Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying to remain in the UK  (Read 10174 times)

• Liked: 3597
Applying to remain in the UK
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
Hello Everyone,
It looks like my ILR application has been approved. I got an email from the Home Office Atlas department informing me that my application has been approved. I hadn't heard of the Home Office Atlas department so at first wasn't sure if it was a spam message, but I guess there is not such a thing as the Home Office Atlas Department.
Thanks for everyone who has helped me over the years. I have gotten so much help here that I don't want to think how much more difficult the process would have been without everyone's help.
Of course, now that it appears that process has been completed I have more questions about what's next. :)

Congratulations :D!

First,
Since my Visa's have been based on  being engaged to and then eventually marrying my now wife in the UK, who is a British Citizen, does that mean I can immediately apply for British citizenship.  Been living in the UK for 6 years now. I see on the UK Gov. site it says anyone granted ILR has to live in the UK for an additional 12 months. However, it seems to also say that anyone who is married to a UK citizen may be able to apply sooner, which is what I thought.
I don't plan on immediately applying for a couple reasons, but would like to before the end of the year if I can.

Yes, you can apply immediately if you want to, as long as you meet all the requirements (residency over last 3 years, good character etc.).

The rules for when you can apply for citizenship are:

If you are married to a UK citizen:
- you can apply immediately after receiving ILR
- you only have to show the last 3 years of residency in the UK

If you are NOT married to a UK citizen:
- you must have held ILR for at least 12 months
- you must show 5 full years of residency in the UK

2. Once granted ILR, does that mean I no longer need to renew an application every few years to remain in the UK. I saw something about needing to get a new BRP card after 10 years. Of course, plan on applying for British Citizenship, but I know my wife will ask me about this. Pretty certain of this,. However,  can I tell her that at a minimal, I don't need to do anything for at least 10 years. Though once again, plan on applying for British Citizenship.

That's correct... usually, anyway. ILR is indefinite, but the BRP card has to be renewed every 10 years to update your biometric details and photo... same as with a UK driving licence.

However, the BRP card regulations are changing on 1st Jan 2025, which means that all ILR BRP cards are only being issued valid until 31st December 2024, so that the new type of BRP can be issued. This means that your ILR BRP will expire on 31/12/2024 instead of in 10 years, so if you have not applied for citizenship by then, you will need to renew it.

3. I was going to look this up, but might as well ask while here. Does this now mean I am eligible for benefits and possible voting in elections.

With ILR, you will be eligible for all UK benefits and 'free' use of the NHS (without paying the IHS surcharge).

However, you will NOT be eligible vote in UK elections until you have UK citizenship.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:26:45 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6
Re: Applying to remain in the UK
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »
Thanks Ksand24,
And thanks for all the help you have given me over the years as well. It's been greatly appreciated.
Hopefully will be a British Citizen before my BRP card needs to be renewed.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Sponsored Links