Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 105487 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2008, 08:20:40 AM »
I wear the same summer clothes I wore in the US here. No difference. But, even for those people relocating to a colder part of the UK, I'd recommend bringing shorts, cotton skirts, etc. I mean, won't you have holidays to warmer places?? What will you do then? Buy a whole new wardrobe??
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:53:12 AM by chary »
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
What will you do then? But a whole new wardrobe??

YES!  ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Englishmann
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2009, 02:05:47 AM »
I figure you should bring your very favorite summer clothes but don't bring a whole lot of repeats.  I'm in Austin now and we were in Staffs, peak district, and cornwall this June.  I didn't find occasion to wear much of my summer wear that I packed - although I think I could have were I more acclimated.  :)
11/99 - Moved to UK on Work Visa
07/00 - Married UKC
02/01 - Moved to Texas
04/10 - Received Spouse Visa - ILE
06/10 - Moved to England

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »
I didn't read the first 6 pages of this thread, since most of the early entries seem to not be applicable anymore, but most of the recent entries seem to all be about food, the weather, or clothing. 

I think I have the wardrobe stuff down. I left behind about three drawer fulls and half a wardrobe of clothing in April, and when I just went over in September I packed an extra suitcase with some of my summer clothing (capri pants and tank tops) to leave behind (since pre-engagement our plans were for me to spend 6 months visiting Summer 2010). So the only clothing I have still in PA is formal wear, my interview suit, and maybe 10  days worth of everyday clothing.  As far as underwear is concerned, I'm going to pack enough for about a week and then just buy undies there unless it's something special (like lingerie).  I'm not too picky about undies, so I figure I can pick up inexpensive packs in Tesco, Asda or Primark.  I think I can probably fit all the clothing I'll want into one suitcase.

Shoes...please help.  I own several pairs of crocs.  I'm assuming given the tendency for rain, I should leave behind the crocs with holes and only keep the pair I bought specifically for rain/mud wear?  Last Winter I was in the UK with only my brown Mary Jane DMs, my DM sneakers, a pair of heels, and a pair of ballet flats.  In my closet here, I have another pair of Mary Jane's, DM boots, ankle boots, brown hiking boots, several more pairs of flats, heels, etc. etc.  Since we're hoping to move me in January, I won't know if I really will wear them this Winter or not.  For the Summer, I mostly wear either ballet flats or flip flops, both of which are pretty inexpensive in the UK (and I buy new pairs each year anyway since I wear them out, so buying £2 pair from Primark isn't a big deal).  How did you decide what shoes to take?  I already cut back on a lot of pairs when I did a big Spring Cleaning, but I still know I have a lot more than I should take. Plus, shoes are one of those things that are readily available and just as inexpensive as they are in the US. 

But one of the areas where I really *really* need some assistance....kitchenware.  My old apartment stuff is all still packed in boxes from when I moved back in with Mom. I've been trying to go through them, but I keep feeling like I'm keeping too much.  Will I really need a large serving platter if I never used it in my apartment? Even trying to keep it down to "sentimental" kitchen items and I still have 2 boxes because most of the stuff I had in my apartment came from my nanny's house.  Are there items, even in the sentimental category that I should consider ditching?  What about my (real) silver?  I have a complete set that used to belong to my Dad's parents.  I'd love to bring it, but the case is super heavy.  Is there a better way of transporting it? My mom suggested buying cheap tube socks at Wal-Mart and putting a few per sock (I have service for 12). Will I find a tarnish-proof case to store them in in the UK or am I stuck with this super heavy one?

The other area I need help with is my craft supplies.  Someone please tell me how pointless it would be to move an entire crate full of fabric, beads, and yarn?  My scrapbooking stuff will be coming with me - I have a lot of expensive tools and in this case I think replacing them would be more expensive than the shipping, but the rest of my supplies?  Help. 

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
Becca, it's hard to say, really. I mean, you just have to really consider what things are most important to you. If you would feel really upset later to remember that you ditched your set of silver, then I would find a way to bring it. There isn't a way to replace family heirlooms and sentimental things. See if your mom can keep a few things for you and then you can bring them later on a subsequent visit. Like, I kept my dad's guitar, even though I don't know how to play. I left it at my mom's and I am bringing it back with me after Thanksgiving. Sure, I might not ever learn to play, but the thought of getting rid of it broke my heart, so I just couldn't do it.
For regular kitchen stuff, I would bring measuring cups and spoons, cookbooks, and some bakeware (if you cook a lot of American recipes) such as pie tins, muffin pans, cake tins, etc. They do have those items here, but they tend to be different sizes to the American ones, which makes it a bit harder to adjust recipes sometimes.
For shoes, I'd say bring one pair of the holey crocs with you - they make excellent beach shoes if you decide to go plodging in the summer! Plus, I have seen some people wear them here, though usually with socks! :) Anyway, just keep in mind that you will probably get some new shoes once you have been here for a bit, so you won't need to bring them all - just your favourites.
For crafts stuff, I dunno. I have to say that out here where I live, you would be hard pressed to find any of that stuff and would most likely have to order online. However, that really depends on where you are moving. Does Tim know if there is a crafts store nearby? If so, then I wouldn't bother. If not, then I might consider it if you really like doing that sort of thing. At least you could maybe get your mom to keep it, then she could send it to you if you need it, or you could bring it back with you when you visit her or something.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
One word of warning, Becca Jane, with regard to your family heirloom silver:  I brought a lot of heirloom stuff and unfortunately we were burglarized several times so a lot of things I really cared about are now gone.  >:(  As a result, my silver is now hidden in such an inaccessible place I'll probably never be able to get to it!  I don't know where you'll be living but where we are the property crime rate was pretty high.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
I brought silver. I wear Crocs.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
Becca, it's hard to say, really. I mean, you just have to really consider what things are most important to you. If you would feel really upset later to remember that you ditched your set of silver, then I would find a way to bring it.

I think it's one of those things where down the road I'll be sad I don't have them.  I found out recently that I am quite literally the last person on my dad's side. No cousins or anything.  So keeping the things from his family suddenly seems more important.

See if your mom can keep a few things for you and then you can bring them later on a subsequent visit. Like, I kept my dad's guitar, even though I don't know how to play. I left it at my mom's and I am bringing it back with me after Thanksgiving. Sure, I might not ever learn to play, but the thought of getting rid of it broke my heart, so I just couldn't do it.

I'm sure she would hang onto some boxes, as long as it all fit into my (soon to be former!) bedroom closet

For regular kitchen stuff, I would bring measuring cups and spoons, cookbooks, and some bakeware (if you cook a lot of American recipes) such as pie tins, muffin pans, cake tins, etc.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm a big fan of the big red Betty Crocker cookbook and spent most of last winter converting anything I wanted to make! Drove me mad!  I've only been able to find 2 kinds of muffin tins in the UK - either they are really flat and look more like muffin tops, or they're monster muffin size, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

For shoes, I'd say bring one pair of the holey crocs with you - they make excellent beach shoes if you decide to go plodging in the summer! Plus, I have seen some people wear them here, though usually with socks! :) Anyway, just keep in mind that you will probably get some new shoes once you have been here for a bit, so you won't need to bring them all - just your favourites.

*nods*  That's what I was figuring, too.  It's not like I'll never go shopping!  I think I'll try to stick to only packing my "name brand" shoes - doc marten, Kenneth Cole, etc. and leave behind the wal-mart specials!

For crafts stuff, I dunno. I have to say that out here where I live, you would be hard pressed to find any of that stuff and would most likely have to order online. However, that really depends on where you are moving. Does Tim know if there is a crafts store nearby? If so, then I wouldn't bother.

There is a bead store (albeit it's a little pricey) right in Lincoln as well as a scrapbooking store. Tim's mum sews and knits, so I'm sure she would know where to go.  It's just so hard to get rid of stuff you've been collecting for 20 years, know what I mean?

And this doesn't even touch on books! LOL

One word of warning, Becca Jane, with regard to your family heirloom silver:  I brought a lot of heirloom stuff and unfortunately we were burglarized several times so a lot of things I really cared about are now gone.  >:(  As a result, my silver is now hidden in such an inaccessible place I'll probably never be able to get to it!  I don't know where you'll be living but where we are the property crime rate was pretty high.

OH no!!  We'll be in Dunholme, a small village north of Lincoln.  Tim did have one incident several years back with teenagers who tried to steal his motorcycle (he has a Triumph), but they gave up at the end of the driveway because it was too heavy.  Tim now keeps the bikes locked up in a shed and hasn't had any other incidents.  His parents live around the corner and they haven't had any problems.  It's probably a lot safer than where my mom lives!

I brought silver. I wear Crocs.

Do your feet get cold in the holy crocs? I'm afraid I'll bring them, then never wear them because I constantly suffer from chilly toes!

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Snaps
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »
Do your feet get cold in the holy crocs? I'm afraid I'll bring them, then never wear them because I constantly suffer from chilly toes!

No, but maybe I don't get as cold as you do. I'm wearing sandals now and I'm fine. I don't wear 'closed-in' shoes from about May onwards, sometimes earlier if the weather is good. But I've also only lived in the southwest (Pembrokeshire and Cornwall) where it's possiby slightly warmer.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »
I live in the frigid north and wore flip flops most of the summer.  :)

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »
Definitely bring American measuring cups/spoons/dishes.  They come in very handy when using American recipes!  Also, deep dish pie tins are impossible to find here! :p
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

I wear socks with Crocs when it's cold.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
Definitely muffin pans and measuring stuff.
I stocked up on sheets and towels because back in the olden days the American ones were nicer (and cheaper) but I suspect the UK versions have improved a lot since then.  A lot of people were using nylon sheets (yuk) because they dried faster.  I think I would still bring flannel sheets because I never found anything like that in the UK.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I like my Crocs with holes.  I use them for padding around in the gsrden, it does it get sort of warm.

They are also helpful when someone might forget to switch the hoses and flood out the lean-to when she starts the washing machine.  The holes let them drain.  Not that I would know anything about that.   ;)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
I like my Crocs with holes.  I use them for padding around in the gsrden, it does it get sort of warm.

They are also helpful when someone might forget to switch the hoses and flood out the lean-to when she starts the washing machine.  The holes let them drain.  Not that I would know anything about that.   ;)

*snort* Yeah, I think I might keep them. Tim wants to dig a pond in the garden, so I'll need something to wear while I assist!

I think I would still bring flannel sheets because I never found anything like that in the UK.

I don't think I'll need flannel sheets. Tim's my own personal bed furnace!!

Sponsored Links