Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expired stimulus check, going round in circles with irs  (Read 1589 times)

• Liked: 19
Expired stimulus check, going round in circles with irs
« on: July 09, 2021, 03:00:35 PM »
Right, so I've just been on hold for over an hour with the IRS trying to submit a request to reissue my first stimulus check, which has expired. Unfortunately, the options I chose took me to a department that couldn't help, and the very polite woman told me the correct options to put in to reach the applicable department.
I have tried calling the number using those options several times, and every time, I get rejected saying that their call volume is very high and they can't take my call, and to call back later or the next business day.

Is there any other way around calling? If I wait long enough, will they reissue the check anyway, or credit it to my account?

I'm really frustrated, because I've spent a significant amount of time fretting over this and trying to sort it to no avail. I am seriously regretting not UPSing the damn check to my US bank.

ANY advice or suggestions at all would be heartily appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

• Liked: 0
Re: Expired stimulus check, going round in circles with irs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »
Simply claim it on this year's tax return via the Recovery Rebate Credit (or amend if already submitted). See the first FAQ for the second stimulus check, which will apply to the first as well.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs [nofollow]

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
Like you, I have tried many times to get someone to answer the 1-800-919-9835 number without success.

I decided to send form 3911  for my missing check.  I think you can use the form in your situation because there is an option: "Your check was not cashed within one year of the issue date as the law requires ...".

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-payment-issued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received

I'd follow the instructions on the above link, including "EIB1" at the top, but selecting the "expired check" option. The page provides the mailing address and fax number for the Austin IRS for expats.

Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
Like you, I have tried many times to get someone to answer the 1-800-919-9835 number without success.

I decided to send form 3911  for my missing check.  I think you can use the form in your situation because there is an option: "Your check was not cashed within one year of the issue date as the law requires ...".

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-payment-issued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received

I'd follow the instructions on the above link, including "EIB1" at the top, but selecting the "expired check" option. The page provides the mailing address and fax number for the Austin IRS for expats.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info, I did finally get through to someone, though it took about an hour's wait. I did eventually download the 3911, filled it out and faxed it to them. It was a whole afternoon gone dealing with it!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
I'd also strongly suggest seeing if your US bank has a check scanning app. Most banks have this now. I just scan in my IRS checks on my phone and they get deposited within a few days.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
I'd also strongly suggest seeing if your US bank has a check scanning app. Most banks have this now. I just scan in my IRS checks on my phone and they get deposited within a few days.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately my bank in TX is a small local bank and their app is for use only in the US. It would have been the only way I could have scanned the check.

• Liked: 45
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
It maybe that your location is set to the U.K and the bank's app won't update. Simply change location to any zip in the U.S., and make up the rest. I use iPhone and do it all the time for banking and 401(k) ect that are not authorized for use outside the U.S. Once done, force update on phone. I'd suspect Android has a similar system. You can change back to U.K., for any future BBC iPlayer/Sounds updates, as these won't work in any other store but the U.K. I did this in reverse too, works every time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab