutual funds to HMRC Reporting ETFs before moving back otherwise you’ll miss out on the tax free allowances and lower taxes on dividends and capital gains.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:02:35 AM »
Don’t forget to convert any taxable mutual funds to HMRC Reporting ETFs before moving back otherwise you’ll miss out on the tax free allowances and lower taxes on dividends and capital gains.
Oh, the scare I got a couple of months ago when I first stumbled on a random article about (non-)HRMC reporting funds!

I thought I was on top of things, then WHAM - a tax landmine that could have cost me a pretty penny if I'd hadn't found out until after I moved back. It really put a dent my confidence that my relocation planning was as comprehensive as it needs to be.

It's not something that is mentioned in the vast majority of articles on relocating to the UK, so I hope you give this warning out loudly and often! :-)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 08:55:57 AM »

It's not something that is mentioned in the vast majority of articles on relocating to the UK, so I hope you give this warning out loudly and often! :-)

On this site we do give out this warning to folks like yourself. You only had 2 or 3 posts here when you got the advice so it didn’t take long. It is very easily missed as is the advice to do IRA to Roth conversions.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 05:21:56 AM »
@durhamlad FYI, your posts on rollovers to Roth IRAs (https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=97389.0) were a major factor in my signing up to UK Yankee!

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
@durhamlad FYI, your posts on rollovers to Roth IRAs (https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=97389.0) were a major factor in my signing up to UK Yankee!

Good to hear - thanks for the feedback.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
Welcome Dave. Love your options of A and B!

In random news we met with an IFA yesterday and we had trouble “breaking” our retirement model. The model wouldn’t allow them to input an age less than 57.  But according to their model, if we change nothing, we can retire at 57 with more monthly income than we hoped to have!  As retirement is my ultimate career goal, I was well chuffed! 

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 07:28:17 PM »
As retirement is my ultimate career goal

Love this!  ;D

Sponsored Links