Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Self intro  (Read 1985 times)

• Liked: 1
Self intro
« on: February 10, 2022, 12:18:08 PM »
Hello all. Just joining this site due to coming "re-entry" to the UK. I'm a dual US/UK ciitizen, born and grew up in the UK, been in the US for most of my adult working life. Returning to the UK to live and work in May, with dual citizen son just finishing uni in the UK and who will be staying, and husband who is British but has lived in the US almost as long as I have. While I've certainly been back to the UK many, many times whilst living in the US, I haven't lived there for a very long time and don't know the most basic things about actually running an adult life there  :D  Hence joining this forum to try to fill in some of those gaps, among other things.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Self intro
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 01:24:46 PM »
Welcome!

Fantastic that you don't have visas to deal with.   Be prepared for a bit of culture shock but other than that, relax and enjoy not having to worry about medical bills.  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 03:17:33 PM »
Welcome!

Fantastic that you don't have visas to deal with.   Be prepared for a bit of culture shock but other than that, relax and enjoy not having to worry about medical bills.  :)

Thanks. Yes, no visas a huge plus, ditto on not paying through the nose for medical coverage. I find that overall I don't suffer culture shock in the UK due to growing up there, but in specific instances I'm not at all sure how to behave or if I'm doing it properly. Working in a UK office, for example - I really don't know about work culture in that way - other than it seems to take days for people to answer my emails  :D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 08:55:36 AM »
Thanks. Yes, no visas a huge plus, ditto on not paying through the nose for medical coverage. I find that overall I don't suffer culture shock in the UK due to growing up there, but in specific instances I'm not at all sure how to behave or if I'm doing it properly. Working in a UK office, for example - I really don't know about work culture in that way - other than it seems to take days for people to answer my emails  :D
  Work culture has completely changed since covid.  I'd guess that we went from three percent of office workers working from home to %90.  Offices are empty. I went to work every day, mostly in the city for 17 years.  Haven't set foor in an office for 2 years. 

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:10:51 AM »
  Work culture has completely changed since covid.  I'd guess that we went from three percent of office workers working from home to %90.  Offices are empty. I went to work every day, mostly in the city for 17 years.  Haven't set foor in an office for 2 years.

Where I'll be working, it's only one day a week actually in the office.

Sponsored Links