Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Going home to see son  (Read 1112 times)

• Liked: 77
Going home to see son
« on: June 08, 2021, 06:35:34 AM »
Ok quick recap. I'm the US citizen here in the UK, wife is British citizen. I've been living here in the UK for 3 1/2 years. I haven't seen my son since summer of 2019 and I'm planning on flying out to California next month to spend a couple weeks with him.

From all I've read and seen, I should be able to go without problem, correct? Yes I know possible quarantine rules apply depending on the state rules at the time I arrive, and I'll have to quarantine upon returning to the UK. But other than that I'm good to go, right?

And what about my wife, would she be allowed to join me? If so, what kinds of information/documentation will we be expected to provide?
Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

• Liked: 107
Re: Going home to see son
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:14:21 AM »
You have zero issues going to your home country. The only thing you require is a negative covid test up to 3 days before your flight. Or, proof from your doctor that you've recovered from previously having covid up to a certain point (think it's 3 months).

Your wife can join you with obviously the same covid conditions but will need to provide evidence such as your marriage certificate to prove she's exempt from the proclamation. It's also handy for her to have a copy of your passport bio page.

If your wife is travelling make sure she has her ESTA up to date, even though it'll likely be cancelled prior to the flight. Also, ensure you do not check-in online prior to your flight to USA if travelling with your wife. This isn't a problem if travelling on your own.

Your wife can also travel to USA independently if required by ensuring she carries the evidence as above. Folk on this forum have done this.

So, in an answer, yes. You're fine with or without your wife  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:18:50 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for this information! A couple of questions - you say my wife's ESTA will be likely be cancelled, why is that? And what is the reason behind not checking in online prior to the flight?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for this information! A couple of questions - you say my wife's ESTA will be likely be cancelled, why is that? And what is the reason behind not checking in online prior to the flight?

British nationals are not currently allowed to travel to the USA *unless* married to a citizen. So ESTAs are being validated at the airport. Same with checkin. Just easiest if she show jumps through all the hoops at the airport. Unless things change, the tests upon return can be quite expensive (couple hundred ££ per person), just factor that into your budget.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:27:32 PM »
British nationals are not currently allowed to travel to the USA *unless* married to a citizen. So ESTAs are being validated at the airport. Same with checkin. Just easiest if she show jumps through all the hoops at the airport. Unless things change, the tests upon return can be quite expensive (couple hundred ££ per person), just factor that into your budget.
Makes sense, ok thanks for the additional info!

• Liked: 107
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »
Makes sense, ok thanks for the additional info!

As KF said. They manually have to override the ban/ESTA cancellation by calling Border Control who give the check-in staff a code upon showing them your evidence. If you check-in online it messes everything up. It is inconvenient but is probably significantly more convenient then already being checked in online.

Just to make the point. If your ESTA remains active and you check in online do not be fooled. People have had their ESTA's cancelled mid-flight and/or when they land. It's imperative you check in the "old school" way and state that you're exempt from the Presidential Proclamation.

Section 1.  Suspension and Limitation on Entry.  (a)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, and the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
(b)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any noncitizen national of the United States;

(iii)   any noncitizen who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iv)    any noncitizen who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v)     any noncitizen who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(vi)    any noncitizen who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
So we've been in the US for about 10 days now, and we're scheduled to fly back home to the UK on Thursday. We're looking to book our COVID tests, and just want to make sure - is a lateral flow test sufficient? It was when we flew into the US, and just want to make sure it will be sufficient for flying into the UK. Also want to make sure the rules haven't changed while we've been gone, as we haven't been following the news much.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 07:17:56 PM »
The rules change every 5 minutes.  Not much help but have a look at the news and read the .gov website to see what you need to do.

I think most people bring the test for reentry to the U.K. with them for convenience and cost. 

• Liked: 23
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:01 PM »
I have a round trip (US -> UK -> US) coming up in 3 weeks. I spent ages on the UK & US government sites puzzling out what tests were required when. Then I spent even longer finding test providers, compare pricing, timings etc.

Then I found out the airplane companies have their own info pages and test package discounts. I found these much easier to follow / order through, and is the route I'll take when needing to book my tests in about a week's time.

If you are traveling in only 4 days time, I doubt you have time to order an airplane company deal (Virgin Atlantic's offer for example asks you to order/book 2 weeks in advance), but here's some links anyway:

BA info/offer page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/incident/coronavirus/covid19-tests
VA offer page: https://www.azova.com/uk/deltavirgin/

Sponsored Links