Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 152539 times)

• Liked: 1894
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #2310 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »
Ohmigosh, that post started by talking about "apple pie egg rolls" and I though, "OH, man... I bet those are like the old McDonald's pies...."  And then they said it!  I want to make the apple version!  My husband would love them!  And so would I!  I could pre-make them and freeze them, then we could just fry up what we want when we want to eat them...!

I have an important question that is going to make some of you judge me...

So, I "didn't like" cream cheese in the US.  And by that I mean I had it once on something when I was very young and I didn't like the something, so I thought I hated cream cheese.  I think it was a jalapeno popper, and I was expecting cheez whiz or Velveeta or something inside, but it was one of the ones filled with cream cheese instead, and I was bitterly disappointed so swore off cream cheese forever.  Because of this, I don't know how, say, Philadelphia Cream Cheese tastes on its own.  But I do know it worked as an ingredient in things in the US.  My question/concern is, if I buy "soft cheese" or cream cheese over here and use it the same way I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese in the US, will my result be what I remember from the US?  Or will it be less sharp?
I am surprised!  How can you go through life without cream cheese as a major food group?  What do you put on bagels?

If you want to rectify this, I would stick with full fat Philidelphia.  All those store brands and lite this or that will probably not be good. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2311 on: October 21, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
I am surprised!  How can you go through life without cream cheese as a major food group?  What do you put on bagels?

If you want to rectify this, I would stick with full fat Philidelphia.  All those store brands and lite this or that will probably not be good.

I don't eat bagels... I mean, I did really like McDonald's breakfast bagel sandwiches, if that counts (a super-guilty pleasure, because they're actually really terrible, but I couldn't help myself).  But generally speaking, I did not understand bagels.  I wouldn't mind savoury ones, probably, but all the ones that have been presented to me were sweet.  Or, topped with sweet things, or had cinnamon raisin swirled in them, or in some way made to be more like a sweet thing.  And I already had sweet things that were nice to fill that niche (cinnamon rolls, donuts, etc.).  I didn't need bagels, too.  Now, maybe a good savoury bagel with savoury toppings... yeah, I could do that.  But, then I don't need cream cheese on it because it's already savoury.

I dunno.  The whole thing just doesn't have a place in my diet.  And now I live over here, so I'm not going to try to rectify my misunderstanding of bagels.  No sense making me crave something that seems so hard to get over here, based on this thread.  :)

Having said all that, I have been putting "soft cheese" (generic cream cheese, I think) on my baked potatoes since my husband taught me about that.  It provides the creaminess of butter and the sharpness of (what Americans know as) sour cream in a single product.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #2312 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »
I don't eat bagels... I mean, I did really like McDonald's breakfast bagel sandwiches, if that counts (a super-guilty pleasure, because they're actually really terrible, but I couldn't help myself).  But generally speaking, I did not understand bagels.  I wouldn't mind savoury ones, probably, but all the ones that have been presented to me were sweet.  Or, topped with sweet things, or had cinnamon raisin swirled in them, or in some way made to be more like a sweet thing.  And I already had sweet things that were nice to fill that niche (cinnamon rolls, donuts, etc.).  I didn't need bagels, too.  Now, maybe a good savoury bagel with savoury toppings... yeah, I could do that.  But, then I don't need cream cheese on it because it's already savoury.

I dunno.  The whole thing just doesn't have a place in my diet.  And now I live over here, so I'm not going to try to rectify my misunderstanding of bagels.  No sense making me crave something that seems so hard to get over here, based on this thread.  :)

Having said all that, I have been putting "soft cheese" (generic cream cheese, I think) on my baked potatoes since my husband taught me about that.  It provides the creaminess of butter and the sharpness of (what Americans know as) sour cream in a single product.
Oooh, that is a good idea! I haven't had a baked potato in a while but I may try that soon.

I like cream cheese and jam on toast, it reminds me of being a kid when my great grandma would make us sandwiches with the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2313 on: October 21, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »

So many misconceptions!
--Mcdonald's breakfast bagels have nothing to do with bagels, any more than a Mcdonald's cheeseburger has to to with a real cheeseburger.  Other than shape, they are not the same.

--sweet bagels can be ignored.  Like sweet pretzels or fried butter,  they are some freak thing that other people may eat, but have nothing to do with actual bagels and cream cheese.

--Bagels aren't hard to get!  Every Tesco has several types, every sandwich shop will have them as well. 

I would suggest that with your next Tesco order, you get 1 pack sesame seed bagels, two  shallots, one pack of smoked salmon, one small tub of classic Philadelphia  and a jar of capers.  Cut the bagels into thirds, since halves are too much.
 Toast the bagels (in your pizza oven if you have to) then let them cool a bit.  Spread the cream cheese, sprinkle on some cut shallots, some smoked salmon and 1 caper per quarter.  Eat your new favorite meal!  We have this at least twice a month in our house.

As much as I love cream cheese, I wouldn't put it on a baked potato except in an emergency.   That's what sour cream is for.  I do stir some cream cheese into my scrambled eggs to make them extra good. 

If I had a fancy pizza oven like yours, I would be making both pretzels and bagels at home .  I've done it before, you boil the dough a bit . 

« Reply #2314 on: October 21, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
So many misconceptions!
--Mcdonald's breakfast bagels have nothing to do with bagels, any more than a Mcdonald's cheeseburger has to to with a real cheeseburger.  Other than shape, they are not the same.

--sweet bagels can be ignored.  Like sweet pretzels or fried butter,  they are some freak thing that other people may eat, but have nothing to do with actual bagels and cream cheese.

--Bagels aren't hard to get!  Every Tesco has several types, every sandwich shop will have them as well. 

I would suggest that with your next Tesco order, you get 1 pack sesame seed bagels, two  shallots, one pack of smoked salmon, one small tub of classic Philadelphia  and a jar of capers.  Cut the bagels into thirds, since halves are too much.
 Toast the bagels (in your pizza oven if you have to) then let them cool a bit.  Spread the cream cheese, sprinkle on some cut shallots, some smoked salmon and 1 caper per quarter.  Eat your new favorite meal!  We have this at least twice a month in our house.

As much as I love cream cheese, I wouldn't put it on a baked potato except in an emergency.   That's what sour cream is for.  I do stir some cream cheese into my scrambled eggs to make them extra good. 

If I had a fancy pizza oven like yours, I would be making both pretzels and bagels at home .  I've done it before, you boil the dough a bit . 

I can't have the shallots as they're an asthma trigger.  But the smoked salmon sounds nice.  And I'm willing to give this a try if you think the flavour profile won't be lacking when I omit the shallots.  When you say "cut the bagel in thirds", you mean so it looks like three thin rings, yes?  Can I just pop the slices in the toaster?  (We bought a toaster a while ago!!!  We made room for it on top of our microwave... next to our kettle.  Our utili-kitchen is a hazard!)

Based on my experience of what passes for sour cream in the UK, it is an emergency!  I have struggled to find a baked potato topping that gives me the same tangy satisfaction of US-style sour cream.

I watched a "how it's made" kind of video about bagel making some time ago, and I was intrigued.  I would like to try making all the things, including bagels.  I suspect if I make a bagel, I will discover I like bagels (and making them).

This doesn't change my salmon bagel pursuit, but I just want to clarify that I am no longer shopping Tesco, except maybe once every 6 months when we need food but I'm not feeling up to going out to get it.  They have let us down far too many times, they cost more for inferior quality, and I have sorted out where I can find most of what I need locally.  And last week I went up to Carmarthen to get things, where I was even able to find chicory--something even Tesco can't bring me!  So, yay!

• Liked: 770
« Reply #2315 on: October 21, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
I can't have the shallots as they're an asthma trigger.  But the smoked salmon sounds nice.  And I'm willing to give this a try if you think the flavour profile won't be lacking when I omit the shallots.  When you say "cut the bagel in thirds", you mean so it looks like three thin rings, yes?  Can I just pop the slices in the toaster?  (We bought a toaster a while ago!!!  We made room for it on top of our microwave... next to our kettle.  Our utili-kitchen is a hazard!)

Based on my experience of what passes for sour cream in the UK, it is an emergency!  I have struggled to find a baked potato topping that gives me the same tangy satisfaction of US-style sour cream.

I watched a "how it's made" kind of video about bagel making some time ago, and I was intrigued.  I would like to try making all the things, including bagels.  I suspect if I make a bagel, I will discover I like bagels (and making them).

This doesn't change my salmon bagel pursuit, but I just want to clarify that I am no longer shopping Tesco, except maybe once every 6 months when we need food but I'm not feeling up to going out to get it.  They have let us down far too many times, they cost more for inferior quality, and I have sorted out where I can find most of what I need locally.  And last week I went up to Carmarthen to get things, where I was even able to find chicory--something even Tesco can't bring me!  So, yay!
What about creme Fraiche instead of sour cream?

And the cream cheese, salmon, dill and capers on grilled or toasted baguette is amazing too. Don't need bagels or shallots.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2316 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »

Ok then, omit the shallots if you want.  It's still going to be better than not having cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels. 

Yes, cut them into 3 thinner rings.  And straight into the toaster. 

Have you considered buying one of those grilled cheese bags for your toaster?  You put two slices of bread with cheese in the middle into the bag, then put that in the toaster. 

« Reply #2317 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

And the cream cheese, salmon, dill and capers on grilled or toasted baguette is amazing too. Don't need bagels or shallots.

Good call on the dill!

And yes, it seems like my grocery store has an unlimited variety of pots of creamy stuff.  And then the Polish aisle has even more stuff with funny names.  One of those must taste more like sour cream than store brand "soft cheese"

« Reply #2318 on: October 21, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »

We use creme fraiche for Mexican Platter and tacos, and it's what I used to use on baked potatoes, but it's not tangy enough.  I don't think I'm mis-remembering sour cream, but didn't it taste cool and fresh and sour?  And the consistency was definitely not runny.  You could dollop it...?  Right?  And what was it I'd get in restaurants that came in a little paper condiment cup, formed like it had been made with a miniature ice cream scoop?  THAT stuff was amazing!  I want that so badly.  It's what they gave me when I asked for sour cream, so I assume it was sour cream.

(Confession:  I didn't cook "from scratch" much in the US, so I don't know anything about real food from before I came here.  Now I make everything, but I'm trying to recreate my American junk food flavours using real food in the UK.)

« Reply #2319 on: October 21, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Ok then, omit the shallots if you want.  It's still going to be better than not having cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels. 

Yes, cut them into 3 thinner rings.  And straight into the toaster. 

Have you considered buying one of those grilled cheese bags for your toaster?  You put two slices of bread with cheese in the middle into the bag, then put that in the toaster.

hahha  No, I have not considered buying that.  It ... doesn't sound nice... Anyway, that's one thing I've always been able to do well.  I make a mean grilled cheese.  Well, at least, I like them.  :)

« Reply #2320 on: October 21, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
We use creme fraiche for Mexican Platter and tacos, and it's what I used to use on baked potatoes, but it's not tangy enough.  I don't think I'm mis-remembering sour cream, but didn't it taste cool and fresh and sour?  And the consistency was definitely not runny.  You could dollop it...?  Right?  And what was it I'd get in restaurants that came in a little paper condiment cup, formed like it had been made with a miniature ice cream scoop?  THAT stuff was amazing!  I want that so badly.  It's what they gave me when I asked for sour cream, so I assume it was sour cream.

(Confession:  I didn't cook "from scratch" much in the US, so I don't know anything about real food from before I came here.  Now I make everything, but I'm trying to recreate my American junk food flavours using real food in the UK.)
That version of sour cream I only found in Denny's.  All other store bought sour cream was never thick enough to be scooped with an ice cream scoop.

« Reply #2321 on: October 21, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
That version of sour cream I only found in Denny's.  All other store bought sour cream was never thick enough to be scooped with an ice cream scoop.

I would also get it in some steak places.  I'm not sure what it was, but I loved it.  Maybe it was lard with something added to make it tangy.  Who knows?  :P

But the store-bought stuff I would have at home, while not thick enough to scoop, was still thick/firm enough to dollop.  It wasn't runny and pourable like the stuff over here.

« Reply #2322 on: October 21, 2019, 12:45:57 PM »
I would also get it in some steak places.  I'm not sure what it was, but I loved it.  Maybe it was lard with something added to make it tangy.  Who knows? 

But the store-bought stuff I would have at home, while not thick enough to scoop, was still thick/firm enough to dollop.  It wasn't runny and pourable like the stuff over here.
I buy the sour cream from Lidl and Sainsbury's and it is thick unlike Tesco's brand which is a runny mess and not very nice.

« Reply #2323 on: October 21, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
I buy the sour cream from Lidl and Sainsbury's and it is thick unlike Tesco's brand which is a runny mess and not very nice.

Oohohohohoh!  "My" Lidl is nearly finished!  The building looks complete, and all the signage is up.  They probably haven't stocked inside yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer.  And it seems big compared to the Aldi where I have been doing the bulk of my shopping lately!  I'm cautiously optimistic that Lidl is going to enhance my life.

« Reply #2324 on: October 21, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
Oohohohohoh!  "My" Lidl is nearly finished!  The building looks complete, and all the signage is up.  They probably haven't stocked inside yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer.  And it seems big compared to the Aldi where I have been doing the bulk of my shopping lately!  I'm cautiously optimistic that Lidl is going to enhance my life.
Lidl will not just enhance your life. It will change your life. It is next level Aldi. My Lidl and Aldi are right next to each other. I don't bother going into Aldi anymore.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab