Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 107748 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« on: June 17, 2002, 05:40:47 PM »
**This list is part of a series of lists that are intended to be a reference point for Americans looking to or preparing to move to the UK. Please add your comments and items to this list, however small you think they might be, because these will hopefully prove to be a very valuable reference point for newbies and others in our situation. Thanks. **

So start submitting: Thing you wish you had brought with you to the UK

**Please note that this topic will be occasionally modified, and off-topic entries will be deleted. In order to keep it more of a LIST, discussions will be removed (if not now, then later when I have time) - or put into a new topic. New topics that I've plucked out of the LIST topics will have a note in their new title indicating that they were a split from another topic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 02:29:35 AM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 24
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 06:33:05 PM »
My electric pancake griddle, the big flat ones that can do 8 pieces of french toast at once, they don't sell them here, and I don't want to order one from a resource because I have one, it's just in U.S. storage.  :P  ;)

I'm sure I'll think of more, that's just my number one wish.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 07:13:05 PM »
On that note, when I first got here I couldn't find a flat griddle without bumps in it.  I had to bring one back with me last time I was home.  I did find one eventually, but it was 3x what I paid for it in the states.  

If you are lactose intolerant they DO NOT sell Lactaid pills over here.  Set up a supplier in the states (mine is my mother) or buy massive quantities while you are home.

Measuring cups and spoons are a must!  I'd be lost with out them.  

Well that is what comes to the top of my mind at the moment.  I'm sure I'll think of more.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 08:54:42 PM »
Definitely, measuring cups and spoons.  And cookbooks.  

Hairbrush with actual bristles.  

Campho Phenique.

I'm sure there will be other things as they occur to me.

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 10:02:04 PM »
** Soap-holding dish scrubber thingies.. i don't know what you call them (they are like a sponge at the end of a hollow soap-holding handle), but the ones they sell here are worthless.. they leak all over the place.

** warm clothes.  i thought since i was coming here toward the end of spring, i didn't need to bring a lot of warm clothes.  i was completely wrong.  bring a warm coat, sweatshirts, sweaters... (i feel funny saying this today, since i am currently melting in a pile of sweat.. it's pretty hot today)

** skittles .. or whatever your favorite candy is.. in case the british counterpart crushes your soul.

** i brought nearly my entire sock and underwear and PJ collection.  unneccessary.  i should have brought more of my favorite videos and cd's & things that i can't just buy at the corner store for #3.  (videos.. assuming you'll have a VCR in britain that can play US videos)
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 10:05:57 PM »
Decorations!  Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Halloween (ok,you can get stuff now, but 13 years ago there was nothing!) It's expensive here and you really have to trawl around for American stuff.   Also wish I had a flag pole.  I've got a flag but  can't get my hands on a pole and it's on my list for the next time I go home.  

I always bring back-Sudafed(the American one is more effecitive and cheaper), fun plasters for the kids, aloe vera gel-just starting to appear in shops but it's expensive.  imitation vanilla extract-in the big plastic bottle. (the tiny bottles here last me about a fortnight).  

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 08:41:32 PM »
I wish I brought.......

Another one of my revlon curiling irons
Measureing cups and spoons
Decorations
more of my books
Lots of the makup I used back in CA since its not avaliable here
Bath and Bodyworkds products
A pancake grill

If it would have been possible I would have brought the California sunshine  [smiley=sunny.gif]

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 09:03:43 PM »
9- inch pie tins!!!!
bundt/tube cake tin.
muffin tin
jello mold
« Last Edit: June 18, 2002, 09:17:43 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 09:10:57 PM »
9- inch pie tins!!!!
bundt/tube cake tin.
muffin tin

Totally agree.  I brought over a muffin tin and my 9x13 cake pan!
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2002, 02:55:24 PM »
Greeting cards that don't exist here:
- Halloween
- 4th of July
- Thanksgiving
- Graduation
and a reminder to buy Mother's Day cards in March/April

Rubbermaid or Tupperware food storage and closet organizer products

A supply of Chinette paper plates, and/or some plastic plates; good plastic utensils (they are here, but too flimsy to properly use)

(more will come to me...)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2002, 02:41:35 AM »
Just rembered a couple more, child related.

In the winter time when my kids had nasty colds, I was wishing I had my mist vaporizer, I looked and looked for one, no luck.

The other thing, which I picked up on a visit back home once, was a bulb syringe, for suctioning/clearing babies noses. Also another rarity here, I asked for one and got some weird looks at the chemist.  ::)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2002, 12:12:53 AM »
i miss my fry-daddy....i refuse to buy the fry cooker here (looks like a bread machine), its large and bulky...WHY, hehe

no need to repeat on the other items...i agree with everything everyone else said.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• what you talkin bout lewis?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2002, 04:02:11 AM »
your fav cake mix and frostings

personal feminine hygene products...they dont have very many american brands here...and if they do...they can be expensive
« Last Edit: June 22, 2002, 04:03:10 AM by Tamara_Thomas »
wann sum chocky chippy cookie dough?

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2002, 03:04:15 PM »
I wish I'd brought more photos of people.  I miss having my albums to look through.  

Pancake/flat griddle...absolutely, as well as my cast iron skillets, which for obvious reasons were inherited by my mother.  (Dang those things are heavy!)

My kitty cat, who seems to have run away to try and find me....sniff, sniff....

More of my nick-nacks and wall pictures.  Would have been nice at first to have a few things around to make my house mine.  They were just too delicate and bulky to bring, and we were living in a closet (well nearly) so I left them behind fully intending to ship or collect them later, but never got around to doing.

• Cupboard space...I need more cupbard space!
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2002, 03:29:15 PM »
Ziplock bags and decent aluminium foil. That's aluMINeeum, by the by.
Karen

Sponsored Links