Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?  (Read 1899 times)

Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?
« on: April 20, 2005, 07:19:40 PM »
My family and friends find it hysterical (and ironic) that I'm dating someone from England since I have a literal phobia of flying . . . the last time I visited him in January was the first time I had flown in over 10 years . . .

I managed to get some Lorazepam from my doctor to help with my nerves but I still just can't get comfortable while I'm up in the air . . .

My next trip is scheduled for mid-June and I'm already having nightmares about the flight  :(

• Liked: 0
Re: Anyone Else With a Fear of Flying?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:10:37 PM »
Sorry, can't really help you as I actually like to fly (not literally of course).   ;)  Maybe consider asking your boyfriend to come visit you in June.

bvamin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 09:10:39 PM »
I'm not afraid of flying, but I have no attention span and mild ADD (I have a hard time siting still during a movie), so sitting on a plane for hours and hours is hell for me. I usually just take dramamine right after I get on the plane and end up sleeping through 90% of the flight.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:40:20 PM by Angie »
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »
Gotta say I love to fly (take-offs and landings are the best!).  However, my best friend hates it.  She panicks for a couple of weeks before any flight, and has to take pills to chill her out.  Even that doesn't help.

So, I guess my best suggestion would be to concider a ship.  Depending on how much time you have, it may be the perfect solution. 

Once my mom gets a kidney transplant, they will look into a cruise to Europe.  Or, more likely, they will go the cheaper and longer option of a work-trade.  There are some cargo ships that will give you passage in exchage for work.  Many retired couples are going this route: he mops the deck, she sews torn clothing.  Or they will cook, do dishes, laundry...normally it's a trade for a couple hours work each day.  Oops...a bit of subject there, sorry!

There are certainly options for you, though.  Maybe phyco-therapy or hypnosis if you are so inclined to those things?

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:39:13 PM »
I LOVE to fly. It was originally my goal to get my pilots license before my 40th birthday but I can see that not gonna happen now!
Flying is the safest form of travel in the world.
Also its my belief that when its your time to go its your time to go. So why not enjoy!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:31:15 PM »
I love to fly...and drink. ;)  Drink and fly.  It's all good!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 10:32:49 PM »
  I managed to get some Lorazepam from my doctor to help with my nerves but I still just can't get comfortable while I'm up in the air . . .

A friend with a flying phobia takes Valium, feels no pain, & usually ends up sleeping all the way over.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:41 PM »
I'm petrified of flying.

It never bothered me until I had children, then had the transatlantic flight from H#ll.  Over eight solid hours of turbulance so bad that the overhead compartments were flying open and bags were falling out.  All the passengers were worried and even the flight attendants were seatbelted for much of the flight. 

When we landed at Birmingham, everybody on the plane burst into applause.

I've never been the same since.

It's giving me the willies just thinking about it.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Liked: 7
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »
Sorry, I grew up in a plane.
My dad was an airline pilot and I fel just at home in a plane, big or small, as I do in mu living room. ANy excuse to fly!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 11:07:26 PM »
I hate to fly.  Don't know if it's extreme enough to call a phobia, but it does make me extremely nervous.  In addition, I suffer from travel sickness.  But, as much as I hate to fly, I love to be in new/different places even more.  So for the moment I keep getting on airplanes....

(I'm waiting for the day when we can 'beam' ourselves anywhere we want to go, ala Star Trek!  Funny how I'm afraid to fly but the thought of disassembling all my molecules to be reassembled later doesn't bother me.... :-\\\\)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 01:20:40 AM »
I'm scared of two things. The toilets. I am so scared I'm going to get flushed. And the door opening mid flight. Just randomly opening. If I have to pee, I will not use one by the door. That would be doubly scary.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 02:40:08 AM »
I used to be terrified of flying-nightmares, panic attacks, the whole phobia routine. I did anything to avoid flying.  This went on for about 10 years; I flew twice a year during that time and had pre-flight nightmares and panic every time I flew. It was helpful to have enough xanax or Valium to knock me out. [smiley=sleeping2.gif] Oddly enough, what helped me ( and I NEVER would have believed anyone who said it would help) was to fly more. I guess I had to work through my fear and now I feel OK about it; I am going to New Orleans in May and I am just looking forward to it w/out any panic.  It helps to remember, as people mentioned here, flying is incredibly safe. Statistically, you have a much, much greater chance of getting killed in a car accident and most people aren't afraid of driving at all. One statistic that I found comforting is that the US went through a period where there were 13 million take offs and landings without a single fatality-that's pretty impressive. I wish you luck with working on your fear. :)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 08:43:52 AM »
Augie - that's actually one way that therapists use to help people get over their phobias - exposure to situations without having anything bad happen...the more you fly the more likely you are to have decent experiences. 

I know some people go through the Virgin Atlantic program for people who are scared to fly...and it helps.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 08:55:03 AM »
Also its my belief that when its your time to go its your time to go. So why not enjoy!

Enjoy the flight, but not the crash, right? ;)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 09:05:28 AM »
I love to fly...and drink. ;)  Drink and fly.  It's all good!

Oh, I definitely don't believe in drinking while flying! I mean, what if you spill?!?!  ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links