Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Prince William Won't be Wearing a Wedding Band  (Read 1803 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Prince William Won't be Wearing a Wedding Band
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
I always wear my wedding band but I take off my engagement ring at night since it could cut me  ;D
My Ex hated a ring and lost it on our honeymoon b/c it was always *too tight* and wham hit the ocean and it was gone.

DH has no problem wearing his but it is not a standard ring - it is tungsten metal and strong and has a design/color in the middle not crazy expensive.  He picked it out and wears it except for at work.  On an oil rig its dangerous to have jewelry on and I understand that philosophy since this ring DH says cant be cut off, his finger would have to be cut lol

I like knowing he has his ring on when we go out ect not that I think people will hit on him but its the special meaning behind the ring itself.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
My husband goes nowhere without his ring and gets compliments all the time about its unusual design.  I had to replace mine (I still have my original, but it's unwearable, really), and the new one is now too big.  Really, both of ours need resizing.

I don't wear mine in the house because it's so big, but I wear it out with a makeshift sizer on it.  I'd like to get my original fixed, but our jeweller in the States said that it would only break again.

It never occurred to me that Mr A wouldn't want to wear a ring.  In fact, he's more adamant about it than I am.  I think it's a nice tradition for both to wear the ring, even if it's just when they aren't at work.  To each his own, but if I was just expected to wear one and my husband got upset that I didn't, I'd find it a bit on the sexist/"you are owned" side.  A more laid back attitude towards it wouldn't upset me though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:22:27 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
I'm not a jewelry person either.  If I wear any jewelry, I end up taking it off half way through the day and likely leave it somewhere.  I already told BF that if we were to ever get married, I'd probably lose the ring, so if he desperately feels I should have one, not to spend too much money on it.  :P 

He wears one ring all the time though, so I think he'd probably wear a wedding band if we were married.  I wouldn't care if he didn't though.  We live together, and there's no ring now, so I can't imagine my feelings would change once a marriage certificate entered the equation.

And I agree that it doesn't really matter in regards to Prince William, since the whole world knows who he is and will know that he's married.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
I would go nuts if my hubby left the house without his ring... To me it's a physical symbol that he has committed to me. Seems silly I know, but I never leave the house without mine, so if he didn't want to wear one it would really bug me. 

We are trying to find him a new one though, he seems to be having an allergic reaction to his ring. It's Tungsten and he's getting a rash under it. I thought Tungsten was hypoallergenic but I guess not. Anyone know of a better metal we could try?

It's either that or he's just allergic to marriage.  ::) In which case he will just have to suck it up!!!  ;D   
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

• Liked: 31
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
I thought it was interesting that most men of 'that social strata' don't wear wedding rings, or if they do it is on the pinky with their signet ring, and that it's only become more common since WWII. Makes sense, as most men would have been doing heavy manual labour and a ring would get in the way. DF tried on some rings at a wedding fair shortly after we got engaged and immediately decided that he definitely wanted one. It made me happy :)
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
I used to be really adamant about the wedding ring because for some reason it was like...if he wasn't wearing his ring, he didn't want to be married to me.   ???  I don't know why I ever thought like that but I used to be psycho about it.

Now it's really no big deal to me.  After 9 months of swollen fingers and not being able to wear my ring at all, I guess I realized that it's really not that important.  It's not as if your commitment ends because you take the ring off...it's not as if it will prevent someone from cheating on you or keep other people away (in fact some sick people find that more attractive than single dudes).

Yeah I know it's a symbol of your love but taking it off doesn't mean you don't love the person anymore.  My (separated from) DH still wears his ring for whatever reason and he never took his off but I wouldn't have minded if he did.

I like wearing rings and have since I was young.  Sometimes I would wear another ring on my finger that wasn't my wedding set (especially if I was wearing yellow gold since my set is white gold).  I loved my anniversary band and this is what I wore on a regular basis instead of my wedding set...but to be honest, that was just because it was my favorite ring (and I will continue to wear it in the future).

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
My dh was really upset when I took my ring off when I was still getting used to it.  He would never go anywhere without his and won't even take it off.  It seems to be a big deal for him, but I'm not as bothered.  When my mom was a teacher, a kid stole hers when she took it off and my dad never wore his either.  I always thought I'd be upset if my dh didn't wear one before I got married.  Now I'm more along the lines of, well we know we are married, we care about each other and wearing a ring or not won't change what we are to each other.  However, it's super important to dh that we wear them so I roll with it. 

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
I take mine off when showering or baking.  Both are too big but I wear a sizer to keep them on.  They are the only jewelry I wear most of the time.  I can understand people in certain professions not wearing one at work if it's dangerous though. 

You really do get used to wearing them after a bit.  When I separated from my ex my finger felt too light so I went and bought two costume rings that I wore for about a year. 
Maroon Passport Club!

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
neither one of us wear a wedding ring......i have rings that i wear all the time and really didnt want to stop wearing them........we exchanged egyptian cartouche necklaces at our wedding......suits us both so much better

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
I'm not a jewelry person either.  I like to buy it, but I don't tend to wear it.  I haven't worn a ring on a regular basis since a mood ring in middle school.  But I wouldn't take off my engagement ring for anything.  At first I did find it a  bit odd to wear it all the time and I did take it off to shower or do the dishes, but just stopped eventually. 

DF doesn't wear any jewelry, unless you count a raggedy piece of string a monk tied on him in Thailand.  I think that's why it took him some time to get used to the idea. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
I was fine wearing a wedding ring and I'm not one for wearing jewellery (apart from the ring all I wear is a watch), but it's not really jewellery, it's a symbol. It took some getting used to but I'm completely fine with it now and the only time I take it off is when I'm washing up or doing work in the garden or on the car.
When we got engaged I bought DW a ring the day before she went back to the States, they didn't have the right size in store but said it could easily be resized so she said that she'd have that done in the States.....I wanted her to take the ring back in the box but she wanted to wear it so got the store to put tape around one side so it wouldn't slip off her finger on the plane!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
I would go nuts if my hubby left the house without his ring... To me it's a physical symbol that he has committed to me. Seems silly I know, but I never leave the house without mine, so if he didn't want to wear one it would really bug me. 

We are trying to find him a new one though, he seems to be having an allergic reaction to his ring. It's Tungsten and he's getting a rash under it. I thought Tungsten was hypoallergenic but I guess not. Anyone know of a better metal we could try?

It's either that or he's just allergic to marriage.  ::) In which case he will just have to suck it up!!!  ;D   

I'm super allergic to metal as well. I can't even have metal frames because I'll have an itchy, scab forming rash where the metal touches my skin. Made for good times during my teenage years. :-[ Silver is the only thing I can wear at all, so both of our wedding rings and my engagement ring are silver. Mine's inscribed with the quote on my signature, which is why I'm procrastinating on getting them sized. My heart would be broken if my rings were  destroyed in anyway, and I know DH feels the same.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
and he doesn't want it to be tainted.

LOL! Sorry, but that sounds funny! How would it get tainted??
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
LOL! Sorry, but that sounds funny! How would it get tainted??

:D I know, I thought the same thing! Like, he doesn't want them to see it, because he doesn't want to talk to them much about our lives. That's how much he abhors them. And he doesn't want the ring to even enter the building, because it would almost be like taking me to that place, and he doesn't want to do that. I know, it's complicated, wierd and sweet all at the same time. He keeps the ring in its box, on our dressing table.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
I'm not a jewelry person either - especially necklaces I can't deal with - gah!  It's like I feel it's either choking me or making my skin crawl.  I had my ears pierced when I was 14 & used to wear earrings a lot, then just stopped & eventually the holes closed up - I wouldn't mind getting my ears pierced again though.  One in awhile, I'll wear a bracelet, but not often.

I do like rings though!  But whenever I'm at home, I take them all off - even my wedding band & my engagement ring - because I don't want to damage them in doing work around the house.  I lost some stones from a ring once that way & promised myself I would never let it happen again.  The result of this is that since I am home a good part of the time - I'm hardly ever wearing my wedding & engagement ring, but DH wears his (just a plain gold band in his case) all the time & he only sometimes takes it off when he is doing the washing up.  Also sometimes if my fingers are swollen a bit (water retention), I take my rings off because they start feeling uncomfortable.

It's funny because people sometimes comment (including my MIL  ::)) when I'm not wearing my rings.  And it's not because I don't like them that I am not wearing them, but because I like them so much - I don't wear them in order to protect them.  I know I'm weird probably.  I sometimes don't wear it when hiking, or just running down the street to the grocery store or something - but if I'm out for the day, at work, etc then I wear it.  It's complicated.  :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab