Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Recent travel to the USA?  (Read 3009 times)

• Liked: 1
Recent travel to the USA?
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
Dear all,
I am due to leave in 10 days to San Fran and was wondering if there is anyone out there who experienced travelling to the US recently and how it went. Were you questioned as to why you were travelling abroad? 4/5 of my family has US citizenship, and my wife has a summer job waiting for her there. I am more worried about myself, as I am not a US citizen. I know the US will be ok, as spouse. But I am unclear if the UK will let me leave alright. They recommend not to travel unless you have an essential reason but will I be quizzed about this at any point before leaving the UK? And it is a recommendation, after all, isn't it?
Thanks,
Matteo

• Liked: 672
Re: Recent travel to the USA?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
Haven't traveled recently, sorry. But looking at the UK govmt website it looks as if international travel restrictions (outbound) have been lifted for England (didn't check the other three).

For when you get to SFO, here's some online advice.  https://www.flysfo.com/travel-well

Good luck and safe travels.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »
Hi I flew to SF in April as a UK person.  My Wife a US Citizen was already in America

When I got to heathrow I was quizzed by American Border Force and asked to show the following
Marriage Certificate
Copy of my wifes passport
Asked why I was going,  it was for a family funeral.

I was also quizzed by UK people and again I explained the above.  I also had a copy of death certificate but did not need to show that to anyone it was just questions.

I believe on the UK side as they are Amber then you can go and no issue but for the US quizzing side as they are still not allowing outside peopple in expect spouse of citizens etc ensure you have paper work as some people that were trying to fly did not have it and were having issues.  I dont know if it was resolved or not.

In terms of entering I needed a Lateral Test which I got easily enough for £50 and had to upload the certificate, ensure you have a printed copy as well it made life easier as it was checked 3 times, twice at Heathrow and once at Chicago (connecting airport to SF).

Coming back I had pre purchased my lateral test via Qured.com for £39 and took it with me then arranged a video consulation which went smooth.   Also had to fill in the passenger locator forms again having this printed made life easier.  And off course book your day 2 and day 8 test in advance as you have to show that on return in heathrow.  (thats if your coming back!)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »
Thank you both, sounds like doable. I am not prebooking my test for the way back yet, as it is in 45 days and one never knows which rules will apply then. Hopefully it will be possible to arrange that from the States directly.
Matteo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
I struggled a bit with the test for coming back when I was looking around at the Airport it was $260  but United had a postal offer on for $99 but I didnt trust the post to get back do the anlayse and issue me with a certificate, so for the price of £39 I pre purchased here in UK just so I had one in case it changed.   My wife is coming back in a few weeks from SF, so I have posted her one over the weekend and just hope it doesnt get stopped I put it down as makeup!  ::)

• Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 06:21:44 PM »
I flew back in March (London Heathrow -> layover in Atlanta -> Cleveland, Ohio) when there were still travel restrictions. I wasn't asked for my reason for travel... the Delta employee took one look at my US passport and was like "Oh, that's alright then." I'm not sure if you have to give your "reason for travel" now that restrictions have been lifted.

I was asked for my Covid test results several times though. I also had to upload the result on some Delta website too- I didn't know about that until I arrived at the airport. Make sure you bring a printout of your test results. I just think it makes things easier at the airport. Overall, it was fine.

I did the rapid lateral flow test since it was a lot cheaper than the PCR. Had it done at a local pharmacy.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 107
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
I wonder why they ask for your reasoning? We're flying on Friday to Philadelphia, would they refuse entry for a reason outside of funerals etc?
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »
I struggled a bit with the test for coming back when I was looking around at the Airport it was $260  but United had a postal offer on for $99 but I didnt trust the post to get back do the anlayse and issue me with a certificate, so for the price of £39 I pre purchased here in UK just so I had one in case it changed.   My wife is coming back in a few weeks from SF, so I have posted her one over the weekend and just hope it doesnt get stopped I put it down as makeup!  ::)

Ouch, I did not realize it could have been so much more expensive to get tested in the USA. It is not a big deal if it was only me travelling, but being 5 of us, the difference in price is considerable... I will probably order the "travel-back" antigen tests from here and bring these with me, even if it means taking the risk of having wasted my money should they change/simplify the US-UK travel requirements. Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
I wonder why they ask for your reasoning? We're flying on Friday to Philadelphia, would they refuse entry for a reason outside of funerals etc?

Maybe there won't be any questioning at all. It is just this mixed message of legally being able to travel, but really don't, unless you have essential reasons.. I think before they opened things up in May, you had to demonstrate those reasons, now I guess (and hope) they just say this to put people off but they don't really check, given that, as they say, you are entitle to travel. I asked a travel agency yesterday and they confirmed that there should be no issues. They said that I should not be quizzed by the UK authorities regarding my reasons for travelling.
Enjoy your trip! (and let us know how it all went)

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »
Maybe there won't be any questioning at all. It is just this mixed message of legally being able to travel, but really don't, unless you have essential reasons.. I think before they opened things up in May, you had to demonstrate those reasons, now I guess (and hope) they just say this to put people off but they don't really check, given that, as they say, you are entitle to travel. I asked a travel agency yesterday and they confirmed that there should be no issues. They said that I should not be quizzed by the UK authorities regarding my reasons for travelling.
Enjoy your trip! (and let us know how it all went)

I agree UK have now opened up travel without questions, but you will have to qualify for entry into USA under there covid laws, hence why I had to show documentation my wife was an American....     

Fingers crossed all be good for you... 

• Liked: 672
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 03:56:48 PM »

They certainly would if at least one of a pair of travelers was not a citizen or PR of the USA and the other party their legal spouse, at present. You may actually not be able to board the flight at all if not one of the aforementioned. That said, they may ask why you are entering the USA when you get to the USA. They used to ask that question of us even before Covid....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:01:05 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
Ouch, I did not realize it could have been so much more expensive to get tested in the USA. It is not a big deal if it was only me travelling, but being 5 of us, the difference in price is considerable... I will probably order the "travel-back" antigen tests from here and bring these with me, even if it means taking the risk of having wasted my money should they change/simplify the US-UK travel requirements. Thanks for the tip!

Purposely expensive to “deter travel”  ::)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 08:07:49 AM »
Hi I flew to SF in April as a UK person.  My Wife a US Citizen was already in America

When I got to heathrow I was quizzed by American Border Force and asked to show the following
Marriage Certificate
Copy of my wifes passport
Asked why I was going,  it was for a family funeral.

I was also quizzed by UK people and again I explained the above.  I also had a copy of death certificate but did not need to show that to anyone it was just questions.

I believe on the UK side as they are Amber then you can go and no issue but for the US quizzing side as they are still not allowing outside peopple in expect spouse of citizens etc ensure you have paper work as some people that were trying to fly did not have it and were having issues.  I dont know if it was resolved or not.

In terms of entering I needed a Lateral Test which I got easily enough for £50 and had to upload the certificate, ensure you have a printed copy as well it made life easier as it was checked 3 times, twice at Heathrow and once at Chicago (connecting airport to SF).

Coming back I had pre purchased my lateral test via Qured.com for £39 and took it with me then arranged a video consulation which went smooth.   Also had to fill in the passenger locator forms again having this printed made life easier.  And off course book your day 2 and day 8 test in advance as you have to show that on return in heathrow.  (thats if your coming back!)

I’m headed home as citizen of the US on the 24th of June, I’ve been getting mixed messages about the tests I actually need to take. I don’t want to waste money and buy something that isn’t accepted. Can someone confirm what I need to do to board the plane in the UK and gain entry into the US on the 24th and what I need to do once I fly back home to the UK on July 5th? So far I’ve seen both PCR, lateral, and 2-8day tests. Do I need all of these?!?
First Met-March 22 2013
Started dating-March 25 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014
Application submitted-January 30 2015
Biometrics-February 5 2015
Documents sent-February 9 2015
Documents recieved at Sheffield- February 11 2015
Visa decision email-February 24 2015
Visa received-February 26 2015
Flights booked-March 4 2015

• Liked: 107
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »
You need a lateral flow test or PCR prior to flying to USA and UK. Generally, it's pointless paying extra for PCR tests unless you're gravely concerned about the person you're visiting as they're more accurate.

You basically need tests for these:

1) Test to show you're covid negative upon entry into the USA.
2) Test to show you're covid negative upon entry into the UK.
3) Test to show if you're covid negative up to 2 days after arrival into the UK.
4) Test to show if you're covid negative 8 days after arrival into the UK.

These are the required tests and days (as of today):

1) Lateral flow or PCR test up to 3 days before your flight into USA.
2) Lateral flow or PCR test up to 3 days before your flight into UK.
3) PCR test up to 2 days after arrival into the UK.
4) PCR test 8 days or later after arrival into the UK.
Optional) PCR test 5 days after arrival into the UK to break the required quarantine (i.e. test to release).

Using your dates you need the following:

1) Lateral flow or PCR test earliest 21st June (flight to USA).
2) Lateral flow or PCR test earliest 2nd July (flight to UK).
3) PCR test between 5th - 7th July (Day 2). Your arrival day is classed as Day 0. You can take your "Day 2" test between Day 0 and 2.
4) PCR test 13th July or after (Day 8 )
Optional) PCR test 10th July (test to release).

It's confusing I know. My dates above are assuming you land on 5th July. If you land the day after (eg. red eye) offset all those by a day.

We're travelling to USA on Friday. We had lateral flow tests done last night by a company called Qured. They're an approved company. They mail you the tests, you book a virtual appointment and they watch you take the tests. You then send a picture of your results next to your ID and they then send you a certificate. The great thing with them is you can take your tests with you to America to do your appointments. They're £39 each and BA provide a 15% discount.

Budget around £170-200 for tests per person.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:01:00 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »
You need a lateral flow test or PCR prior to flying to USA and UK. Generally, it's pointless paying extra for PCR tests unless you're gravely concerned about the person you're visiting as they're more accurate.

You basically need tests for these:

1) Test to show you're covid negative upon entry into the USA.
2) Test to show you're covid negative upon entry into the UK.
3) Test to show if you're covid negative up to 2 days after arrival into the UK.
4) Test to show if you're covid negative 8 days after arrival into the UK.

These are the required tests and days (as of today):

1) Lateral flow or PCR test up to 3 days before your flight into USA.
2) Lateral flow or PCR test up to 3 days before your flight into UK.
3) PCR test up to 2 days after arrival into the UK.
4) PCR test 8 days or later after arrival into the UK.
Optional) PCR test 5 days after arrival into the UK to break the required quarantine (i.e. test to release).

Using your dates you need the following:

1) Lateral flow or PCR test earliest 21st June (flight to USA).
2) Lateral flow or PCR test earliest 2nd July (flight to UK).
3) PCR test between 5th - 7th July (Day 2). Your arrival day is classed as Day 0. You can take your "Day 2" test between Day 0 and 2.
4) PCR test 13th July or after (Day 8 )
Optional) PCR test 10th July (test to release).

It's confusing I know. My dates above are assuming you land on 5th July. If you land the day after (eg. red eye) offset all those by a day.

We're travelling to USA on Friday. We had lateral flow tests done last night by a company called Qured. They're an approved company. They mail you the tests, you book a virtual appointment and they watch you take the tests. You then send a picture of your results next to your ID and they then send you a certificate. The great thing with them is you can take your tests with you to America to do your appointments. They're £39 each and BA provide a 15% discount.

Budget around £170-200 for tests per person.

Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful!

Have a safe flight on Friday 😊
First Met-March 22 2013
Started dating-March 25 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014
Application submitted-January 30 2015
Biometrics-February 5 2015
Documents sent-February 9 2015
Documents recieved at Sheffield- February 11 2015
Visa decision email-February 24 2015
Visa received-February 26 2015
Flights booked-March 4 2015