Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling US to UK - Covid testing timing  (Read 1187 times)

• Liked: 21
Travelling US to UK - Covid testing timing
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »
I go back to the UK in two weeks, after a long visit here in the US (I have ILR). I know I need to get a Covid test within 3 days of boarding the flight. Does anyone know if it needs to be taken (at most) 72 hours before the flight time? Or could it be taken at any time 3 days before the flight? On the UK gov't site, it only states that a test needs to be taken " in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs."

Maybe I'm reading too much into semantics, but I'd rather know for sure rather than being denied boarding for taking the test too early. It's a PCR test with a 1-2 day turnaround time, so the sooner I can take it the better. There was the option for a rapid antigen lateral flow test, but it didn't quite meet the specifications on the gov't site.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:51:39 PM by Karlee »
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 239
Re: Travelling US to UK - Covid testing timing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:10:53 AM »
As long as you take the test within the 72 hours before your flight departs, you’re clear. I did a rapid antigen test to come back from the US. Had my results within 2 hours of when I took it. I did my test the day before my flight back departed. Many of us on this forum have used Qured for antigen tests and had no problem with them being accepted. Cost £39 if I remember correctly.

I go back to the UK in two weeks, after a long visit here in the US (I have ILR). I know I need to get a Covid test within 3 days of boarding the flight. Does anyone know if it needs to be taken (at most) 72 hours before the flight time? Or could it be taken at any time 3 days before the flight? On the UK gov't site, it only states that a test needs to be taken " in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs."

Maybe I'm reading too much into semantics, but I'd rather know for sure rather than being denied boarding for taking the test too early. It's a PCR test with a 1-2 day turnaround time, so the sooner I can take it the better. There was the option for a rapid antigen lateral flow test, but it didn't quite meet the specifications on the gov't site.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 31
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 02:07:09 PM »

You can take it 3 days prior to departure.  So if you fly on a Friday you can take a test as early as Tuesday.  Here's the wording from the gov.uk website:

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you can take the test on or after Tuesday. You will need to have the negative result available before boarding on Friday.

And here's the link:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england#when-to-take-your-test

You mentioned taking a PCR test.  An antigen test is probably cheaper with a quicker turnaround time, although the report needs to state the name of the device (testing kit) used.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 05:39:07 PM »

You mentioned taking a PCR test.  An antigen test is probably cheaper with a quicker turnaround time, although the report needs to state the name of the device (testing kit) used.

Thank you, both! I had no idea about Qured, but will keep it in mind for my next trip. CVS Pharmacy luckily offers free Covid testing. It's been difficult to find an antigen test here that meets the gov't requirements... CVS's antigen test has a 96.6% specificity, but according to the gov't website it needs to be over 97% specificity. Yeah, it's very close and might not get picked up on at all. But, I'm not willing to take the chance. So, I'll probably just have to go with PCR.

To fly to the US, I only need to take a rapid antigen test- there were no specifics given about test accuracy or anything.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links