Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bacon Sandwiches  (Read 4086 times)

• My Myspace Page
  • Liked: 0
Bacon Sandwiches
« on: December 31, 2003, 08:11:48 PM »
This is a silly topic to start, but I was thinking about it. I don't get to England very often, but when I do I HAVE to have a bacon sandwich, it's my favorite thing in all the world. I ate one everyday on my last visit.

Oh...I wish I had one right now. :)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Bacon Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 08:45:34 PM »
Tell you what ... I'll send you some bacon sandwiches if you send me some Philly cheesesteaks.   ;D
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 10:38:39 PM »
Tell you what ... I'll send you some bacon sandwiches if you send me some Philly cheesesteaks.   ;D

Mmmm...philly cheesesteaks *drool* :P

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 01:08:23 AM »
Can you not make your own version here in the states?  Obviously won't be as good, but might help calm a serious craving :)

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 01:09:05 AM »
Now that I've read this, I'm really craving a sausage sandwich..  :-/ think I'll make one when I get in from work.  ;D

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 04:14:36 AM »
no...american bacon is nothing compared to English bacon. English Bacon is thick like ham...it's just not the same :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 04:18:53 AM by alzbabybird »

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 05:24:42 AM »
Forgive a benighted Englishman, but what actually is the difference between American and Brit bacon?  And how do the respective nationalities of baked beans actually differ? You good Yanks invented baked beans, I always thought! I would love to know. Howard.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 12:12:39 PM »
American bacon is a bit like streaky bacon, only very thin and fried up crispy in long strips.

English bacon is back bacon, an entirely different cut of meat.  It doesn't fry up crispy, it has a lot less fat in it, and is more roundish than American bacon.  It's also a lot thicker and more substantial altogether.  

As for beans, the ones you buy here in the UK are just beans in tomato sauce.  In the US, there are lots of different varieties, but they are generally always some variation on pork and beans.  Most have maple or brown sugar in them as well as chunks of bacon or pork for flavoring.  Bush's Best is the kind we always had.  Here's a link showing the varieties they have:

http://www.bushbeans.com/products/bakedbeans.jsp

Basically, American baked beans are made to be enjoyed with spicy BBQ, and English ones are made to go with a eggs, sausages and mushrooms for breakfast.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 01:05:04 AM »
Alz..... you should be able to find English Back Bacon in L.A. Whole Foods sells it and many UK shops.  It's sometimes imported from Ireland (which makes it Irish not English of course) or made here in the USA or Canada.  But it is good! DH loves the stuff and only eats streaky Bacon in a pinch.

Here is a website with some LA area food places.

http://www.ujnews.com/html/advertisers.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom..... Hope that helps a bit until you can get to the UK yourself!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 11:01:39 AM »
The closest thing to "English" baked beans I found whilst still in the U.S. was Heinz Vegetarian Beans.  No meat-type flavouring at all, so it was pretty much beans and tomato sauce.  Went well with the mock-full English breakfasts I did!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 01:29:43 PM »
Mmmmm... bacon sandwiches are good! I thought I'd hate them, but I was peasantly surprised! Has to be English bacon of course, and nice, THICK white english bread. *droooool*

There are some places in the US where you can buy English bacon. I know there was one place in Saline, Michigan - as it catered to local UK expats, but I had never seen it anywhere else. :/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 08:57:08 PM »
I've found that Danish bacon is probably the best for the *great british bacon sarnie* with extra thick *doorstop* slices of white bread with loads of brown HP sauce :) I can't help myself when I smell it sizzling away in the pan!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 10:52:07 PM »
Bacon sarnie on a well-fired roll.......just the thing to soak up the night befores libations 8)

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 06:59:41 PM »
**listens to the arteries clog up**

(you're making me hungry...)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 08:34:09 PM »
OMG! I forgot about this topic....I'm off to the UK in 7 weeks. BACON SANDWICHES...here I come, woohoo!!!  [smiley=wacky.gif]

Sponsored Links