Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First Time Filing US Tax Return from UK  (Read 686 times)

• settled in UK July 2018 on unmarried partner visa
  • Liked: 1
First Time Filing US Tax Return from UK
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »
Hi:

We've been in the UK since July 2018, and we have used my Pennsylvania based accountant to file our 2018, and 2019 US tax returns.
For one reason or another, he has gone AWOL, and it does not seem like he's going to be able to help us with our 2020 return.

So, I am looking into filing the 2020 return myself. But of course, I'm in unfamiliar waters, have lots of questions, and I am not sure what I'll be able to do, and not do.

Am I right in thinking it is possible for me to file my 2020 US return electronically? If so, I am guessing that a 'free file' program like Turbo Tax or others listed on the IRS site would work? (I read somewhere that UK-based American tax payers had to file paper returns but that may be wrong.)

I think everything is pretty straightforward. But I was wondering about a few things.....

We missed out on the 2nd stimulus payment, so I'd be trying to claim the recovery rebate credit. We also are not sure we've been getting the Child Tax Credit (s)(we have two kids 9 + 15), and I need to make sure to find out if we were eligible and/or missing out.

I understand the need to file FBARs to the IRS. Are those forms found on the IRS website separately, or would those forms be part of the tax return and found on the free file program?

I have been using a UK based accountant to help me with my self-assessment return for HMRC, but was wondering if anyone knows an accountant who is qualified to file both US and UK tax returns? (That may help streamline things?)

Thanks very much.

H
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:25:18 PM by HarryHotspur »

• Liked: 718
Re: First Time Filing US Tax Return from UK
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
FBAR filing is pretty straightforward and you do it online here
https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/main.html

I use TurboTax but there are other free file options available. If you don’t have a US credit card with a US correspondence address then TurboTax may be a problem. I do know that TurboTax covers the stimulus tax credit, it prompts you about it, so I would assume other online filing programs will be similar.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• settled in UK July 2018 on unmarried partner visa
  • Liked: 1
Re: First Time Filing US Tax Return from UK
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
thanks very much - good to know!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab