Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Phone number while in US that I can keep later?  (Read 1272 times)

• Liked: 0
US Phone number while in US that I can keep later?
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
I currently dont have a US mobile phone # anymore. Friends visiting family in US have gotten away with using whatsapp for some calls. But that doesnt work if you need to call a US number of a business, or someone not on whatsapp.

What's the current best advice for getting a US phone number that I can use for regular calls (for example to a restaurant or business) while in US? What if I want to keep that number for future (like for banks)? Can one easily get a pay as you go US sim?

Do most US pay as you go sim cards now also work while in the UK, ie if someone calls me on that number once I return to UK? Or if I need to check messages? My old one (T mobile) didnt work in UK.

Also is there a pay as you go US simcard that you dont have to top up every year? I forgot to top mine up one year, and lost $150 of credit, and the phone number disappeared.

Is it a good idea to get a dual sim phone for future, for that reason?

• Liked: 4985
Re: US Phone number while in US that I can keep later?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
I just use Skype to call businesses if needed.  I know there are lots of other apps that work as well, but I've had no issue with Skype.  I know you can have a US number through Skype but again, I know you can with any of the popular apps.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
If you join EE on a Smart Benefit plan it includes 'Roam Abroad' which means you literally get all your standard contract minutes, texts and data while in the USA (and other countries). So for me it's seamless when I go over. Same number, no passing out temporary numbers etc and I use it as if in the UK.

Whoever your phone contract is with give them a call. You may be surprised they have these benefits or at least add-ons.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:32:26 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:50:26 PM »
I just use Skype to call businesses if needed.  I know there are lots of other apps that work as well, but I've had no issue with Skype.  I know you can have a US number through Skype but again, I know you can with any of the popular apps.

Same here. Used it again last month for a very long call with the US Social Security office and it works great from the app on my UK phone or from my tablet or laptop.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
Same here. Used it again last month for a very long call with the US Social Security office and it works great from the app on my UK phone or from my tablet or laptop.

And I know you can give people a US number to call and it'll just ring through the app to your phone like a normal phone call. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »
Another Skype user here too
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 19
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »
I've used Skype minutes for calling abroad loads of times, but I'm wondering, if I get a US phone number through Skype, can it receive texts from the US as well?

I have an issue with my bank's mobile website that never recognizes my phone when I try to log in, it asks for a security code every time. I have my mom's phone number connected to the account so she can just let me know the security code when the text goes to her, but she's not always available when I need to check my account.

So, if I got a US Skype number, I'm wondering if I can use it for this purpose? I couldn't find any info whether it accepts texts as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
I've used Skype minutes for calling abroad loads of times, but I'm wondering, if I get a US phone number through Skype, can it receive texts from the US as well?

I have an issue with my bank's mobile website that never recognizes my phone when I try to log in, it asks for a security code every time. I have my mom's phone number connected to the account so she can just let me know the security code when the text goes to her, but she's not always available when I need to check my account.

So, if I got a US Skype number, I'm wondering if I can use it for this purpose? I couldn't find any info whether it accepts texts as well.

It does not receive texts.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:11:43 AM »
short answer I'm afraid is no.  I really wanted a US mobile myself, but unfortunately something like a UK PAYG mobile SIM that works overseas just doesn't exist.  You'd have to get a contract with one of the major providers, even then if you are outside the network for a period of time it stops working.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
I do have a US Skype number and both our US bank and US Vanguard accounts have the option of a text security message via voice.  It works well, my phone rings and when I answer a robotic voice calls out the verification code.

I remember when SS online first introduced 2FA and they required a cell phone to receive a text. That didn’t last long when they realized how many old Americans didn’t own a cell phone, so their 2FA is a code sent to your registered email.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
I do have a US Skype number and both our US bank and US Vanguard accounts have the option of a text security message via voice.  It works well, my phone rings and when I answer a robotic voice calls out the verification code.

I remember when SS online first introduced 2FA and they required a cell phone to receive a text. That didn’t last long when they realized how many old Americans didn’t own a cell phone, so their 2FA is a code sent to your registered email.
Ah, yes, I didn't even think of using the voice 2FA option. My bank does offer that as well. Maybe Ill try that and see how far I get. Thanks

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

Sponsored Links