Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Favorite Airports?  (Read 2019 times)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Favorite Airports?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 08:33:46 PM »
Personally i love Cinncinati and loathe Atlanta.  DFW is pretty horrible too...but I haven't had to go to that one in a long time.

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 08:55:26 PM »
Forgot to mention Honolulu.  Didn't spend much time at the airport, but they seemed really efficient, even though we had to go through an additional 'Dept of Agriculture' line as well as the usual security line.  Did a fair bit of walking - could have waited for a shuttle but didn't - but a lot of the walkways were open to the outside air.  Pretty nice.  And nice view as we were taking off and landing!  They were doing some renovation in the terminal we were at, so limited restrooms were available.  Really my only complaint.
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 10:13:02 PM »
Charles de Gaulle - Paris. 

Gatwick - fantastic shopping!

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 10:52:56 PM »
The toilets in Manchester Airport are disgusting.
Really--I haven't found that so, but have only used the ones that are past immigration & they've been fine.
We used Cinncinnati recently to travel to San Francisco and it was great! I wouldn't mind using it to fly to LGW sometime.
Another on my hate list is JFK  :P
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »
Im probably the only one here that loves Chicago O'hare :)  But I grew up flying in and out of that airport. I love it!

The worst airport I have ever been to was Kim'po in Seoul S. Korea. YUCK! Smells exactly like mold!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »
Humm, I would like to check out the Honolulu airport to see for myself ;)  LOL

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 09:35:08 PM »
Im probably the only one here that loves Chicago O'hare :)  But I grew up flying in and out of that airport. I love it!

The worst airport I have ever been to was Kim'po in Seoul S. Korea. YUCK! Smells exactly like mold!

O'Hare wasnt a bad airport in itself, but the airport staff i encountered were the rudest and most unhelpful folk ever.  :(

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 09:48:01 PM »
My favorite would be Edinburgh Turnhouse, because it is small and VERY easy to navigate.  Second would have to be SeaTac (Seattle) because, though a larger facility, they still have a small feel about them.  With their new wing, it is easier than ever!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »
Forgot to mention Honolulu. Didn't spend much time at the airport, but they seemed really efficient, even though we had to go through an additional 'Dept of Agriculture' line as well as the usual security line. Did a fair bit of walking - could have waited for a shuttle but didn't - but a lot of the walkways were open to the outside air. Pretty nice. And nice view as we were taking off and landing! They were doing some renovation in the terminal we were at, so limited restrooms were available. Really my only complaint.

It's practically all outside. There are points where you could just hop over a very short (waist high) concrete wall and walk right on the runways. Not a lot insofar as shops and sights but the fact that it's outside is really really nice.

I looove Schipol. I make sure we spend at least a good 30 minutes checking out the shops before we leave. Barcelona was okay but the queues were unfreakingbelievable. Felt like we were there for ages.

And I really like Manchester. It's well easy to navigate through, it's nice and clean and when we were there in February, it was practically empty (but that was at 8am on a Wednesday). I also like that they have garbage cans. You can even see through them.

And I have to say, I like Leeds/Bradford International. It's small, it has absolutely nothing there but I never have to wait in a queue at passport control (or indeed anywhere, service is good) and it's only 20 minutes from home and they're so small they don't even have those bridges from the plane to the airport. You actually have to walk out of the plane on stairs and walk next to the runway to get into the airport. I love it because it makes me think of old 50 and 60 movies where they had all those chic stewardesses and stuff.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 10:38:31 PM »
My favorite would be Edinburgh Turnhouse, because it is small and VERY easy to navigate. 
Yea, I like Edinburgh as well....especially coming.  I step off the plane and feel like I've come home.  After immigration and customs, there's always a friendly face waiting for me, a family member that I probably haven't seen in a year or more.....sigh.....roll on 27th April!!!
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »
Schipol is fun, I really need to bring an ice bag with me next time.

Orlando is like a little Disneyworld, but I don't like having to check my bags twice.

Atlanta is terribly confusing and not good for connecting flights.

My favourite is Dulles because it's never busy, but I do wish they'd finish construction...I've never known it to be without something not in use because of it.

I'll always have a soft spot for Gatwick because of my earlier travels to and from the UK, but now we use Heathrow almost exclusively when using a London airport, maybe 6-8 times a year...and it's, well, it's very familiar.

My only gripe about Bristol Airport is that it's so darn incovenient to get to! If not for that, I'd love to fly in and out of it. (They're getting a NYC service this year.)

Miami Airport...I prefer Ft. Lauderdale Airport over this one. Just too long and spread out. Each time it looks dirtier and dirtier.

Las Vegas...how fun is that! Showgirls greet passengers and there're slot machines everywhere, a real hoot.

Venice...once we sussed it, it wasn't too bad. I just recall a really long wait and a huge open area with one small coffee shop off in a corner.

Johanesburg...I LOVED all the shops! Fantastic place to pick up everything you might have forgotten to get. Go see the country...then get all your souvenirs at the airport without having to lug them around until just before you leave. LOL.

Los Angeles...it has sushi and Mrs. Sees ;D

JFK...another one with a lot of construction; reminds me a lot of Heathrow with all the different terminals

Cincinnati...isn't that the one with the really dramatic approach? That was way cool!

Vancouver...HATED the very very long passport control queue. They really need to fix that.

Isle of Man...gads, the list continues; now my head's turning to mush...
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »
Schipol is fun, I really need to bring an ice bag with me next time.

Mmmmm... the cumin cheese!

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 09:43:34 PM »
Singapore airport is by far THE BEST !!.. when you wait for your flight they have computers everywhere where you can sit down and get this, the internet access is FREE... Absolutely Positively, you don't have to pay £5 an hour to use it. That's alright. and Clean Clean Clean not a drop of trash anywhere, nicest I ever been.

Someone mentioned Honolulu, It's a sh*t airport and they are really disorganised I been to Hawaii five times and Honolulu is the one airport I found awful but the Waikiki is sh*t anyway, just as crowded as it is here so theres not point bothering.  Fiji airport is quite nice, but then I was more amused with the topless Fijian dancers and Fijian men in skirts on arrival at the terminal.   ::)

I've been to alot of airports but Singapore will always top my list.

As for Manchester Airport   :-X I think that If I bathed in excrament I would have been cleaner. My sister came to visit me here and we went to Barcelona via Manchester. We wouldn't even let my neice and nephew eat at the Burger King it was so filthy. Not to mention the fact that my neice and nephew got a mild case of foot and mouth when the got back to the states.  >:(

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 10:03:31 PM »

Miami Airport...I prefer Ft. Lauderdale Airport over this one. Just too long and spread out. Each time it looks dirtier and dirtier.

Yes, MIA is awful!  And they've expanded it recently so it's even worse.  It's like a livestock market or something. 
FTL is adding more international flights, so keep an eye out...and of course, for the time being I am here too!  ;D

I really liked Raleigh-Durham.  Everyone was nice, there's bars and restaurants at the gates (so you don't go through security and have nothing for hours) and best of all for me when I was there (in 97) you can SMOKE.  North Carolina being tobacco country and all.

Dallas-Ft. Worth was nice when I was there, and I seem to recall it was very easy to navigate as well.
And I have a big soft spot for Lambert in St. Louis, since we used to go there with my Dad all the time (he travelled a lot for business.)

In general though....I hate airports...because if I'm in one I'm probably going to fly...and so I'm terrified.  :-[

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 10:20:48 PM »
Love Tampa International Airport and Incheon (Seoul).

Nagano? in Japan had these great little buttons in the ladies' room stalls that make noise for you to cover, um, other noises.  Some of the restrooms had the holes in the ground, though, which takes quite a lot of leg strength to maneuver, IMO.  :o 

I like San Francisco a teeny bit better than LAX. Charlotte is a pretty decent airport, too.
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab