Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My first Trip to LA  (Read 2430 times)

• BagThatRing
  • Liked: 0
My first Trip to LA
« on: February 04, 2005, 12:40:17 AM »
Hi am going on vacation for the first time to LA with my girlfriends.

i was wondering if anyone can give me tips on good hotels to stay in that does not cost the earth and fun places to hang out and eat and chill and shop

I'm a stranger in LA ;D

Re: My first Trip to LA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 01:56:02 AM »
Wow... that's a loaded question!  I honestly don't know a lot about hotel prices, as I grew up there and anyone visiting me always stayed with me.  However, I can help with things to do.

Shopping-wise, Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is great.  They took about four blocks of Third St. and turned it into an outdoor shopping area.  Lots of fun shops and places to eat.  The people watching is fab, too.  I've spotted many celebs there.  As far as indoor malls, there are tons of them around.  Century City and The Beverly Center are probably two of the best.  If you like museums, the one you cannot miss is the Getty Center in Brentwood.  It's free (always a plus) and has fantastic views of West LA and the ocean.  West Hollywood has a lot of fun shops and sidewalk cafes.  The Grove is a newer shopping center in the Fairfax district with lots of trendy shops.

The only thing I'd caution you on is transportation - if you don't want to spend all your time within a small radius of your hotel, you will need a car.  Public transportation is notoriously bad in LA.  You cannot hail a cab anywhere except the airport or a hotel.  Buses can get you pretty much anywhere, but unless you know the routes well it can get ugly.  Metrolink (the light rail system) only goes as far west as Hollywood.

I don't know if any of that was helpful, but thought I'd throw out some ideas. 

• BagThatRing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:51:40 PM »
Fungirl thanks for the info especially the shopping.................  :( we are not renting a car unfortunately as the thought of driving in the States scares us  so we have to figure something out............... Do you still Live in LA and where would you recommend to eat and not to go to

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »
Just be aware - "Nobody walks in LA...."  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• BagThatRing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 01:05:59 PM »
So peedal am taking everyone has a car :\\\'( we are sol then.............. Any advice that does not require us driving ourselves ???

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:14:46 PM »
Hey, you'll have to ask someone who lives/lived there.  I personally come from the Sunshine State of Florida where walking isn't entirely suggested, either... :P

I was just quoting the Missing Persons song.   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• BagThatRing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:18:18 PM »
I guess i have too............. oh my the way i love the sunshine state spend a lot of time in Orlando

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »
Sooo... I will say ditto to most of the above....

Transport sucks, but it's not impossible.  There's a semblance of a metro, and there is a bus system that can be taken, though you'll run into some very interesting characters... it's just not common for the uh, members above a certain level to use public transport.  There are cabs, but I never saw anyone hailing one; mostly they're booked in advance, but I don't see why you couldn't get one off the street.  I would ask the concierge/ front desk for specifics when you arrive.

Why are you going?  Not to say don't go, but it will help me clarify recommendations for you.

If you're going to 'see Hollywood' - then I would definitely take a tour (loads to choose from); but don't spend much time seeking out or on Hollywood Blvd. itself, unless you're going to see a movie at the Chinese, or across the street at the El Capitan... both GORGEOUS theatres.  In addition to the shopping listed above (I'm partial to the Grove, LOVE IT), there's also some good shopping and interesting architecture at Hollywood & Highland, http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/home.html, which is the home of the Kodak Theatre (where the Oscars are held).

Eateries:  loads, Jerry's Deli is a trendy favourite, good food, lots of it, yet still way overpriced.  But a fun atmosphere.  You want true deli food with character for cheap?  Go to www.cantersdeli.com, a true Hollywood staple; the waitresses are all about 70 yrs. old and sassy!  If you're missing the English pubs, Cat & Fiddle on Sunset is really really good; one of my top favourites.  And they have a jazz band on Sunday afternoons in the patio.
Old classic Hollywood:  Musso Frank's, the oldest restaurant, on Hollywood Blvd.
Formosa Cafe on Santa Monica Blvd. near La Brea is good ol' Hollywood too; mostly Chinese food, has a good bar, and an, interesting atmosphere (it's an old rail car), usually full of unemployed actors drinking and b*tching :)
If you go along La Cienega Blvd., southward from Santa Monica Blvd. to Wilshire, there are loads of different types of eateries.
Kate Mantalini's, on Beverly Blvd. is very good; a bit expensive, you can usually spot a star there.

I know a few places I've recommended are on or near Hollywood Blvd., I just always am wary when people say, 'I want to go see Hollywood...'

Hollywood's a state o'mind, baby!  Hollywood Blvd. is getting better, but it's also full of homeless people, runaway teenagers and drug addicts, scattered along the Walk of Fame.  An interesting dichotomy, but not one to make a special destination.

I'll leave it there for now; I did find a website that covers loads:  www.losangeles.com - check that out, then feel free to ask more questions.  DEFINITELY get some sort of guidebook ahead of time.

And if you list out specific places/ restaurants, etc. you've found, it's easier for me to go down the list and say yea, nay, or don't know; as I'm sure I've forgotten some great things/ things to stay away from.

E.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
My mom and I walked to Venice Beach from our hotel in Marina Del Ray (About 5 minutes if that)  Everyone looked at us as if we were mad!!!!!

• BagThatRing
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 03:10:03 PM »
As long as they are sidewalks i would walk.................. and am used to people looking at me that way  ;) But it will be fun to find a native willing to be our tour guide ::) :o

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 03:13:37 PM »
As long as they are sidewalks i would walk.................. and am used to people looking at me that way ;) But it will be fun to find a native willing to be our tour guide ::) :o

that is what my mom and I said.  We are NYers we walk, it's what we do!

I'd say my friends Eddy and Shay could be your guides (They love showing people around, they were the ones who introduced me to Bubble tea) but they just had a baby.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
Most of the places I like in LA have been mentioned already. I would also just put in a word for The Stinking Rose as a great place to eat (but only if you like garlic): http://www.thestinkingrose.com/

Another thing I really enjoyed in LA was visiting the shops in Burbank that sell the clothes worn in TV shows and movies. I have a sarong that somebody wore in Melrose Place!  Sadly most of the clothes in my size in these shops were cardis worn by Sally Jessey and Ricki Lake :(  But is is fun to rummage and see what you can find.

• BagThatRing
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 03:24:08 PM »
Thanks Britwife, am going to compile all the info when i get home and print it out so i don't forget to take it with me................. any more shopping treasures will be greatly appreciated ;) :D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »
Oh and on the buses in LA .... I did catch some, but with my hubby who knew what he was doing .. and even that was terrifying. The bus drivers are all like ex boot camp (or at least that's how they act!) and half the passengers are high as kites or otherwise loopy. I would get taxis. Or even walk. I did quite bit of walking in LA once (all the way from Hollywood Blvd down to Melrose, all along Melrose and back all the way to Hollywood Blvd.). Got quite a few weird looks but nothing untoward happened.

• BagThatRing
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 03:32:49 PM »
OKcolor=Blue]okay cool so its not as bad as i feared so my trip should be a blast .................. and i need the exercise to shift the stubborn Christmas weight  ;) :D[/color][/i]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab