Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel back to U.K.  (Read 1025 times)

• Liked: 8
Travel back to U.K.
« on: December 07, 2021, 04:42:43 AM »
Hi all

So I am travelling back to U.K. this weekend and U.K. government now requiring a test before I fly

I’m the past they have always stipulated it in hours so for example if two days it was 48 hours. Reading the U.K. site now they have examples and terms saying days not hours. So for example if flying at 4pm on a Sunday you can do any two days before that so it could even be 9am Friday which is outside of the 48 hours but in a 2 day window.   Confusion and worry is all newspapers are still saying 48 hours. 

My flight is 4pm Sunday and I have a test 9am Friday outside 48 but inside 2 days as per example.  Anyone have any thoughts if I should change it to after 4 just to play safe?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 23
Re: Travel back to U.K.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 05:39:29 AM »
That's what I've done (my flight is the day after yours). While the UK government's web page is crystal clear that it's anytime on any of the two day's preceding the flight*, every single press and travel article I've read says 48 hours. I also couldn't find out if the UK entry required video observation like the US does, so I opted for that as well.

I've also scheduled two tests. One 47 hours before my flight, one mid morning the day before my flight. They don't talk about it much, but these tests have a 1-2% false positive rate (their false-negative rate is practically zero though) and I've been bitten by false-positive before**. If the first test is good, I'll rescheduled the second test to serve as my return flight test.

DaveB

* https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england#when-to-take-your-test
You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you could take a test any time on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The test result must be available for boarding.

** I was due to fly out in August, but had a false positive (disproved by follow up PCR test, but by then it was too late to fly). Mine was one of the 2 million Ellume test kits they've now recalled. So if your test was bought from Ellume and more than a couple of weeks ago, you should check their website to see if yours is affected. If it's on the recall list, the app won't let you use that kit, but by the time you're at that stage, it's too late to make other arrangements. They were supposed to reach out to everyone affected, but they never reached out to me. As the kits were issued under FDA emergency authorization, they don't have to provide any compensation. They are providing replacement kits, but delivery time is two to three weeks (too late for me and my remaining Ellume kits as I only heard about the official recall Friday night)

Edit: It didn't like my anchored hyperlink. Repeatedly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 05:48:10 AM by DaveB »

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 05:47:28 AM »
Hi

I’ve booked into a drive through test centre in Sacramento. They inform me they give a certificate that I can upload for travel.   I have travelled 4-5 times this year in and out of U.K. / Europe /USA and found that U.K. have been ok with certificates uploaded that are stamped and didn’t require video. Ie you can do test and send photo to company to get the certificate.  Off course this is open to abuse as it’s possible you wasn’t the actual person taking the test. But every time I have travelled they stipulated days in hours which is different to what they are saying now.     I did also read coming into usa now you need a test prior to fly one day before but they are saying it’s anytime previous day and not just 24 hours.     I can change my test to a time within 48 hours but really didn’t want to be hitting Sacramento at rush hour I much prefer to be having last few days having a few beers

• Liked: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 06:03:54 AM »
I also couldn't find out if the UK entry required video observation like the US does, so I opted for that as well.
I’ve booked into a drive through test centre in Sacramento. They inform me they give a certificate that I can upload for travel.   I have travelled 4-5 times this year in and out of U.K. / Europe /USA and found that U.K. have been ok with certificates uploaded that are stamped and didn’t require video.
My bad, I should have just said observation rather than video observation. I didn't mean to imply the UK was asking for a copy of the video. I think you're observed automatically at the drive through, but I'm doing a home test, so for me it's over video.

To be honest, I'm unclear if the intent is to prevent cheating (I do have to show ID) or just to ensure you are doing the test correctly.

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 07:29:51 AM by DaveB »

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 03:35:22 PM »
Ok it’s pretty clear now on government site. They have scrapped 24 hours and said 2 days so it can be > 48 hours they give an example as well

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Sponsored Links